16 to 1

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For those interested, there are several youtube videos of the 16 to 1 mine if you do a search and the current owners have their own website that you can find with a google search for Original 16 to 1.

On a personal note, I have a family history of this mine and others in the area. An uncle worked for the 16 to 1 for many years until his passing in the late 1950's or early 1960's and a cousin also worked summers there or at other area mines for a few years during the early 1960's. My father and a couple of his brothers worked a few of the mines in and around Nevada City/Grass Valley before WWII broke out.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My buddy Steve Wandt, made rings for my wife and I from gold I found in Arizona, and a specimen from the 16 to 1 mine. I would like to go there one day.:skullflag:

Attachments

• ring13.jpg
    ring13.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 116

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My buddy Steve Wandt, made rings for my wife and I from gold I found in Arizona, and a specimen from the 16 to 1 mine. I would like to go there one day.:skullflag:

Your wife's ring is similar to the one my mother wore daily all of my life until her passing. Over the years, the gold wore down to sub quartz level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know mike and the crew at the 16 to 1 and i worked the El Dorado Mine, Alleghany, California

Miner49er_2015

May 24, 2015
Gold Country, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_3165.JPG IMG_3167.JPG IMG_0151.JPG
The challenge lately, has been all the snow in Alleghany. It has been so deep that the road to the portal has been snowed in. It took more than a day just to get to the lower road to access the portal. Not much going on. The main project has been to rehab the 49 winze to the 2400 foot level.

Last edited:

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1569125 View attachment 1569128 View attachment 1569131
The challenge lately, has been all the snow in Alleghany. It has been so deep that the road to the portal has been snowed in. It took more than a day just to get to the lower road to access the portal. Not much going on. The main project has been to rehab the 49 winze to the 2400 foot level.

Is this your baby or do you work in it?

The icicle shot is a great photo. It took me four tries to remember how in the heck to spell icicle. How in the world is that pronounced "Ice Sickle" and not "Ick Ickle"?

Miner49er_2015

May 24, 2015
Gold Country, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
SaltwaterServr, I work there. I lead a crew underground. Currently rehabbing an old winze to the lower levels.

IMG_3086.JPG

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
I did the tour it was fantastic! at the time I did it you could take a detector with you. This was a few years ago. One of the cool things was large 82nd Airborne flag hanging on the wall of the winch operators room. If you can go there do it. From flying through the air to deep in the earth I have had my hi's and low's in my life.

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's f***ing awesome miner 49er. If you guys are still doing tours I also wanted to make it out there as an adult. My step father used to run the skip there for a bit. Great experience going down there. Gotta ask if you guys still have the Misery Wagoneer or if that was jusy a tall tale?

Miner49er_2015

May 24, 2015
Gold Country, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My step father used to run the skip there for a bit.
Well, that is awesome! Probably the winze we are rehabbing now. The only winze we have with a
substantial hoist is the 49 winze and the 83 winze. That must have been sometime ago,
as both hoists are not in use now and are in a sad state of disrepair. Here is a pic of the 49 Hoist.

IMG_2811.JPG IMG_2812.JPG

OP
OP
A

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miner49er_2015 i wonder if we know each other.

I know some of the miners there.

Lone Miner El Dorado - Plumbago Mine

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was the 49 but I'm not sure. I may just be relating 49er to that but I'm mostly sure. Yeah, I heard the story a million times when we watched Misery that the mine had that wagoner. I believe portions of Misery were filmed up there. I'm assuming if there's an old wagoneer floating around still than the tale must be true.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The challenge lately, has been all the snow in Alleghany. It has been so deep that the road to the portal has been snowed in. It took more than a day just to get to the lower road to access the portal. Not much going on. The main project has been to rehab the 49 winze to the 2400 foot level.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. Took these as I was working with the Campbird mine a few years back. Back when I was a miner I was working above 11'000 ft in the Colorado Rockies. When the temp fell below 50 degrees on a swing shift which got off at 11:00 pm, the shifter just said it's to dangerous to step outside so, ya just as well pull a double. That was in the 70's and there was always a little supply of some uppers, bennies or what ever you wanna call em in those days to keep ya going another 10 hours. Today these new generation of miners carry these little 5 dollar bottles of energy drink to swig down. Still at the shifts end a few cans of beer or a shot Hiram Walker was the next steep to put ya to sleep so you could get up and do it all again come 3:pm that day.

Attachments

• campbird 2.jpg
    campbird 2.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 91
  • campbird 3.jpg
    campbird 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
  • campbird 5.jpg
    campbird 5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I know the feeling. Took these as I was working with the Campbird mine a few years back. Back when I was a miner I was working above 11'000 ft in the Colorado Rockies. When the temp fell below 50 degrees on a swing shift which got off at 11:00 pm, the shifter just said it's to dangerous to step outside so, ya just as well pull a double. That was in the 70's and there was always a little supply of some uppers, bennies or what ever you wanna call em in those days to keep ya going another 10 hours. Today these new generation of miners carry these little 5 dollar bottles of energy drink to swig down. Still at the shifts end a few cans of beer or a shot Hiram Walker was the next steep to put ya to sleep so you could get up and do it all again come 3:pm that day.[/QUOTE]

Didn't realize Camp Bird was operating that long or had it been re-opened when you worked there? I remember it as a jeep road(?) from Ouray back in the late 40's early 50's. The family friend we were visiting was a super at the Idarado on Red Mountain at the time and the Million Dollar Highway was unpaved. Beautiful country.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread