1600's Latten

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1600's Latten Spoon Bowl w/ Algonquian Engraving & Cut Brass Fishing Spear

I recovered this 1600's English spoon bowl with an Algonquian engraving and a brass cut fishing spear along with other finds from a wigwam site in Southern New England over the past month. I posted all of it on Today's Finds, but received no replies for these particular finds.

PA220118.JPG PA120395.JPG

Is anyone familiar with the design carved into the spoon bowl? I've read that it's a Native American hope symbol, composed of an eight-pointed star (like compass points) enclosed in a circle. Has anyone seen such a design on a Native American artifact of similar age? Is it a variation of a medicine wheel?

The cut brass fishing spear came from the same site and came out of one four-foot square area that produced two brass arrow points, bits of irons, lead shot, small cooper tacks, and a larger nail fashioned into a pipe tamper. It was definitely produced by an Algonquin. While I've recovered brass points and a fish hook over the years , I've never seen or even heard of a cut brass fishing spear. Has anyone seen something similar? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well. Congrats. I need to research like you do. I have such a hard time with it

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You did well. Congrats. I need to research like you do. I have such a hard time with it

Looks like a silver plated copper Spanish made spoon...I don’t think intersecting lines are hope symbols. Hope symbols look like this, ...I don’t know much about historic period designs,. 7A3A2CB8-8C21-4240-9308-0E04BCDD70C5.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread