Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a new permission back on August 22. I forgot to post it on this forum.
The owner said the house was built in 1820. He also said it had been gone over with metal detectors before. He doesn't live there, but there were a couple guys doing some electrical work yesterday. The grass hadn't been mowed in a while and was pretty high in some places.
After 2.5 hours of digging, all I had was a pocket full of shell casings, fired bullets, four modern coins, some other miscellaneous junk, and a mouthful of frustration. The oldest thing I had at this point was a toe tap from an old boot. I was ready to call it a day and was working my way out when I got a nice signal on the Deus. It wasn't deep and I was expecting another clad quarter.
I wasn't expecting this!! A 1675 Two Reale Cob from the reign of Charles II, minted in Potasi Bolivia!!
I think it looks similar to one of those Potosi heart cobs, but Mr. Sedgwick says it's just coincidence :dontknow:

Attachments

• Cob in Dirt.jpg
    Cob in Dirt.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Dirty in Hand 1.jpg
    Dirty in Hand 1.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Dirty in Hand 2.jpg
    Dirty in Hand 2.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Cob Front.JPG
    Cob Front.JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Cob Back.JPG
    Cob Back.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin. The reverse makes me think of it as a poor man's heart cob.

I actually wrote the above before reading your post and similar thoughts. I would agree that it is not a heart reale mainly because the top of the coin does not have that distinct, intentional design. Also, your reale looks to have coin alignment vs medal alignment typical of heart cobs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread