Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up with a few friends to what used to be a hot spot, but we have hit it now pretty good over the last few years, and the farmer now only deep discs, so finds are getting harder to get. This one spot has the ground disturbed from the tractor, so I decided to go over and run the Deus 2 over it. I got one signal jumping between 47 and 52 on the side of one of the furrows. And lookie who pops out! It was maybe 4" deep, but on its side. This is the first one like this I have ever found, or so I thought then remembered one from awhile ago, after being reminded. For some reason I remembered the other one as a liberty head. Getting old isn't fun. I also found a lot of minie balls and the iron was everywhere! I haven't cleaned it yet.
IMG_4039.JPG
IMG_4041.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG
IMG_4048.JPG

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
smokey -- CONGRATULATIONS on a beautiful coin! A U.S. gold coin resides right at the very top of my bucket list, as it does for many. And you got a BEAUT, right there.

CONGRATS!

Steve

Upvote 1
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I was not digging alone. One neighbor from down the street found 2 minies and a knapsack hook. He hadn't ever used a modern machine before. Another friend got a load of minies, a third got 2 seated dimes and a pretty silvered button and an eagle coat button. The last guy did ok with minies and a few other items but I didn't have the time to talk. I left early as the wind started howling and I was not prepared for that.

Upvote 1

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner coin for sure!!!! Sorry your fur face isn't feeling well, hope Smoke gets well soon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoke the cat is going to the $$$$$ vet tomorrow. Will get checkup, blood work, visit to cardiologist and a schedule to fix whatever it is. He is feeling better but he is almost 19.

This has been a slow/bad year overall for digging. (From memory, God help me with that) - this coin, the 17th century ghost toasties unidentified coin, I can't remember any silvers, not even a merc, no large cents of British halfpennies, one flattened Virginia CW button, two musket balls, one 18th century horse rosette, a cool 18th century mantle clock winder, one minie ball, one cool piece of unidentified brass, one 4 hole CW button. Some scrap lead and some modern coins. A few small 18th century buttons, I think 4? Not much for as many times as I've been out. Truth be told I never write down what YEAR I find stuff, so I come back to this site for the reminders! Getting old isn't for sissies. And I STILL don't know where that $5 gold coin is! I suppose I could have given it to the one daughter...but she squirrels stuff away also and can't remember either. Oh... I forgot about the Confederate frame buckle, the inexpensive kind, but absolutely Confederate. I had sent it off to someone to look at and forgot about it. Cat is having major face surgery Friday.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Booyahh! What a sweet find. I've recovered gold nuggets, but never a gold coin, must be a nice rush!

All the best,

Lanny

Upvote 1

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up with a few friends to what used to be a hot spot, but we have hit it now pretty good over the last few years, and the farmer now only deep discs, so finds are getting harder to get. This one spot has the ground disturbed from the tractor, so I decided to go over and run the Deus 2 over it. I got one signal jumping between 47 and 52 on the side of one of the furrows. And lookie who pops out! It was maybe 4" deep, but on its side. This is the first one like this I have ever found, or so I thought then remembered one from awhile ago, after being reminded. For some reason I remembered the other one as a liberty head. Getting old isn't fun. I also found a lot of minie balls and the iron was everywhere! I haven't cleaned it yet. View attachment 2018874 View attachment 2018875 View attachment 2018876 View attachment 2018877
That is a beaut. That would get my heart pumping. Congratulations!

Upvote 1

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was up with a few friends to what used to be a hot spot, but we have hit it now pretty good over the last few years, and the farmer now only deep discs, so finds are getting harder to get. This one spot has the ground disturbed from the tractor, so I decided to go over and run the Deus 2 over it. I got one signal jumping between 47 and 52 on the side of one of the furrows. And lookie who pops out! It was maybe 4" deep, but on its side. This is the first one like this I have ever found, or so I thought then remembered one from awhile ago, after being reminded. For some reason I remembered the other one as a liberty head. Getting old isn't fun. I also found a lot of minie balls and the iron was everywhere! I haven't cleaned it yet. View attachment 2018874 View attachment 2018875 View attachment 2018876 View attachment 2018877
wow, such an awesome find. Big time gratz!

Upvote 2

kfilli

May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find

Upvote 1

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super nice find!

Upvote 2

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Smokey! That is awesome!

Upvote 2

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dangit man I new I dropped my coin somewhere thanks for finding it ... all jokes aside MAN HELL OF A FIND ! WTG !

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread