1715 treasure fleet emralds!?

Martinm1

Jun 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone I need your help. I live on the treasure coast in FL and checking out the beach today I found this interesting object. It's not a shell and honestly I have no idea what it could be but maybe emralds? Could this be from the 1715 spanish fleet that sank here ? Any ideas?!?! 20210621_153548.jpg 20210621_153534.jpg

Upvote 22

gtsatohms

Nov 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While close, you could try a hardness check. Here is the NPS Mohs scale chart. Emeralds are usually an 8. Jade / jadite is between 6 and 7. Also, emeralds have a different crystal structure.

Another alternative would be to see someone at a university.

Neat find! Hope this helps. IMG_7447.jpg

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many times on the treasure coast this conglomerate is picked up and mistaken for 1715 material....one site in particular yeilds this type of conglomerate. Over several debates about this material ( one of which was on this site) it has been determined that the likely source was a home/condo that had terrazzo floors. The terrazzo in the past came in many different colors, but the green terrazzo was present very close to a popular treasurecoast 1715 beach. This material has been seen and discussed before. I can't say for certainty that your material is this, but it looks the same. I belive the previous material was recovered in the ft. Pierce area....but I can't trust my memory to be certain about that....its definitely not emeralds....there is a thread somewhere on this site discussing this same material. Time and surf has eroded the softer material between the green chips in question....hopefully im wrong and your piece is connected to the 1715 fleet, but I fear you have some ordinary terrazzo flooring !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20210624-093518_Google.jpg
This is how the terrazzo looks when new. As the storms and hurricanes eroded the patio at this former house it all fell into the sea where it was tumbled in the surf and polished to the condition your piece looks like today. It is found and mistaken by others also over the years !!

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1933438
This is how the terrazzo looks when new. As the storms and hurricanes eroded the patio at this former house it all fell into the sea where it was tumbled in the surf and polished to the condition your piece looks like today. It is found and mistaken by others also over the years !!

Nothing like local knowledge! Kudos to you Sir!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
this is why we keep asking! eventually SOMEONE puts it all together

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you could get that authenticated, the value would skyrocket. As you know beachcombers on the Treasure coast have stumbled on some great finds. There is no other accumulation of treasure ships in the US like the 1715 treasure coast fleet. There is still untold millions of dollars of treasure within 1-2 miles off shore. You are lucky to live where you live.

Feb 27, 2018
volusia county
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Beach Hunter ID, Surf PI, 6000 SI Pro. tdi beach hunter, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey everyone I need your help. I live on the treasure coast in FL and checking out the beach today I found this interesting object. It's not a shell and honestly I have no idea what it could be but maybe emralds? Could this be from the 1715 spanish fleet that sank here ? Any ideas?!?! View attachment 1933030 View attachment 1933031
that's a good find

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find. There were a lot of things on those ships that nobody knew about!!
Emeralds werent one of them... It is and has been well known and documented.... many peoples lives have been changed by the finding of a big one... which happened again not too long ago to a lucky lady.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart i noticed your on board here with me... what say ye ? ... is the ops find emeralds ? ? ?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart i noticed your on board here with me... what say ye ? ... is the ops find emeralds ? ? ?
Nope....somewhere I gave my take on this....green terrazzo.....one of the treasurecoast beaches has produced it in abundance.....came from hurricane damaged condo !! I have seen others find it as well !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post #44, #45 I described what I thought....maybe I'm wrong, but this type of material has fooled others also !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions