1000 Acre Permission - More Games Strips/Bird Cover - ROMAN SILVER 86BC + Hammered...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carried on gridding the huge Game Cover next to the bird scarer.
Within half an hour Cru'dad got a hammered, so got that monkey off our backs. I thought we might get another couple at that rate but then joked about getting a Roman Silver instead. Mostly because this farm just throws up anomalies, so only half believe what I throw out there. Well, not only did Cru'dad get a silver love token he got the Roman Silver as well. (no other sign of Roman activity other than 2 possible lead weights)
5 hours:
1st Royal Dragoon's Button, circa 1815. (need this one, so pleased I got something good)
Cauldron Foot
Will III Sixpence (Love Token)
Henry III cut Half Penny

Roman Silver Denarius Anonymous (no Obv or Rev legend) 86BC - :headbang:See better example:
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ro...piter_in_quadriga_near_ef/822249/Default.aspx
No idea why a coin that old turned up where it did. Looks like about 100 years of wear, tough to tell, but must have been lost in the 1st C AD. (Iron Age into the Roman)

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Upvote 21

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Within half an hour Cru'dad got a hammered, so got that monkey off our backs. I thought we might get another couple at that rate but then joked about getting a Roman Silver instead. Mostly because this farm just throws up anomalies, so only half believe what I throw out there. Well, not only did Cru'dad get a silver love token he got the Roman Silver as well. (no other sign of Roman activity other than 2 possible lead weights)
5 hours:
1st Royal Dragoon's Button, circa 1815. (need this one, so pleased I got something good)
Cauldron Foot
Henry III cut Half Penny

Roman Silver Denarius Anonymous (no Obv or Rev legend) 86BC - :headbang:See better example:
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/ro...piter_in_quadriga_near_ef/822249/Default.aspx
No idea why a coin that old turned up where it did. Looks like about 100 years of wear, tough to tell, but must have been lost in the 1st C AD. (Iron Age into the Roman)

View attachment 2030752 View attachment 2030753 View attachment 2030754 View attachment 2030755 View attachment 2030756 View attachment 2030757
That silver denarius looks pretty dense...the example you gave shows great detail.... I've read that towards the decline of the Roman empire the detail on coins was not as fine...I would call your day a great day of recoveries...and a Royal dragoon button to boot...do those clean up? Or will you just leave as is?

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 hours:
Cauldron Foot
Henry III cut Half Penny

View attachment 2030752 View attachment 2030753 View attachment 2030754 View attachment 2030755 View attachment 2030756 View attachment 2030757
If only I could find an 86BC roman silver in coinstar...

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!,000 acres is a huge permission. Hope you're eating a good breakfast before heading out each time. We live on 4 acres that's enough back-and-forth walking for me. Tons of finds no doubt! :coffee2:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!,000 acres is a huge permission. Hope you're eating a good breakfast before heading out each time. We live on 4 acres that's enough back-and-forth walking for me. Tons of finds no doubt! :coffee2:
We only have a very small area available at this time of year which is why we are trying it. The 1000 acres is irrelevant when you have over 35,000 to search.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru
Is the area plowed and on large fields do you ever see darker areas with charcoal? I always hit the high spots or in my area out of the westerly wind when scouting a field. What do you look for when you see a site.Just curios.
Nice finds you and your Dad make.
HH

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru
Is the area plowed and on large fields do you ever see darker areas with charcoal? I always hit the high spots or in my area out of the westerly wind when scouting a field. What do you look for when you see a site.Just curios.
Nice finds you and your Dad make.
HH
We (I) look for lots of things. Some would call it landscapes archeology/topography. To me it's look & feel as well as that, I've learnt from many years of experience. Plus it is dark soil (charcoal from many fires), nails, pot shards, LEAD (very important), then it's all the other artifacts/coins you would expect.
It is like hunting an animal, you need all the sign to find it, no sign, no animal.
Although there is the old saying;
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 hours:
Cauldron Foot
Henry III cut Half Penny

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We (I) look for lots of things. Some would call it landscapes archeology/topography. To me it's look & feel as well as that, I learn from many years of experience. Plus it is dark soil (charcoal from many fires), nails, pot shards, LEAD (very important), then it's all the other artifacts/coins you would expect.
It it like hunting an animal, you need all the sign to find it, no sign, no animal.
Although there is the old saying;
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
That brings to mind elections past. :). Not trying to stir the pot or anything. :)

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Cru'Dad! I agree with red_desert...1000 acres is pretty daunting. Make sure to have an extra large bowl of Wheaties and maybe a Red Bull or two. Congrats!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I can find many sites using google topography for Indian artifacts and am successful about 90% of the time. When I look at fields its the high spots and edges first and then the tell tell items you mentioned. Great reply.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and a Royal dragoon button to boot...do those clean up? Or will you just leave as is?
Sorry missed your question first time.
That is as clean as it goes, it was probably plated at one time, it's lost a fair amount of surface detail.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I can find many sites using google topography for Indian artifacts and am successful about 90% of the time. When I look at fields its the high spots and edges first and then the tell tell items you mentioned. Great reply.
We mostly target cropmarks, but this time of year try anywhere. We have had some pretty good results from gradual slopes, not really sure why sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread