Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It’s all I use when beach hunting, I run sensitivity at 20 or above . Aside from more coverage you get more depth. I never use the pin pointer on my equinox anymore, I use the nose of the coil to locate my target.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s all I use when beach hunting, I run sensitivity at 20 or above . Aside from more coverage you get more depth. I never use the pin pointer on my equinox anymore, I use the nose of the coil to locate my target.
That is a great answer. Thankyou. I'll be ordering one next week. I'll choose the coiltek one because the ears are less apt to break than the Minelab one. I read about this on the web and according to Michael Scott from Dunder,Mifflin Paper Co. anything you read on the web is true

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
That is a great answer. Thankyou. I'll be ordering one next week. I'll choose the coiltek one because the ears are less apt to break than the Minelab one. I read about this on the web and according to Michael Scott from Dunder,Mifflin Paper Co. anything you read on the web is true
Check the weight difference between the minelab and the coiltek, I use stiffeners on all of my coils and have never had an issue

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you get them? Easy to apply?
Thanks

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Been using Nox 15" for 3 yrs and CTX 3030 17" coil for 6-7 yrs in water.
Agree w Noladirtdigger on everything he said except about Pinpointer - Sometimes need a pinpointer to find those really small targets like studs and other very small targets that seem to disappear in wet sand. But it is easy to break the ears on larger coils (I broke 1 on each 15" and 17" coils). Larger coils are better for finding more targets primarily from better ground coverage rather then deeper; although I can find dimes all day long at 12-15" on hunted beaches because 11" coils don't go that deep. I keep detailed records and have found the larger coils to increase number of good targets by about 10-11%. Also, in the surf a larger coil makes you swing your coil at a nice slow speed (and will build-up those arms).
Bought coil ear protectors for 15" Nox and 17" CTX from Detecting Adventure - but be careful you can break these as well if you tighten the screw too much (like I did on 15" coil).

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth the price for this coil for saltwater beach hunting only. Do you need to reduce sensitivity for stable operation? What are the advantages over the stock coil other than coverage?
Thanks
My favorite coil for the Equinox is the factory 12 X 15. I also have the Coiltek 15" coil. I find the Coiltek goes maybe another inch deeper, but, doesn't pin point quite as well. At the beach, that's pretty much a non-issue. I get a bit more EMI interference with the big coils over the smaller ones, but, usually not enough more to be a problem. The Coiltek 15" is heavier than the 12 X 15. If I plan to use it on an all day hunt, I use my sling. The ears on the Coiltek are thicker than the Minelab and I haven't heard of anyone breaking them yet.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that Equinox new Rev should have the ear problem corrected

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After doing a lot of reading and watching Utube vids I've decided to purchase the Coiltek 15" and the Minelab Pro Swing 45. My right shoulder is junk so I'm hoping this harness will allow me pain free hours long detecting at the beach. With the stock 11" coil I can only last 2 hours and with Whites DF about an hour so hopefully this will be a game changer. Thanks again for all suggestions

vinnywop

Oct 9, 2020
Stafford, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth the price for this coil for saltwater beach hunting only. Do you need to reduce sensitivity for stable operation? What are the advantages over the stock coil other than coverage?
Thanks
I use the Minelab 15" when I beach hunt and to me it's worth the $$$. Covers more ground and depth. People can argue what's better, the minelab 15" or Coiltek but a 15" is definitely a benefit on the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread