10 acres and a.....

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
An old protractor. 10 acres and iv gone this way, that way and its been scun by illegal hunters.
Our backyard that once had an old gold lead run through it.
The old guy who lives over the road told me that when this place got sold it was vacant for several months, roughly 11 yrs ago. He said as soon as the previous owners moved out people were there nearly every day, sometimes on moonlit nights too. The new owners had not given permission to anyone and never new what was going on as nobody knew who to contact. Old guy said it went on for nearly 2 months. Its the most signal scarce place like this iv detected. I was really expecting to find some good finds. Alas, not to be.
This...
IMG_20220802_161925_257~2.jpg

From all this. ๐Ÿ˜†
IMG_20220723_142044_041~2.jpg

Upvote 12

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An old protractor. 10 acres and iv gone this way, that way and its been scun by illegal hunters.
The old guy who lives over the road told me that when this place got sold it was vacant for several months, roughly 11 yrs ago. He said as soon as the previous owners moved out people were there nearly every day, sometimes on moonlit nights too. The new owners had not given permission to anyone and never new what was going on as nobody knew who to contact. Old guy said it went on for nearly 2 months. Its the most signal scarce place like this iv detected. I was really expecting to find some good finds. Alas, not to be.
This...
View attachment 2039787
From all this. ๐Ÿ˜†
View attachment 2039789
Bloody nighthawkers really cleaned it out.

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Bloody nighthawkers really cleaned it out.
Did they ever. They must have bagged every signal to check later. That's the only explanation for there being so few if any targets.
Im due for a decent find soon, so id like to think. :laughing7:
Bad weather here now, next week im looking forward to a day out somewhere nice though.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up the digging and good luck :) BTW a protractor. is used for measuring angles a compass is used for making circles

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to be that guy, but that is a compass not a protractor. Bummer that it was hit hard before you got there.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the place could have likely been void of targets to begin with. I feel most any nighthawk hunters trespassing there would have likely left or skipped the trash . So, in my opinion if you're not finding any trash, there might not have been much there to begin with

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Hate to be that guy, but that is a compass not a protractor. Bummer that it was hit hard before you got there.
Ahh, stupid google lens ๐Ÿ˜’

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
the place could have likely been void of targets to begin with. I feel most any nighthawk hunters trespassing there would have likely left or skipped the trash . So, in my opinion if you're not finding any trash, there might not have been much there to begin with
Hi mate. The area was a gold lead and according to the local historian a very active and rich one. It was ploughed flat in the early 1900s.
What happened here was up until 11 yrs ago there was no sewerage. At the time it was sold a large pipe to service several streets was put in across this paddock area. As people obviously heard what was going on, a rich lead that had been ploughed flat was ripped up in they came.
A pipe weeks earlier layed a number of nuggets were found up to 5 ounces about 1/2 a kilometre away from here. I knew about that one back then but not about this one here.
The majority would have been here for the gold. Some would have used non disc pulse, yeah they have limited disc but are unreliable and most here know that and never use it. Id then imagine them at night going at it and its easier to pocket the lot in a find bag, get as many targets as possible and sort them later. Iv done that in the past, not moonlighting I hate that just an area with lots of targets, when there was lots of tiny bits but also lots of small scrap. If you sorted each target, no disc, youd be there forever. My misses would come with me and id put the reduced dirt in a bucket. That way youd get 10 times 20 times more targets. Id just pan it out at home later. Guys do that here with gold in junk areas, also there is a habit of very many to dig up most targets as gold can in nugget form show up all over the place on id numbers. Often a nugget with ironstone shows up way down the scale and some will even fully discriminate out. I met a guy who showed me a 40 ounce bit on the day he found it. He was using a PI and after digging in hard ground thought "ill see if its junk" it fully discriminated out. He walked away, was finding nothing so about an hour before leaving thought "ah ill see what it is anyway" The detector discriminated out a 40 ounce nugget. So you can see why, the night crews especially, bag the lot detecting as many signals as they can and check them later. Others here have the habit of taking every target they detect.
Take old Inglewood town site central Vic. I went there yrs ago and it was target city, coins, old costume jewelry, junk, bullets the lot. I went there just a month or so ago and you can walk around for several minutes now until you get a signal if your lucky. One now would think there had not been much there, but it was alive back then.
I will discriminate with a vlf, but only in dead quiet nuetral ground like pipeclay but will check all numbers from 2 upwards. Hot ground forget it. Throws it all out.
Cheers ๐Ÿ‘

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This...
View attachment 2039787
From all this. ๐Ÿ˜†
View attachment 2039789
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread