1000 Acre Permission - More Games Strips/Bird Cover - Hammered + Pilgrim's Ampulla...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are getting desperate & trying areas we would normally not bother with because we suspect no older finds (plus no intel). We started in the morning by doing 4 Bird Covers that were on the low lying previously drained marshland. After 3 hours we only had 2 buttons, a buckle, bits & a medallion.
After lunch we thought we would finish off the small area we got rained off last time, do a small area which produced nothing before the last plough & then the options would be complete.
However before we moved I had a hunch about a small bit of failed Wheat which was on slightly higher ground & was transitioning from marsh to clay. (ie in the past the last bit of the dry ground) Whilst I did this small area, Cru'dad scouted around the nearby wood. I found a Roman Coin & Cru'dad found another huge Bird Cover of at least 1 acre that we never knew existed.
We moved to this new area & started the grid not far from a bird scarer going off every 50 mins.
It looked a really good spot on the slightly higher ground & I was pretty sure we would get something good. It was however, surprisingly quiet, but I saw the odd piece of Medieval Pot so it kept my hopes up. I dug the Ampulla from very deep, my deepest best find with the Deus II so far. It was at least 12 inches & you can tell it's been below plough depth for sometime. Then, just as we did our last run thinking we had killed our Silver Streak, Cru'dad got the hammered.

5 Hours:
1911 Coronation Medallion of King George & Queen Mary (very worn)
Hammered Farthing of Ed I
Sestertius of Nerva AD97
(Not good condition but it's our first of that Emperor, so its in to the album as a gap filler) Looked like this & is pretty rare, in the low thousands in good nick:
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=2820&lot=374
Pilgrims Lead Ampulla for holding Holy Water that came from the Shrine of Thomas Becket, Canterbury Cathedral. (I'm pretty sure this is the first Ampulla I've found that I could ID the Shrine)

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Upvote 15

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a Ses far from something happend to me a couple times. Weird. A Ses wasn't small change back then...
Like the ampulla, it's the first i ever heard for IDing the shrine! I like the design of these.
Good day for this time! And you kept the silver streak going!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are getting desperate & trying areas we would normally not bother with because we suspect no older finds (plus no intel). We started in the morning by doing 4 Bird Covers that were on the low lying previously drained marshland. After 3 hours we only had 2 buttons, a buckle, bits & a medallion.
After lunch we thought we would finish off the small area we got rained off last time, do a small area which produced nothing before the last plough & then the options would be complete.
However before we moved I had a hunch about a small bit of failed Wheat which was on slightly higher ground & was transitioning from marsh to clay. (ie in the past the last bit of the dry ground) Whilst I did this small area, Cru'dad scouted around the nearby wood. I found a Roman Coin & Cru'dad found another huge Bird Cover of at least 1 acre that we never knew existed.
We moved to this new area & started the grid not far from a bird scarer going off every 50 mins.
It looked a really good spot on the slightly higher ground & I was pretty sure we would get something good. It was however, surprisingly quiet, but I saw the odd piece of Medieval Pot so it kept my hopes up. I dug the Ampulla from very deep, my deepest best find with the Deus II so far. It was at least 12 inches & you can tell it's been below plough depth for sometime. Then, just as we did our last run thinking we had killed our Silver Streak, Cru'dad got the hammered.

5 Hours:
Sestertius of Nerva AD97
(Not good condition but it's our first of that Emperor, so its in to the album as a gap filler) Looked like this & is pretty rare, in the low thousands in good nick:
Pilgrims Lead Ampulla for holding Holy Water that came from the Shrine of Thomas Becket, Canterbury Cathedral. (I'm pretty sure this is the first Ampulla I've found that I could ID the Shrine)

View attachment 2030395 View attachment 2030396 View attachment 2030397 View attachment 2030400
Always look forward to seeing your finds..., and I admire your persistence - always pays off, right?

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

5 Hours:
Sestertius of Nerva AD97

View attachment 2030395 View attachment 2030396 View attachment 2030397 View attachment 2030400
Cru', nice ending to your account, "thinking we had killed our silver streak Cru'dad got the hammered"....the ampulla reminds me of the sea shells pilgrims wear on the walk/pilgrimage they do in France...

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....the ampulla reminds me of the sea shells pilgrims wear on the walk/pilgrimage they do in France...
It's what they wore or brought back to prove they had done the 'Way of St James' to Camino de Santiago in Spain where the Shrine to St James is situated. Therefore the scallop became a Christian symbol for St James & in general terms the paths to pilgrimage. These Ampulla where worn on the journey back from the shrines & held on to that symbol, like the shell did.
So those people in France where on routes back from Spain;

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always look forward to seeing your finds..., and I admire your persistence - always pays off, right?
At this time of year the targeted approach goes out the window in favour of 'any' available land to do. This way, that we call 'blind hunts' or random fields means that we gather info on land that is not on the list but often gives up the odd surprise. Some we will do again & some like that low lying marshland we cross off for ever. (because at least now we 'know') So in answer to the question - YES.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done one the Ampulla, will display nicely for sure.
Good to see the silver streak is still maintained also.

My first introduction to a bird scare-darn neared scarred up my shorts. :laughing7:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first introduction to a bird scare-darn neared scarred up my shorts. :laughing7:
We like to know the interval timing, often around 40 mins but this was 50, so just need to ready yourself & not be too close.
Land-mag walked past a hidden one in the tree line that went off very close & I'm sure he had the same reaction as you.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

5 Hours:
Sestertius of Nerva AD97

Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's what they wore or brought back to prove they had done the 'Way of St James' to Camino de Santiago in Spain where the Shrine to St James is situated. Therefore the scallop became a Christian symbol for St James & in general terms the paths to pilgrimage. These Ampulla where worn on the journey back from the shrines & held on to that symbol, like the shell did.
So those people in France where on routes back from Spain;
What a great find...a very personal one....I saw the pilgrims in France when I was over there years ago...wearing the ampullas

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We like to know the interval timing, often around 40 mins but this was 50, so just need to ready yourself & not be too close.
Land-mag walked past a hidden one in the tree line that went off very close & I'm sure he had the same reaction as you.
I'd never seen them before, there was 2 in this big field that we were detecting on.
Probably 3 hrs not a sound, and then it went off, and every 20 minutes then the other in 20.
I was only 50 ft in front when the first went off.
Kind of messes with the detecting mojo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread