100 y/o logging camp pearl suspenders!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some luck the past few weeks in the 100 y/o logging camp that I have been detecting for the past two years. I found my 20th set of suspenders and it was a thrilling one. I took it home dirty and to my amazement the crust fell off with ease to reveal mother of pearl! I started to clean the back of the suspender clip and that it when I noticed I had previously found the other half, but it was missing the mother of pearl...i'm still sifting so it might turn up:thumbsup:. I found my second silver coin and it was another dime only this one was from Canada...only in circulation 2 years before it went in the ground. A indian head penny and a half set of Bulldog extra heavy suspenders. I also found a couple more pipe bits. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the orange pipe with the dark bubbles was made of? Also found a third color of amber whiskey. Thanks

Attachments

• P4020287.JPG
    P4020287.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 272
  • P4020286.JPG
    P4020286.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 346
  • P4020293.JPG
    P4020293.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 303
  • P4010243.JPG
    P4010243.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 271
  • P3290217.JPG
    P3290217.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 243
  • P4030298.JPG
    P4030298.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 253
  • P4010238.JPG
    P4010238.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 247
  • P4010253.JPG
    P4010253.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 244
  • P4020274.JPG
    P4020274.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 11

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds.Those suspender clips are cool.thanks for sharing.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice :thumbsup:congratulations8-)

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello highnam,

I believe the pipe stems are both hard rubber, and Bakelite for the faux tortoise shell look.

6774352_1_l.jpg
VINTAGE GERMAN BAKELITE PIPE HANDLE OR STEM IN ORI : Lot 254

Here's a few of my hard rubber ones:

DSC04194_zps6635af35.jpg
Hey Surf- Looks like you have a bit just like the hard rubber one I found...I thought that bakelite was after 1912 and the translucent red and orange pipes were probably celluliod made to look like cherry amber and the other amber tortoise? The orange pipe has some mean bite marks on the tip and someone suggested those darker bubbles were tabbaco stains?

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats and HH!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey highnam,

I think you'll find that Bakelite dates to 1907 New York.

"It was developed by Belgian-born chemist Leo Baekeland in New York in 1907.
One of the first plastics made from synthetic components, Bakelite was used for its electrical nonconductivity and heat-resistant properties in electrical insulators, radio and telephone casings, and such diverse products as kitchenware, jewelry, pipe stems, and children's toys. Bakelite was designated a National Historic Chemical Landmark in 1993 by the American Chemical Society in recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic." Bakelite

Some pipes, themselves, were made of Bakelite.

BB064.1L.jpg

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highnam, Where you hunting? My Dad (and Mom) was in the mts of NE Oregon, when he worked at a lumber camp, just after they were married. I have a feeling that there would be much to find in/around their camp. It had a cooks tent, and the men/wives lived in semi-permanent tents. BTW, I'm now living/hunting in S. Korea.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highnam, I read once that at least some of the logging camps paid in gold coin and the little ones are easily lost as they are so small. Neat finds so far, hope they continue and get even better............63bkpkr

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Love your assortment of finds! Nice amber bottles! I also wonder which state you're hunting in??? No need to give us GPS coordinates though -- lol. HH Andi

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love your assortment of finds! Nice amber bottles! I also wonder which state you're hunting in??? No need to give us GPS coordinates though -- lol. HH Andi
Thanks golden years! I'm in western Washington state not far from the Canadian border, hunting a row of burned bunkhouses, pick'n out nails handful of dirt at a time...

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highnam, I read once that at least some of the logging camps paid in gold coin and the little ones are easily lost as they are so small. Neat finds so far, hope they continue and get even better............63bkpkr
I like the thought, I am surprised to see how small some of the gold coins are that I've seen on here...hopefully the finds do keep getting better, slowing preparing you for the golden moment....too much for a rookie to take in. I've paid my dues...I'm ready!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and I are alike as We'd paid our dues. I detect/prospect for gold and in 2010 I finally found my nugget patch/paystreak. It was a real thrill and an adventure I will live many times over. Pictures help the memories stay correct so I took a lot. Best of success with your row of bunk houses and the main camp itself, a daunting task but then so is metal detecting an entire river canyon to find gold. I found the gold long before and have not yet detected the entire canyon.

Recently I saw a video of a fellow detecting an abandoned home site. He was looking at the outside of the house where boards were loose, pulled one of them away and there was a fifty cent piece. Moral of the story, do not forget to detect the floor frames of the bunk houses.............63bkpkr

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and I are alike as We'd paid our dues. I detect/prospect for gold and in 2010 I finally found my nugget patch/paystreak. It was a real thrill and an adventure I will live many times over. Pictures help the memories stay correct so I took a lot. Best of success with your row of bunk houses and the main camp itself, a daunting task but then so is metal detecting an entire river canyon to find gold. I found the gold long before and have not yet detected the entire canyon.

Recently I saw a video of a fellow detecting an abandoned home site. He was looking at the outside of the house where boards were loose, pulled one of them away and there was a fifty cent piece. Moral of the story, do not forget to detect the floor frames of the bunk houses.............63bkpkr
Congrats on the pay streak...seems nothing comes easy in this hobby, but the more work that goes into finding good ground the sweeter the payoff!
I'm lucky to have some good ground with this row of bunkhouses, the fact that they burned is the only reason I'm finding what I have...otherwise the bunkhouses and other buildings would have been loaded onto the rail car and moved to the next camp. The result of the fire left no visual evidence the bunkhouses were ever there, I found were the row had been only by the nails left in the ground. Good luck to you 63bkpkr...we are no doubt alike.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks surf for the info! Still enjoying the hard rubber items...crazy how hard rubber and early plastics were so popular around the turn of the century!

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too am in western-ish WA (on the west side of the cascades at least) and I have been dying to find an old logging camp around here. I know there were a lot of them, but finding them on old maps is next to impossible. I will keep searching tho.

Super cool finds! That MOP suspender clip is the bees knees!!!!

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hendo!
I found my camp off info passed down through my family...the sight got me into MD'ing and I have passed 3 years hunting the camp...most camps were loaded onto rail cars and moved to the next location...check out old publications of "The Timberman" in your area and look for info in the "fire record" to get tips on camps that had a fire and that might have some goodies left over. Talk to local old timers with logging backgrounds, you never know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread