150+ year old tea cup & saucer

TNtoTX

Jan 24, 2023
I can't find this pattern anywhere and it has been driving me mad. One of the cups has a notable fracture. I was hoping to find some information. If its worth nothing then it can be up cycled however I done want to be responsible for ruining a 200 year old cup if it still has.
tempImageVCMEz5.jpg
value.

Attachments

• tempImagesYJ2Ij.png
    tempImagesYJ2Ij.png
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • tempImagelVKoJi.png
    tempImagelVKoJi.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • tempImagewk0kZz.png
    tempImagewk0kZz.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • tempImage6JO2Aq.png
    tempImage6JO2Aq.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • tempImageYqzZOp.png
    tempImageYqzZOp.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 15

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet!

Very nice find. However it's not as old as you believe.

The Minton mark as shown on your piece dates it to between 1891 (when the word England was added) and 1912.

This time-period also fits the shape and construction method in your example.

Google 'Minton porcelain marks' and you'll find how different periods were marked. For novice collectors, it easier to date porcelain through the mark than through style. Learning the differences in types of clay used, firing methods, decoration, glaze, etc, takes lots of studying.

OP
OP
TNtoTX

TNtoTX

Jan 24, 2023
Welcome to Tnet!

Very nice find. However it's not as old as you believe.

The Minton mark as shown on your piece dates it to between 1891 (when the word England was added) and 1912.

This time-period also fits the shape and construction method in your example.

Google 'Minton porcelain marks' and you'll find how different periods were marked. For novice collectors, it easier to date porcelain through the mark than through style. Learning the differences in types of clay used, firing methods, decoration, glaze, etc, takes lots of studying.
Thank you, I appreciate all of your wisdom. I have had these tea cups for many years along with an astronomical amount of others just sitting in house and want to do something with them. I did realize my mathematical error only too late after posting. 150+ years, I had actually found the dates markings online earlier just not the pattern. If the one that is cracked has little to no value I would absolutely feel better up-cycling it. It seems all the small specialty shops that use to do appraisals have went out of business.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're welcome!

Although I can't tell you the pattern, I can tell you it isn't a style decoration that's popular. The more elaborate patters sell much easier and for more money than these simple patterns.

Sets and services like these used to sell much better than they do today. The generation of collectors who used to pay well for these have pretty much died out over the past couple decades. Collectors today are looking for the types of things they grew up with, and few of them care about 19th century porcelain. 30 years ago you may have been able to get $30 for a cup and saucer. Today you'll likely get in the $10 range but that's full retail so unless you have an established antique shop you'll likely have a difficult time getting more than a couple dollars.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REALLY pretty, though.

I would put into the cracked one some kind of battery-powered tea light, at the very least. I'd also use them for tea and coffee.

OP
OP
TNtoTX

TNtoTX

Jan 24, 2023
REALLY pretty, though.

I would put into the cracked one some kind of battery-powered tea light, at the very least. I'd also use them for tea and coffee.
I have a few ideas for that little gem, definitely not letting it go unappreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread