Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a new permission yesterday. The owner said it was built in 1820. He also said it had been gone over with metal detectors before. He doesn't live there, but there were a couple guys doing some electrical work yesterday. The grass hadn't been mowed in a while and was pretty high in some places.
After 2.5 hours of digging, all I had was a pocket full of shell casings, fired bullets, four modern coins, some other miscellaneous junk, and a mouthful of frustration. The oldest thing I had at this point was a toe tap from an old boot. I was ready to call it a day and was working my way out when I got a nice signal on the Deus. It wasn't deep and I was expecting another clad quarter.
I wasn't expecting this!! A 1675 Two Reale Cob from the reign of Charles II, minted in Potasi Bolivia!!
Cob in Dirt.jpg

Dirty in Hand 2.jpg

Dirty in Hand 1.jpg

Cob Front.JPG

Cob Back.JPG

Upvote 112

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is a beauty! I bet you ran in and showed the electricians right away the treasure buried in the yard! haha
Just kidding. I too wonder what its journey was to that place. Funny how when we are ready to call it quits the metal detecting gods sometimes give us a break.
You are a good hunter so I am not surprised that if was there you would find it.
HH

EDavis

Aug 30, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a new permission yesterday. The owner said it was built in 1820. He also said it had been gone over with metal detectors before. He doesn't live there, but there were a couple guys doing some electrical work yesterday. The grass hadn't been mowed in a while and was pretty high in some places.
After 2.5 hours of digging, all I had was a pocket full of shell casings, fired bullets, four modern coins, some other miscellaneous junk, and a mouthful of frustration. The oldest thing I had at this point was a toe tap from an old boot. I was ready to call it a day and was working my way out when I got a nice signal on the Deus. It wasn't deep and I was expecting another clad quarter.
I wasn't expecting this!! A 1675 Two Reale Cob from the reign of Charles II, minted in Potasi Bolivia!!
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
Well worth the day! Awesome!
1661480502043.png

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
oh yeah!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding
Congratulations on your beautiful recovery

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
Killer find!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
Great story with a redeemed ending...
One wonders how that coin ended up there...
Thanks for sharing :)
Congratulations 👍

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazingly beautiful find. So if you can find that in PA I certainly should be able to find a good cob one day here on the Treasure Coast. I dare to dream.
Thanks, and good luck on the Treasure Coast. I am sure there is a lot of competition down there. This is actually the third 2 reale cob I have found, but by far the oldest. They definitively are not common here is SW PA.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cob is the coolest!!!
Great going Steve...if anyone was going to catch a great looking Spanish it would be you!
Nice one!!
Thanks Ironhorse. This is my 75th Spanish silver. It's been 32 years since my first.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just absolutely incredible! Don't know what else to say but that. Congrats on a once in a lifetime find!!
Thanks CJon. I can't say it's a once in a lifetime find. More like third in a lifetime :laughing7:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that is ridiculous! What an awesome collection of early American currency usage, clearly demonstrating the reliance on reliable, stable, predictable Spanish colonial coinage.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is ridiculous! What an awesome collection of early American currency usage, clearly demonstrating the reliance on reliable, stable, predictable Spanish colonial coinage.
All found in Southwest PA except two from Culpeper, VA

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
Nice save congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread