Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a new permission yesterday. The owner said it was built in 1820. He also said it had been gone over with metal detectors before. He doesn't live there, but there were a couple guys doing some electrical work yesterday. The grass hadn't been mowed in a while and was pretty high in some places.
After 2.5 hours of digging, all I had was a pocket full of shell casings, fired bullets, four modern coins, some other miscellaneous junk, and a mouthful of frustration. The oldest thing I had at this point was a toe tap from an old boot. I was ready to call it a day and was working my way out when I got a nice signal on the Deus. It wasn't deep and I was expecting another clad quarter.
I wasn't expecting this!! A 1675 Two Reale Cob from the reign of Charles II, minted in Potasi Bolivia!!
Cob in Dirt.jpg

Dirty in Hand 2.jpg

Dirty in Hand 1.jpg

Cob Front.JPG

Cob Back.JPG

Upvote 112

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried a new permission yesterday. The owner said it was built in 1820. He also said it had been gone over with metal detectors before. He doesn't live there, but there were a couple guys doing some electrical work yesterday. The grass hadn't been mowed in a while and was pretty high in some places.
After 2.5 hours of digging, all I had was a pocket full of shell casings, fired bullets, four modern coins, some other miscellaneous junk, and a mouthful of frustration. The oldest thing I had at this point was a toe tap from an old boot. I was ready to call it a day and was working my way out when I got a nice signal on the Deus. It wasn't deep and I was expecting another clad quarter.
I wasn't expecting this!! A 1675 Two Reale Cob from the reign of Charles II, minted in Potasi Bolivia!!
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
Wow awesome coin!!! 🤩

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
Beyond awesome with this crazy piece of history you snagged yesterday. Oldest coin I have seen from the ground in Allegheny County PA. What is your theory on the coin? By 1820 they would have been long past using cobs? Maybe a drop from a Indian trading post? Congrats!!!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
That is an amazingly beautiful find. So if you can find that in PA I certainly should be able to find a good cob one day here on the Treasure Coast. I dare to dream.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a sweet find.

It just goes to show that you need to keep going even if things don’t look so good. Also wonderful things do show up in the most unlikely spots sometimes so detect anywhere you can. You may be surprised at what you find.

Great job, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
That’s Crazy!! Congratulations! I hope you get back out there soon

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on a sweet find.

It just goes to show that you need to keep going even if things don’t look so good. Also wonderful things do show up in the most unlikely spots sometimes so detect anywhere you can. You may be surprised at what you find.

Great job, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
I have been detecting since 1985 and I am still getting surprised by what turns up where. In the last month or so I found a Confederate artillery button at an old house site near Ligonier, PA and now this cob at an 1820 house site.
Beyond awesome with this crazy piece of history you snagged yesterday. Oldest coin I have seen from the ground in Allegheny County PA. What is your theory on the coin? By 1820 they would have been long past using cobs? Maybe a drop from a Indian trading post? Congrats!!!
Well, here are my two most plausible theories:
1. While the house might date to 1820, the site may be earlier. Other that the cob, I have no evidence of this.
2. Even as late as 1820, people were using whatever money they could get their hands on. Considering that many land owners in this area came from Virginia, and cobs were plentiful in Virginia. this one may have lingered around longer than most.
However it got there, I'm glad it did, and wasn't found by one of the previous diggers.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread