Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up with a few friends to what used to be a hot spot, but we have hit it now pretty good over the last few years, and the farmer now only deep discs, so finds are getting harder to get. This one spot has the ground disturbed from the tractor, so I decided to go over and run the Deus 2 over it. I got one signal jumping between 47 and 52 on the side of one of the furrows. And lookie who pops out! It was maybe 4" deep, but on its side. This is the first one like this I have ever found, or so I thought then remembered one from awhile ago, after being reminded. For some reason I remembered the other one as a liberty head. Getting old isn't fun. I also found a lot of minie balls and the iron was everywhere! I haven't cleaned it yet.
IMG_4039.JPG
IMG_4041.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG
IMG_4048.JPG

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply beautiful! That is tough when all they do is disc. That plow goes so much deeper! Congrats

Upvote 1
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. It has a lot of miniscule scratches on both sides, and the reverse is worn worse, but no holes and not all bent up!

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I was up with a few friends to what used to be a hot spot, but we have hit it now pretty good over the last few years, and the farmer now only deep discs, so finds are getting harder to get. This one spot has the ground disturbed from the tractor, so I decided to go over and run the Deus 2 over it. I got one signal jumping between 47 and 52 on the side of one of the furrows. And lookie who pops out! It was maybe 4" deep, but on its side. This is the first one like this I have ever found, or so I thought then remembered one from awhile ago, after being reminded. For some reason I remembered the other one as a liberty head. Getting old isn't fun. I also found a lot of minie balls and the iron was everywhere! I haven't cleaned it yet. View attachment 2018874 View attachment 2018875 View attachment 2018876 View attachment 2018877
Congratultions! Nothing feels better in this hobby than opening a hole and seeing gold stare back at you.

Upvote 2

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, truly Banner find. Getting old is not fun, but metal detecting and finding gold coins has to be fun. Never found one, but it must be fantastic!

Upvote 2
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cat is having a surgery that may cost upwards of $3500 in 12 hours...I hope he makes it, he is almost 19. This is why I try to have no balances on my credit cards.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living on the East Coast- Mid Atlantic area has its perks. House next door was built 1780-90. Civil War soldiers went all through here. Five big battles within 125 miles. Several Rev War areas within the same distance. Lots of commerce in this part of the county early. We have a series of early locks on the river. Lots of American Indian occupation. Playgrounds, old abandoned fairgrounds, a WW2 pow camp, lots of stuff.

Upvote 3

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Living on the East Coast- Mid Atlantic area has its perks. House next door was built 1780-90. Civil War soldiers went all through here. Five big battles within 125 miles. Several Rev War areas within the same distance. Lots of commerce in this part of the county early. We have a series of early locks on the river. Lots of American Indian occupation. Playgrounds, old abandoned fairgrounds, a WW2 pow camp, lots of stuff.
I hear you bud, you'll find the history when you take the time to do the research. :thumbsup:

Too many folks get frustrated when they don't to find 'anything good'. But as we all know, the secret to making the finds such as you do, is to research where early settlement activity took place.

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Upvote 2

PastorBillV

Jul 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up with a few friends to what used to be a hot spot, but we have hit it now pretty good over the last few years, and the farmer now only deep discs, so finds are getting harder to get. This one spot has the ground disturbed from the tractor, so I decided to go over and run the Deus 2 over it. I got one signal jumping between 47 and 52 on the side of one of the furrows. And lookie who pops out! It was maybe 4" deep, but on its side. This is the first one like this I have ever found, or so I thought then remembered one from awhile ago, after being reminded. For some reason I remembered the other one as a liberty head. Getting old isn't fun. I also found a lot of minie balls and the iron was everywhere! I haven't cleaned it yet. View attachment 2018874 View attachment 2018875 View attachment 2018876 View attachment 2018877
WOW - a life time find! I'll bet that had you jumping/yelling! :)

Upvote 2

Metal Defector

Dec 5, 2020
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is my dream! Awesome!

Upvote 3

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent find! Great banner! Can’t keep an old dog down LOL! Keep it up, Smokey!

Upvote 1

UncleDude

Greenie
May 15, 2019
San Diego, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible coin! I still haven't bit the bullet on getting a detector and learning but stuff like this really makes me want to. (I know finds like this are extremely rare, but still!)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cat was at the vets 24 hours. They kept on telling me "stories" about how he was having his untrasound "now". Four times from 1 pm to 10 pm! Talk about stress! They weren't really honest on the cost at the first vet. I will talk to them Monday. Maybe. I see they did knock the price down $100 so I guess I'll let it go. Probably not worth it. I politely chewed out the doctor for their communications skills last night and he apologized and I suggested he get his staff some training on how to phrase things better and not be a bunch of da**ed liars in the meantime. Later one of the staff members told me some folks had the police called on them. Was it the service or the bill?

Kitty is toast. Maybe in a few days, weeks, maybe even a few months, but toast. All four of my cats are terminal. The cat I took in, Smoke the Magnificent is the one who just turned 19! I had his birthday off by a few weeks! Well, we're having a party for him tomorrow. He is eating like a hog. On pain meds for tooth and antibiotics. They will NOT pull it. One is a gel for me to put in his mouth. I came so close to driving down there close to midnight last night, to chew them out and retrieve my cat, in the dark, and in the rain and thunderstorms and screaming at them, well, it was close, and I've never done any such thing, but when you're older you realize how little time you have left and don't want to put up with garbage anymore - but the Holy Spirit told me "no". So I pulled the truck back in the driveway. My hair was on fire. Not literally. It was the not telling of the whole truth that did me in. Today I went digging 85 miles away with my local club and found a brass rivet. Nothing else. But I liked to ride. All true. You can't make this up. Plus someone trespassed on my farm property so it is off limits till the property owners and I say otherwise. Maybe forever. FOUR gold coins and dozens of silvers have come out of it. I still have permission, but...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread