100+ YO Silver, Glass, and Stoneware All From the Same Hole!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20211015_230524.jpg

Was on my way back to the 1890's spot that I was at yesterday, but decided to put some test holes in some other places along the way. Long story short I never got to the 1890's spot because by sheer dumb luck, in my very first test hole, there was a fully intact hand-made stoneware pitcher. I don't know about you but it screems 19th century to me.
Polish_20211015_232829035.jpg

The handle still has the craftsman's finger prints where it is attached.
Polish_20211015_233125889.jpg

So I decided to stay in this area and dig some more. I litterally just started digging and immediately found more things. Here are individual images of some of the things I found, these all came from the same hole (I use the term 'hole' lightly as it was more of a gigantic expansive trench):
20211015_231230.jpg

These two coins were among the first finds, a 1916 Mercury dime (regrettably it is razored from 100 years of salt water exposure), and a wheat cent - date unknown.
20211015_165439.jpg

A newspaper fragment from "World Magazine April 6, 1---" you don't know how disappointed I was to have been sooooo close to getting a year off of this. If the paper was just a centimeter or two more intact I would have known. I did see a fragment of an ad in the paper that said "inquiry by telegraph", so it's at least from the time telegraphs were still in use. And there was an image of a woman with a very big hat - a style that was more akin to the pre-WWI era.
20211015_230905.jpg

A still-corked cobalt blue "1 1/2 oz" inkwell. Later at home... I discovered that the ink, though somewhat waterlogged, was still inside, and my mom used it to write something. I decided to put the ink in a shallow dish to evaporate the excess water so it can become more concentrated - then I will put it back in the inkwell and cork it again.
Polish_20211015_230801350.jpg

20211015_235708.jpg

20211015_224920.jpg

Next up is this Sloan's Liniment bottle. I've found similar bottles before but never one that included the words, "KILLS PAIN" I thought that was kinda cool, this bottle is 3Fl ounces and machine-made.
20211015_225125.jpg

A hand-tooled Carbona bottle by Carbona Products Co. It is a 10-sided decagon in shape. It came with a cork and still contained a smelly remnant of something inside that I dumped out. I kept the cork and it's being conserved for later reuniting with the bottle.
20211015_224934.jpg

Here's a nice hand-tooled bottle made by the famed Whitall Tatum Co. for a pharmacist named Richard J. G. Doelger. The bottle indicates that he ran an apothecary at 92-Eight Ave., N.Y.
20211015_225011.jpg

This tiny bottle says, "G. H. SELICK PERFUMER. N.Y." it came with a teeny tiny cork that is being conserved. This tiny bottle has a hand-tooled top.
20211015_224957.jpg
I believe this bottle say, "Dr Kerkolh PARIS". It appears to have once had a glass stopper. The top is hand-tooled.
20211015_225108.jpg

This is just a stunning glazed ceramic marble. It has three white dots on it from the tripod it sat on while being fired in the kiln. Some lucky child either had wealthy parents to afford this or some good skill to win it from some other child. This is probably the coolest clay marble I've ever found.
20211015_225213.jpg

Here's a very nice hand-tooled strap-sided Warranted whiskey flask. It says "5 OZ" under the "Warranted" but is difficult to see. This is the thinnest flask I have ever found - it is only an inch thick, very concealable.
20211015_210522.jpg

A broken Horn and Hardart saucer. Wish it was intact, the Horn and Hardart automat was essentially a fast food resturant but before fast food was invented. Everything was automated and you were trusted to return the plates and silverware on the honor system. This peice was made in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania.

I also found a bromo seltzer bottle, with the cork (and still with some gooey bromo seltzer residue inside), a W. Rogers fork, and a wooden hairbrush still with the bristles that I deemed too nasty to take - though I did stash it somewhere safe. I also found many blank bottles, beer bottles - one from the Lion Brewery, ceramic jug fragments (kept these just in case I find more to piece them back with but they're pretty small fragments), also found a cobalt blue poison bottle but it was regrettably cracked and wasn't the kind with a skull or anything that interesting on it. And that's about it.

Upvote 30

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good eye on the silver dime.
That pitcher is a winner for sure, beautiful recovery.
For a test-well you passed with flying colours.
Thanks for sharing the hunt recoveries.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great post, fantastic pics with an interesting backstory, I wish every post looked like yours UnderMiner! :occasion14:
Congrats on your finds, I love how you photographed the ink being poured out of the cobalt bottle too.
Dave

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
And that's about it.
Are you kidding me? "And that's about it." These are awesome finds "by sheer dumb luck." Any chance of getting a pic of all that you recovered ? You mentioned other finds. One group pic of it all? Great post Underminer and congratulations on everything that you recovered!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underminer, those are some nice finds; I especially love the pitcher. An excellent presentation too.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1985421
Was on my way back to the 1890's spot that I was at yesterday, but decided to put some test holes in some other places along the way. Long story short I never got to the 1890's spot because by sheer dumb luck, in my very first test hole, there was a fully intact hand-made stoneware pitcher. I don't know about you but it screems 19th century to me. View attachment 1985422
View attachment 1985423

So I decided to stay in this area and dig some more. I litterally just started digging and immediately found more things. Here are individual images of some of the things I found, these all came from the same hole (I use the term 'hole' lightly as it was more of a gigantic expansive trench):
View attachment 1985424
These two coins were among the first finds, a 1916 Mercury dime (regrettably it is razored from 100 years of salt water exposure), and a wheat cent - date unknown.
View attachment 1985425
A newspaper fragment from "World Magazine April 6, 1---" you don't know how disappointed I was to have been sooooo close to getting a year off of this. If the paper was just a centimeter or two more intact I would have known. I did see a fragment of an ad in the paper that said "inquiry by telegraph", so it's at least from the time telegraphs were still in use. And there was an image of a woman with a very big hat - a style that was more akin to the pre-WWI era.
View attachment 1985426
A still-corked cobalt blue "1 1/2 oz" inkwell. Later at home... I discovered that the ink, though somewhat waterlogged, was still inside, and my mom used it to write something. I decided to put the ink in a shallow dish to evaporate the excess water so it can become more concentrated - then I will put it back in the inkwell and cork it again. View attachment 1985427
View attachment 1985428

View attachment 1985429
Next up is this Sloan's Liniment bottle. I've found similar bottles before but never one that included the words, "KILLS PAIN" I thought that was kinda cool, this bottle is 3Fl ounces and machine-made.
View attachment 1985430
A hand-tooled Carbona bottle by Carbona Products Co. It is a 10-sided decagon in shape. It came with a cork and still contained a smelly remnant of something inside that I dumped out. I kept the cork and it's being conserved for later reuniting with the bottle.
View attachment 1985431
Here's a nice hand-tooled bottle made by the famed Whitall Tatum Co. for a pharmacist named Richard J. G. Doelger. The bottle indicates that he ran an apothecary at 92-Eight Ave., N.Y.
View attachment 1985432
This tiny bottle says, "G. H. SELICK PERFUMER. N.Y." it came with a teeny tiny cork that is being conserved. This tiny bottle has a hand-tooled top.
View attachment 1985433 I believe this bottle say, "Dr Kerkolh PARIS". It appears to have once had a glass stopper. The top is hand-tooled.
View attachment 1985434
This is just a stunning glazed ceramic marble. It has three white dots on it from the tripod it sat on while being fired in the kiln. Some lucky child either had wealthy parents to afford this or some good skill to win it from some other child. This is probably the coolest clay marble I've ever found.
View attachment 1985435
Here's a very nice hand-tooled strap-sided Warranted whiskey flask. It says "5 OZ" under the "Warranted" but is difficult to see. This is the thinnest flask I have ever found - it is only an inch thick, very concealable.
View attachment 1985436
A broken Horn and Hardart saucer. Wish it was intact, the Horn and Hardart automat was essentially a fast food resturant but before fast food was invented. Everything was automated and you were trusted to return the plates and silverware on the honor system. This peice was made in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania.

I also found a bromo seltzer bottle, with the cork (and still with some gooey bromo seltzer residue inside), a W. Rogers fork, and a wooden hairbrush still with the bristles that I deemed too nasty to take - though I did stash it somewhere safe. I also found many blank bottles, beer bottles - one from the Lion Brewery, ceramic jug fragments (kept these just in case I find more to piece them back with but they're pretty small fragments), also found a cobalt blue poison bottle but it was regrettably cracked and wasn't the kind with a skull or anything that interesting on it. And that's about it.
Those are awesome finds. I love all the early bottles and such as they just for me have so much more character. Most the old bottles and pottery I have are just many shards I've picked up from old homesites and ghosts towns.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1985421
Was on my way back to the 1890's spot that I was at yesterday, but decided to put some test holes in some other places along the way. Long story short I never got to the 1890's spot because by sheer dumb luck, in my very first test hole, there was a fully intact hand-made stoneware pitcher. I don't know about you but it screems 19th century to me. View attachment 1985422
View attachment 1985423

View attachment 1985424
View attachment 1985425
View attachment 1985426
A still-corked cobalt blue "1 1/2 oz" inkwell. Later at home... I discovered that the ink, though somewhat waterlogged, was still inside, and my mom used it to write something. I decided to put the ink in a shallow dish to evaporate the excess water so it can become more concentrated - then I will put it back in the inkwell and cork it again. View attachment 1985427
View attachment 1985428

View attachment 1985429
View attachment 1985430
View attachment 1985431
View attachment 1985432
View attachment 1985433 I believe this bottle say, "Dr Kerkolh PARIS". It appears to have once had a glass stopper. The top is hand-tooled.
View attachment 1985434
View attachment 1985435
View attachment 1985436

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Richard J. G. Doelger was born in Germany in 1871 and emigrated to the US in 1890. 1900 census finds him living with his mother and siblings at 212 W. 114th Street, Manhattan. His occupation is a drug store clerk.
By 1910, he was living with his adult siblings in the Bronx at 376 Mott Avenue. His occupation is listed as a druggist!
This should give you and idea of the age of your bottle.

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The oldest I can find for Charles H. Selick is an 1880 New York city directory. His perfume business was at 38 Whitehall, New York, New York. The latest directory I can find for him is 1917. Between 1880 and 1917, he had his business' at various locations thru NY and the Bronx.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread