Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a new field to detect today and it didnt take long to find another early 19th century site that may dip into the 18th as well. Got a few wiped likely colonial coppers as well as a nice Woods Hibernia. Only second one ever I think. Also got a spoon piece that looks early to me if anyone knows. A busted silver thimble, braided hair LC and my first ever 1837 Hard Times token(Not One Cent)were the top early 19th century finds.
F94DA62E-7716-44EA-BFC4-A3FF43802C20.jpeg
D8E34671-66B1-44D0-BDFC-C743620E5331.jpeg

Upvote 36

MD Ghost F75

Mar 27, 2022
Harford County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a new field to detect today and it didnt take long to find another early 19th century site that may dip into the 18th as well. Got a few wiped likely colonial coppers as well as a nice Woods Hibernia. Only second one ever I think. Also got a spoon piece that looks early to me if anyone knows. A busted silver thimble, braided hair LC and my first ever 1837 Hard Times token(Not One Cent)were the top early 19th century finds. View attachment 2068331 View attachment 2068332
Oh wow, looks like that place will produce for awhile! Nice job on getting the permission.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice! I love finding those hibernias because there are often Rosa's in the same neighborhood. Pretty good shape for a 300 year old coin! I like that token and thimble as well! Nice hunt!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the spread of the age of your site. A true old multigenerational home site where possibly three or four generations lived
Nice assortment of coins in the mix...a couple of nice ones!
I didnt find a single tombac button, leather ornament or buckle piece so prevalent on typical colonial sites so still not convinced it was a colonial homestead though the woods hibernia would be an odd coin to have by the early 19th century

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds there. You're correct that the spoon is early.

The terminal of the handle is what's know as 'trefid' (sometimes spelled 'trifid'). Those were in vogue between about 1660-1700. The spoon may not be quite that early but by around 1700, the two outside lobes had begun to shift down towards the bowl, leaving the middle lobe prominent, as on the upper example in this picture:

Trefids.jpg

The clefts then disappeared during the 1700s, leaving rounded shoulders with a single rounded projection known as a 'dognose' terminal, like the one below. Those were in vogue until around 1715.

Dognose.jpg

Bear in mind that I'm giving typical dates for when these styles were fashionable in Europe, but the end-dates are a long way from being precise. Also, if the spoon were American-made, it could often be 10-15 years before domestic makers caught up with European fashions.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a new field to detect today and it didnt take long to find another early 19th century site that may dip into the 18th as well. Got a few wiped likely colonial coppers as well as a nice Woods Hibernia. Only second one ever I think. Also got a spoon piece that looks early to me if anyone knows. A busted silver thimble, braided hair LC and my first ever 1837 Hard Times token(Not One Cent)were the top early 19th century finds. View attachment 2068331 View attachment 2068332
Very Cool!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super nice old finds! Congrats!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to this site tonight. A few more slick coppers and a KG III. Got some Tombacs and buckle pieces this time so it’s definitely colonial. The size and thickness of this iron patch is probably like no other Ive detected from this era. Probably more goodies in there but it will be hard to hear them

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions