Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a new permission yesterday. The owner said it was built in 1820. He also said it had been gone over with metal detectors before. He doesn't live there, but there were a couple guys doing some electrical work yesterday. The grass hadn't been mowed in a while and was pretty high in some places.
After 2.5 hours of digging, all I had was a pocket full of shell casings, fired bullets, four modern coins, some other miscellaneous junk, and a mouthful of frustration. The oldest thing I had at this point was a toe tap from an old boot. I was ready to call it a day and was working my way out when I got a nice signal on the Deus. It wasn't deep and I was expecting another clad quarter.
I wasn't expecting this!! A 1675 Two Reale Cob from the reign of Charles II, minted in Potasi Bolivia!!
Cob in Dirt.jpg

Dirty in Hand 2.jpg

Dirty in Hand 1.jpg

Cob Front.JPG

Cob Back.JPG

Upvote 112

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious, how did you get the info about the mint, the date and the size (2 reales)? I've never found a cob and likely won't but it intrigues me how someone like you can look at one and get all that information.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, how did you get the info about the mint, the date and the size (2 reales)? I've never found a cob and likely won't but it intrigues me how someone like you can look at one and get all that information.
I've seen enough of them and dug a couple,, so I know a little. But I posted it on a colonial relic and coin Facebook group and waited for the experts the experts to chime in for the rest of the info.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Ive never found a cob at a site that wasnt at least mid 18th century but Ive found a lot of worn milled Spanish at later sites so no reason cobs couldnt be there:dontknow:
There is also a chance there was an earlier house there before the current 1820 house. I need to dig some more to get a better date range on the place.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a new permission yesterday. The owner said it was built in 1820. He also said it had been gone over with metal detectors before. He doesn't live there, but there were a couple guys doing some electrical work yesterday. The grass hadn't been mowed in a while and was pretty high in some places.
After 2.5 hours of digging, all I had was a pocket full of shell casings, fired bullets, four modern coins, some other miscellaneous junk, and a mouthful of frustration. The oldest thing I had at this point was a toe tap from an old boot. I was ready to call it a day and was working my way out when I got a nice signal on the Deus. It wasn't deep and I was expecting another clad quarter.
I wasn't expecting this!! A 1675 Two Reale Cob from the reign of Charles II, minted in Potasi Bolivia!!
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a wonderful find. From the looks of it, it was lost when pretty new due to the detail on it!
I was happy to see the coin had decent details, but I can't imagine that it was still pretty new when lost. The current standing house was built in 1820, and it is possible that the site is older, but no older than the 1760s based on the history of the general area.

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaks volumes to the fact that you simply never know what's going to come out of the ground- no rhyme or reason, thus making every signal a potential lifetime find like you just experienced- Big time Congrats!

mddavis3

May 13, 2019
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
Awesome coin!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaks volumes to the fact that you simply never know what's going to come out of the ground- no rhyme or reason, thus making every signal a potential lifetime find like you just experienced- Big time Congrats!
I was back there again today for about an hour. Got an 1884 V nickel, a thimble, and a harmonica reed. Still haven't even found a tombac or flat button there!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
could you have found a Potosi heart cob?

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could you have found a Potosi heart cob?

I didn't realize there was such a thing, but after reading the article, I think it might be possible. It has the heart shape, but is missing the top stem. But... the coin has been clipped and only weighs 4.72 instead of 6.82, so maybe the top stem was removed?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very big congrats for a fabulous cobb coin !! What a beauty !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread