Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tdog, wouldn't be WST if found on the coast in Santa Cruz.....probably Ano Nuevo and its a really nice one
I knew it was out of range but thought it may be an outlier. I trust you guys judgement over mine on those western US pieces any day. However, Relicgrubber's Cougar Mountain suggestion looks like a good fit.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a head scratcher as to age and type though. It checks some boxes for Ano Nuevo, Excelsior, etc… but it’s much more like a paleo piece similar to Cougar Mountain. Either way…it’s one of my nicest!
Certainly looks like a cougar mountain. I’m reading that cougar mountain is known for showing signs of grinding.

“Hafting region grinding is present on this point”.

Take a look in that area?

I see that cougar Mtn. range falls in my area..kind of inspires me to get out and look.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CHUDs

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly looks like a cougar mountain. I’m reading that cougar mountain is known for showing signs of grinding.

“Hafting region grinding is present on this point”.

Take a look in that area?

I see that cougar Mtn. range falls in my area..kind of inspires me to get out and look.
There doesn’t appear to be any basal grinding. It’s an interesting piece that has characteristics of many types and doesn’t entirely fit into the local types.

OP
OP
CHUDs

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it was out of range but thought it may be an outlier. I trust you guys judgement over mine on those western US pieces any day. However, Relicgrubber's Cougar Mountain suggestion looks like a good fit.
It fits the Cougar Mountain type almost perfectly, except that it falls outside of the known range.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely Franciscan chert. It was only about 15 miles from Ano Nuevo where it was found. It doesn’t have an apiculate which is a defining feature of Ano Nuevo. Shoulders are more centered and defined as well.
A number have been found without an apiculate feature I doubt you can find a paleo with a sharp pointed tip like your point. Early studies linked Ano Nuevo with Lake Mojave, but it has been said no thorough technological analysis has been conducted. The similarity appears to be only superficial. But this is California who knows what's been traded in or buried. Some studies were done on large collections of Lake Mojave points from Calaveras County that shows carefully spaced pressure thinning of the haft elements that is quite unlike examples of Ano Nuevo Long Stem. Your point is a fine example of whatever it turns out to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CHUDs

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A number have been found without an apiculate feature I doubt you can find a paleo with a sharp pointed tip like your point. Early studies linked Ano Nuevo with Lake Mojave, but it has been said no thorough technological analysis has been conducted. The similarity appears to be only superficial. But this California who knows what's been traded in or buried. Some studies were done on large collections of Lake Mojave points from Calaveras County that shows carefully spaced pressure thinning of the haft elements that is quite unlike examples of Ano Nuevo Long Stem. Your point is a fine example of whatever it turns out to be.
Killer information! As always, thanks!

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a closer look at the stem sometimes you can feel the light grinding. When I magnified the photo, I thought there was light grinding?

OP
OP
CHUDs

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a closer look at the stem sometimes you can feel the light grinding. When I magnified the photo, I thought there was light grinding?
It’s hard to tell. Some of the ridges do appear to be knocked down a bit compared to the upper part of the point. The edges still feel sharp on the lower section. Not as sharp as above the shoulders but the point has a more round profile on the stem. I guess a more experienced eye needs to see it to determine if it’s real grinding.

Edit: I’ve been examining it more. I think it is ground on the surface. Not so much the edges.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions