🥇 BANNER 1719 King George Coppah !!!!!!!!!

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• KG1_1.jpg
    KG1_1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 458
  • KG1_2.jpg
    KG1_2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 388
  • KG1_3.jpg
    KG1_3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Upvote 62

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations..
On the Super Cool Banner Counterfeit Coin.
Def, a Banner find.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta chime in so I can meet my post quota. Just kidding - I had to comment on the awesomeness of that find! Those are my favorite finds, the ones that you can just ponder the history of for hours, and every time you hold it the rush comes back. This is the coolest thread in a while, IMO.
Jeff

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on earning a banner....awesome!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING FIND! It's always amazing to find what you think is an old copper only to be blown away when you find out it's a rare pc of history!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a crazy cool find in great condition. A question for IP....Is it odd to see a counterfeit in such nice condition? I mean hell it's pretty damn rare to see a legit coin of that age in decent condition. I'm voting BANNER on this find. Pretty scarce for sure and the condition is just incredible. That soil is very friendly and I hope you find more great finds in it. Love love love this find. Congrats buddy

I'll take a stab at this.
Yes it is tough to get decent condition of coppers of that age, all of 1700's up to and including GEO III's.
Aside from soil conditions, there are two main reasons;
1) many of the coppers were very poor quality counterfeits to start with, and
2) Most of the "legit" 1/2 P coppers sent to the colonies (here for sure) were already well worn, and pulled from circulation in England, and Ireland when they were sent.

At least according to a website quote, which I could find.

The 3 things together explains why about half of the coppers I personally find are complete blanks, and another sizable percentage are poor.

Congrats on the banner Mr. Dig

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats on an Awesome find and making the Banner for sure a really cool coin indeed :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find indeed! :occasion14:
I've never even seen one of those coins before!
Congratulations on making the BANNER too! :wav:
Dave

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all great banner find.:thumbsup:

Not knowing a great deal about counterfeit coppers, but why is it assumed these counterfeits are from the UK. I have the latest book on counterfeit Georgian copper coins and there is nothing about George 1st counterfeits. I'd have thought there would have been more written about them in this book if they had been struck here, or are they just that rare.:icon_scratch:

I'm looking at you IP.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all great banner find.:thumbsup:

Not knowing a great deal about counterfeit coppers, but why is it assumed these counterfeits are from the UK. I have the latest book on struck counterfeit Georgian copper coins and there is nothing about George 1st counterfeits. I'd have thought there would have been more written about them in this book if they had been struck here, or are they just that rare.

There's a lot of factors. First off they are that rare, at least among the people that know the most about these, which is a small group of American collectors. Are they that rare in general, only time will tell, but I personally think more will be discovered now that they're on the radar. If the author had known about it's existence I think he would have probably added it in as it is an interesting coin, but because it's sort of an anomaly it would not really be a surprise if he stuck to just George II and pre 1797 George III. I'm curious if he has anything listed for the cartwheel or 1806 or 1807 struck counterfeits, as they do exists, but are quite uncommon, and a crude example would be very uncommon.

Here's a couple of examples of some great struck counterfeit George IV Irish pennies. The seller had three, had them priced very high and all three are sold.

Attachments

• IP22001CVS.jpg
    IP22001CVS.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 114
  • IP22002CVS.jpg
    IP22002CVS.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 100

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old Colonial, looks like the plow wacked the bust. Nice rescue !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions