Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up with a few friends to what used to be a hot spot, but we have hit it now pretty good over the last few years, and the farmer now only deep discs, so finds are getting harder to get. This one spot has the ground disturbed from the tractor, so I decided to go over and run the Deus 2 over it. I got one signal jumping between 47 and 52 on the side of one of the furrows. And lookie who pops out! It was maybe 4" deep, but on its side. This is the first one like this I have ever found, or so I thought then remembered one from awhile ago, after being reminded. For some reason I remembered the other one as a liberty head. Getting old isn't fun. I also found a lot of minie balls and the iron was everywhere! I haven't cleaned it yet.
IMG_4039.JPG
IMG_4041.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG
IMG_4048.JPG

Last edited:

Whynotme

Greenie
Feb 16, 2022
I was up with a few friends to what used to be a hot spot, but we have hit it now pretty good over the last few years, and the farmer now only deep discs, so finds are getting harder to get. This one spot has the ground disturbed from the tractor, so I decided to go over and run the Deus 2 over it. I got one signal jumping between 47 and 52 on the side of one of the furrows. And lookie who pops out! It was maybe 4" deep, but on its side. This is the first one like this I have ever found, or so I thought then remembered one from awhile ago, after being reminded. For some reason I remembered the other one as a liberty head. Getting old isn't fun. I also found a lot of minie balls and the iron was everywhere! I haven't cleaned it yet. View attachment 2018874 View attachment 2018875 View attachment 2018876 View attachment 2018877
Absolutely stunning! Must have been pinching yourself. Congratulations!

Upvote 1

Whynotme

Greenie
Feb 16, 2022
Cat was at the vets 24 hours. They kept on telling me "stories" about how he was having his untrasound "now". Four times from 1 pm to 10 pm! Talk about stress! They weren't really honest on the cost at the first vet. I will talk to them Monday. Maybe. I see they did knock the price down $100 so I guess I'll let it go. Probably not worth it. I politely chewed out the doctor for their communications skills last night and he apologized and I suggested he get his staff some training on how to phrase things better and not be a bunch of da**ed liars in the meantime. Later one of the staff members told me some folks had the police called on them. Was it the service or the bill?

Kitty is toast. Maybe in a few days, weeks, maybe even a few months, but toast. All four of my cats are terminal. The cat I took in, Smoke the Magnificent is the one who just turned 19! I had his birthday off by a few weeks! Well, we're having a party for him tomorrow. He is eating like a hog. On pain meds for tooth and antibiotics. They will NOT pull it. One is a gel for me to put in his mouth. I came so close to driving down there close to midnight last night, to chew them out and retrieve my cat, in the dark, and in the rain and thunderstorms and screaming at them, well, it was close, and I've never done any such thing, but when you're older you realize how little time you have left and don't want to put up with garbage anymore - but the Holy Spirit told me "no". So I pulled the truck back in the driveway. My hair was on fire. Not literally. It was the not telling of the whole truth that did me in. Today I went digging 85 miles away with my local club and found a brass rivet. Nothing else. But I liked to ride. All true. You can't make this up. Plus someone trespassed on my farm property so it is off limits till the property owners and I say otherwise. Maybe forever. FOUR gold coins and dozens of silvers have come out of it. I still have permission, but...
So sorry to hear about Smoke the Magnificent. The hardest part about having a pet is letting them go. They are truly part of your family.

Upvote 1

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was up with a few friends to what used to be a hot spot, but we have hit it now pretty good over the last few years, and the farmer now only deep discs, so finds are getting harder to get. This one spot has the ground disturbed from the tractor, so I decided to go over and run the Deus 2 over it. I got one signal jumping between 47 and 52 on the side of one of the furrows. And lookie who pops out! It was maybe 4" deep, but on its side. This is the first one like this I have ever found, or so I thought then remembered one from awhile ago, after being reminded. For some reason I remembered the other one as a liberty head. Getting old isn't fun. I also found a lot of minie balls and the iron was everywhere! I haven't cleaned it yet. View attachment 2018874 View attachment 2018875 View attachment 2018876 View attachment 2018877
Beautiful find Smokey and I’m so sorry to hear your cat is not doing well.

Upvote 1

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one great find , congratulations! Its also good info to know that it rang up from 47 to 52 on your Deus 2...just got mine a few days ago and getting to learn it already. I am so used to the midtones range of a Whites brand ( 50-63 vdi ) and those numbers where among my favorites to dig, I nicknamed them "grab bag fifties ". What is a good midtones range on the D2 in your opinion? Once again, great find

Upvote 1
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most brass CW style buttons ring up in the mid 60's. Most pull tabs come in at 73, similar to the Deus I, but I dig them all because I have found gold on the Deus I from the lowest number of 45 to a high of 92. Go figure. I haven't dug any gold yet , jewelry that is, but I COULD take my own ring and test it in the lawn. I probably should do a lawn test. I thought the gold coin was iffy at first because it is quite near the "aluminum can breeding ground" at that site. It didn't sound quite right, so I dug it. Not much turned up there this year, although it's my group's best site. That's not saying much. Sites are getting harder to find.

Upvote 1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gh.Gold Hunt STOP spamming members thread.....!!!!!

Upvote 1

TheeOldPirate

Apr 19, 2022
California
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Minelab

I found a 1852 D Gold Coin in Washington,Ca. In the 1990's..
I kept it for 20 year's. Recently I saw value's we're pretty high for it. So I went to see what is was worth. Now I found this in a Gold mining camp in California. I have found other Gold 10$ and a 5$. So I wasn't thinking about it.
But it Turned out to be a Fake. I had it checked twice. Then read about it. Turned out after all these years I thought it was. Real.
20180807_IMG_20180806_224029579-ccfopt.jpg

Upvote 2

Digdiggirl

Apr 21, 2022
Amazing! I can only dream of such a great find!

Upvote 1

1LWiL15

Nov 15, 2021
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Barska Winbest Elite Edition, Bounty Hunter TK-IV, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Ace Apex, XP ORX, XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find dude. Congrats.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found essentially one "good" item all of the November to April season. This one. Only reason I figure I got it is that I went into a deep tractor cut and it was in there. Put several thousand miles on the truck, dug in three states, just one minie ball, two round balls, an 18th century horse boss bit, several flat buttons, a squished Virginia CW button and one token, the what I thought was a 17th century token/farthing turned out to be junk, so very, very little for so much work. It's getting tough out there. FOUR places I went I only got the semi precious aluminum and a few bottle caps.

Upvote 0

authorann

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2013
Poultney, VT
Detector(s) used
Fisher M-Scope
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a top-pocket find, for sure!
Ann Duncan

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just now seen the post Smokey. Great find, tiny coin to uncover, the $1 coin. Probably not your first gold coin, just a feeling. Right now I have no way to send a picture, but after 35 years of detecting, I have finally joined the club. this last Feb. found my first and only gold coin, a 1854 S $10 gold eagle, looking as though it was just lost. The first year of minting for San Francisco. A long story, but the climb out of that canyon about killed my legs. Good for us!

Upvote 4

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus 2 worth good in that iron or was it still iffy signals

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY VERY NICE BANNER !!!

Upvote 0

orange_sweetheart

Sep 5, 2014
Denton, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fabulous! That is a GREAT find!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread