🥇 BANNER !!! 1652 Pine Tree Shilling !!!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost had a heart attack today when I dug an odd square shaped piece of metal. Looked closer and saw 1652:hello2: and about collapsed. It looks clipped but its near full weight at 4.4 grams. Were these clipped like this at the mint sometimes? I havent done a thing to it other than rinse it off with fresh water. Scared to do anything to it really as it looks to have great details underneath. EDIT: I did q-tip some of the flakyness off on the obverse but Im not going any farther for now

Attachments

• 4A3F49E8-E132-41EE-BA1C-4EBC3E213704.jpeg
    4A3F49E8-E132-41EE-BA1C-4EBC3E213704.jpeg
    811.9 KB · Views: 5,181
  • 975ECF45-99F2-4EFC-B6C9-F75E7D7B7E66.jpeg
    975ECF45-99F2-4EFC-B6C9-F75E7D7B7E66.jpeg
    557.8 KB · Views: 4,622
  • FBAB4C33-19E7-4C1E-98D6-8E94AF1C2196.jpeg
    FBAB4C33-19E7-4C1E-98D6-8E94AF1C2196.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,286
Last edited:
Upvote 155
OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. Im extremely lucky to get this especially outside of New England. I have since found one other post from another forum about a whole tree shilling found in Virginia. It was a small planchet variety as are most dug examples so even more lucky to get the earlier large planchet. The latesummer/fall season has been very successful. Gonna have to lower my expectations for the new year

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find
People used to clip silver and gold coins to get a small amount of silver or gold. They would then spend the coin like normal. After a while they would have a small pile of silver and gold leftover for free. Thats why milled coins were invented.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
WOW! That is a beauty! Looks like the same Noe as mine- but you have a lot more of yours than I do! Also, doesn't have the fish-shaped lines on the obverse, which makes me think that it's probably an earlier strike. Congratulations on an AMAZING coin find! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! That is a beauty! Looks like the same Noe as mine- but you have a lot more of yours than I do! Also, doesn't have the fish-shaped lines on the obverse, which makes me think that it's probably an earlier strike. Congratulations on an AMAZING coin find! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks. Congrats on yours. Yours is indeed the same variety as mine(noe 1). I was very lucky to get a full weight example as the majority of my cobs have been heavily clipped much like your tree coin. Pretty common practice back then. I even found a 1/8 cut pine tree about 18 months ago

Last edited:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice recovery you got there ��
Good job identifying the type AND die state.
On viewing it from the side, you should observe
a distinct sinusoidal curving of the flan.
This is a result of using a rocker type press,and curved dies.
A similar press is shown below.
They literally stretched the flan,(or strip of silver, whether
they were cut before or after striking is still debated.)
From 12oclock to 6.
This is only extant on Oak tree issues and the large planchet Pines,
The New England issues and Willow trees were hammer struck,
Small planchet Pines were struck in a screw press.
I like that cut pine tree too.
Keep em coming.

IMG_20200225_132849036.jpg

Last edited:

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on that beautiful bit of history.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go Toasty! I haven’t been online much and didn’t see your big news! Congratulations

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Toasty! I haven’t been online much and didn’t see your big news! Congratulations

Thanks. Yeah alot of the guys from a few years ago that primarily hunted colonial dont come on here or get out much possibly for whatever reason. Im sure you’d appreciate the 2 and 4 Reales cobs Ive recently pulled as well. I miss seeing all the awesome stuff you guys find too

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one super find! Big Congrats!

tabman

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. Yeah alot of the guys from a few years ago that primarily hunted colonial dont come on here or get out much possibly for whatever reason. Im sure you’d appreciate the 2 and 4 Reales cobs Ive recently pulled as well. I miss seeing all the awesome stuff you guys find too

Ive missed it but that’s alright. I’m back in it again after a work/family hunting hiatus. I’ll look up your cob finds. Only cobs I’ve ever found have been 1/2’s and 1’s. No mas

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, no clue how I missed this.... oh yeah, my password got banned.
Congrats my friend, awesome

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off congrats, super find. There was at an auction in Maine 2 weeks ago with one of these. That was graded VF-20 and honestly yours looks better than that one. Actually yours looks quite a bit better than most. I would get it professionally cleaned, graded and put in a case. But that’s just me. It gotta be worth thousands. Check out eBay for how horrible some of the conditions are for being graded so well. Just an example...
6910A2AC-B283-421A-A9DC-916D9073C7D9.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1652-Massa...rsOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2332490.c101096.m3021

Amazing find
People used to clip silver and gold coins to get a small amount of silver or gold. They would then spend the coin like normal. After a while they would have a small pile of silver and gold leftover for free. Thats why milled coins were invented.

Yes, I was surprised I didn’t see more people chiming in as to why old coins are sometimes missing pieces. As you stated people used to shave the edges of coins. And keep a “scrap” pile going to melt down later for extra profit. That’s why they started putting the ridged edges on them. To make that practice impossible, and to curb counterfeiting. But also when you see an old coin that looks like it was cut in half or a piece was cut off. It’s because that’s how people made change back in the day. If they needed half the value of a coin for a transaction. And didn’t have any smaller denomination coins. They would cut the coin in half. Problem solved. Isn’t this where the “pieces of 8” came from?

Congrats again!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such an Awesome Find!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread