diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a heathkit GD-1190 cointracker at a yard sale for $10.00.It seems to register battery power,via the meter,but it doesn't actually work.If I disconnect the search coil,I get a constant beep.Anyway,my question is,is this thing even worth trying to fix,I can't seem to find any parts or supplies for this thing,i'm sure it's from the 70's or early 80's but it looks as if it has never been used. I figured if I could get it fixed for cheap,maybe I could get the "ole lady" out there with me.Any info would be helpful.diggummup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Heathkit was a US company that specialized in kits for hobbyists to learn about building electronic circuits. Used to be you could buy radios, digital clocks, and other electronic gadgets in kit form and put them together yourself. I don't know if they are still in business-- the last time I saw a Heathkit store was probably 20 years ago. You might do a web search (Google 'Heathkit') and see what you come up with. You might also try a local 'ma & pa' type electronics store for more info.

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Try looking up a Tech college, I took one to the electronics teacher to be repaired, Sometimes students need items to repair for their grade. Also it's cheaper to make a small donation rather than paying a repair shop.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Actually there is one for sale on E-Bay right now. 7 day auction- after 4 days it is up to $5. It doesn't say if it works. They are also selling a later VLF model 1290 again it is up to $5. The 1190 came out in 1983. My guess is that it was an already obsolete BFO model. The Healthkit line went belly up in the mid 80's.
Don't do this to your wife. Give it a nice home in the dumpster.? Besides being a piece of crap I imagine it would be too heavy(or poorly balanced)for her to use. Find a good used recent LIGHT VLF(lots of good,used light Tesoros out there) Something you could use as a "backup". You want her to be just as excited about your hobby as you are and a hunting partner. Why am I starting to sound like Ann Landers?

George

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No,I didn't give it to the wife,she got a little BH Lonestar,she hasn't really used it yet :(.As for the heathkit,it's just gathering dust,kinda funny looking old thing,quite comical looking at it next to the others. :D ;D :) that's more or less the only reason I bought it anyway,I collect all kinds of "junk".Take it easy,good luck and H.H.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Have a lot of "Grief-Kit" stuff back here in Lowbatts Labs including Hero Jr. and any number of assorted odds and ends. I don't think the old home brew MD kits were meant for much more than finding a Buick in driveway. No Heathkit is not in business any more and a lot of us who troubled over their stuff miss them. My first 8 bit PC was the HS-151, an entire 8088 PC in pieces and man was there ever a LOT of jumper wires to solder in as things progressed. But it did last for over ten years!

Gotta say though, use that old MD for a paperweight or start a museum with it!

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
If you can't get it fixed, just pretend you forgot to bring it in, someone will swipe it. I've done that with something that didn't work. Saved taking it to the trash.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will hang on the wall right next to the 1960 sprite sign and the bakelite radios,it deserves a little respect,it will have a decent burial! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread