Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried a new permission yesterday. The owner said it was built in 1820. He also said it had been gone over with metal detectors before. He doesn't live there, but there were a couple guys doing some electrical work yesterday. The grass hadn't been mowed in a while and was pretty high in some places.
After 2.5 hours of digging, all I had was a pocket full of shell casings, fired bullets, four modern coins, some other miscellaneous junk, and a mouthful of frustration. The oldest thing I had at this point was a toe tap from an old boot. I was ready to call it a day and was working my way out when I got a nice signal on the Deus. It wasn't deep and I was expecting another clad quarter.
I wasn't expecting this!! A 1675 Two Reale Cob from the reign of Charles II, minted in Potasi Bolivia!!
Cob in Dirt.jpg

Dirty in Hand 2.jpg

Dirty in Hand 1.jpg

Cob Front.JPG

Cob Back.JPG

Upvote 112
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is a beauty! I bet you ran in and showed the electricians right away the treasure buried in the yard! haha
Just kidding. I too wonder what its journey was to that place. Funny how when we are ready to call it quits the metal detecting gods sometimes give us a break.
You are a good hunter so I am not surprised that if was there you would find it.
HH
Thanks for the compliment :thumbsup:
The electricians didn't seem too interested in what I was doing, nevertheless, I managed to keep all my expletives under my breath :laughing7:

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
DANG!!!! Great job !!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised you haven't found one considering all the commerce between England and her colonies during the 17th and 18th centuries. Maybe they are lurking closer to the sea ports. :dontknow:
My Spanish silver collection is tiny, a few earlier than Cob's & a couple later, just can't get the middle ground.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really col Steve.
When you least expect them, that's when it happens.

hampton detector

Feb 15, 2023
Tried a new permission yesterday. The owner said it was built in 1820. He also said it had been gone over with metal detectors before. He doesn't live there, but there were a couple guys doing some electrical work yesterday. The grass hadn't been mowed in a while and was pretty high in some places.
After 2.5 hours of digging, all I had was a pocket full of shell casings, fired bullets, four modern coins, some other miscellaneous junk, and a mouthful of frustration. The oldest thing I had at this point was a toe tap from an old boot. I was ready to call it a day and was working my way out when I got a nice signal on the Deus. It wasn't deep and I was expecting another clad quarter.
I wasn't expecting this!! A 1675 Two Reale Cob from the reign of Charles II, minted in Potasi Bolivia!!
View attachment 2042921
View attachment 2042922
View attachment 2042923
View attachment 2042924
View attachment 2042925
Gotta love the cobbs!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
in any case, here is a very good read on what such a cob was trying to say.

hampton detector

Feb 15, 2023
in any case, here is a very good read on what such a cob was trying to say.

Thank you so much for info. It’s amazing that it’s 343 years old, and I found it😁 I will continue detecting til the day I die! Such a rush finding goodies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread