May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD and me, the way it should be.

Six hours digging today, just at the freezing mark, but ground still soft.

Dave started right off pulling Coppers one after another, and was up to 6 or 7 before I got my first. I think we got 14 between us, and a hand full of buttons.

I had thought in the field that mine were all blank discs, and only on the way home did I notice that one had some circles, and said to Dave cool I never saw this before, that will give me something to do when I get home. At home Dave looks at it, and says "I knows what it is, saw one on a video recently, it's French, but I can't remember what it was called."
So in the house get my specks, and give them all a thumb rub cleaning, and thought hey this isn't so bad, for an "old" Copper, discovered another non-blank too. It is a French 6 Deniers only made 1710-1712, and a first for me, so was a really good day in the dirt.

Dave got a good button, I think will clean up nice, we'll see soon, as he makes his first post in a long time shortly.

My pics. of the lot, only missing one relic

IMG_1724.JPG

JOHN ALEX BARRY HALIFAX 1815 hp token (also a first)

IMG_1725.JPG

And the French 6 Deniers, the date area has rotted off, so could be 1710, 1711, 1712
(6 deniers=2 liard, I think)

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

In other news, I took one of my dug horse buckels, and repurposed it, had been planning to for awhile now, I polished it up, flattened, and bent up 3" nail for a tongue.

IMG_1720.JPG

Then went to the local harness maker.

IMG_1731.JPG

Now I have a new sturdy belt that should out live me. As the last "genuine leather' one from WM lasted about 2 months.

Good luck out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 21

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing you, IH, and Patriot have all found them, I guess I just didn't notice when they were posted, as I don't recall seeing one.

Here is the 1/2 one I was talking about but the other 2 were found before I became a member here...

Attachments

• deniers.jpg
    deniers.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 61

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the french coppers I've dug are about toast, still waiting on a nice on like that! Looks like a good hunt!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG RICK THATS SOME NICE COINAGE U GOT THERE ..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I cam across that tidbit of info. here.
Classical Numismatics Discussion Members' Gallery - FRANCE/FRANCE - LOUIS XIV - JOHN QUINCY ADAMS COLLECTION

FRANCE - LOUIS XIV - JOHN QUINCY ADAMS COLLECTION
6 Deniers - KM 400.1. 1710 - La Rochelle Mint. From Mendel Petersons estate, an interesting billon copper coin unevenly struck in 1710 (La Rochelle mint), from metal from melted naval guns. Coin is from lot 718 of the Sept. 1971 sale of the John Quincy Adams collection, auctioned by Stacks & probably obtained from Christian Blom (a dealer who attended the sale). Mendel Peterson was Curator of Underwater Archaeology for the Smithsonian Institution here in Washington, D.C. and had a large collection. "

Seeing the coin in an auction, and apparently not in my Krause cat. I started to think it might have some value, WRONG, made millions, although mine does have "H" mintmark not the most common, but still no value.

Seeing you, IH, and Patriot have all found them, I guess I just didn't notice when they were posted, as I don't recall seeing one.

It's in my Krause, but does list only 1710 and 1711 for the H mint mark, so you might be able to say it's one of those if you can't find any 1712-H online.

Here is my poor one from last year.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...what-you-say-i-didn-t-want-silver-anyway.html

And a couple I found with the Patriot.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/357927-dusted-off-detector-1740s-pocket-french.html

I figure I've found maybe 6 of them.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well done !!!looks like a well earned haul

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in my Krause, but does list only 1710 and 1711 for the H mint mark, so you might be able to say it's one of those if you can't find any 1712-H online.

Here is my poor one from last year.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...what-you-say-i-didn-t-want-silver-anyway.html

And a couple I found with the Patriot.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/357927-dusted-off-detector-1740s-pocket-french.html

I figure I've found maybe 6 of them.

We'll I guess I have seen them before as I had replied to both of those threads, two in one hunt was cool, and decent coins they were.

Just wondering if you see a bust on this coin, I think I do, but might be a mind trick. is just a better pic. of the top left coin in the group shot.

IMG_1728.JPG

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the old French copper. I really like what you did with the buckle. It now continues to serve, 100 years later! Sub 8-)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll I guess I have seen them before as I had replied to both of those threads, two in one hunt was cool, and decent coins they were.

Just wondering if you see a bust on this coin, I think I do, but might be a mind trick. is just a better pic. of the top left coin in the group shot.

View attachment 1241542

Looks like you might have a 'John Law' Sol. (or Half Sol) Haven't seen one of those dug in our parts.

Attachments

• jls.jpg
    jls.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 60

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Rick, congrats on the early French copper.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you might have a 'John Law' Sol. (or Half Sol) Haven't seen one of those dug in our parts.

Cool, and I'd have to say quite probable, it looks right to me, I also believe that the small coin 20mm is likely to be a double tournois, but totally toast.

I think I got another ID the green disk in the top right of the group shot is a 1690's Irish, I can see crown, some strings, and what looks like a 9 to the right at the base of the crown, and as the crown is smaller on later types I think I am right.

Close up. I may try to get some of the brown crust off where the 16 should be...

IMG_1732.JPG

Yes I know it's no prize, but fun to ID, and any 1600s coin is pretty good in my book.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, and I'd have to say quite probable, it looks right to me, I also believe that the small coin 20mm is likely to be a double tournois, but totally toast.

I think I got another ID the green disk in the top right of the group shot is a 1690's Irish, I can see crown, some strings, and what looks like a 9 to the right at the base of the crown, and as the crown is smaller on later types I think I am right.

Close up. I may try to get some of the brown crust off where the 16 should be...

View attachment 1241574

Yes I know it's no prize, but fun to ID, and any 1600s coin is pretty good in my book.

You are likely right, but is it a 9 or the 6?

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are likely right, but is it a 9 or the 6?

Def. the 9, and is in the right position to be so, I think now I may even go so far as to say I believe I see '94, but too week for any cleaning.

IMG_1733.JPG

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Def. the 9, and is in the right position to be so, I think now I may even go so far as to say I believe I see '94, but too week for any cleaning.

View attachment 1241589

If you can make a case for a 4 at all that is definitely what it is, because you can clearly see the bottom of the N on the left side.... So it's the years limited to William & Mary. And now looking at both I clearly see it... 1694 for sure. It's funny that when you don't know what you're looking for you can see nothing, but now it's as clear as the words I am typing.

Attachments

• william-mary-halfpenny-1694-s-6597-df-497aaaa.jpg
    william-mary-halfpenny-1694-s-6597-df-497aaaa.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's certainly a wide range of finds from those early coins to an 1812 Navy button. Pretty good site!

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's certainly a wide range of finds from those early coins to an 1812 Navy button. Pretty good site!

No, Dave's Navy button, and most of his coins came from the first site we were on.

What I got on this second site was 2 tombacs, and I think 4 of my coins, Dave got the old hoe, and at least 1 coin there. Wish he would have cleaned them a little. Much of that spot was under a foot of grass, can't wait for better conditions to get back there.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that must have been fun digging all those coppers. :icon_thumleft: Congrats on the early French one, Rick. Nice!

HH
p.s. Love the belt buckle too.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Slick Rick your a poet and didn't even know it..But after 6 hours of digging you really show it..8-)

Sweet copper of a day buddy 1710 decent condition is rare:headbang:

~Blaze~

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slick Rick your a poet and didn't even know it..But after 6 hours of digging you really show it..8-)

Sweet copper of a day buddy 1710 decent condition is rare:headbang:

~Blaze~

Hey Johnny B, long time no see... you post that is. Not getting out much lately, I had a pretty slow year, with only maybe 15 days or so of digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions