1731 King George II Halfpenny

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I got out for four hours and scored a 1731 KGII HP. The pic is from right out of the ground nearly 6" deep in the forest floor. I've found several of these in this area, always worn and fortunate to have a date intact. My Nox 800 always sings a steady 23 with them. This one like many I've found are not from nail infested foundation sites but isolates from what once must have been agricultural fields now grown over with woods. Colonial settlement in my area occurred around 1650, but a 1722 Rosa Americana HP and 1723 KGI HP are the oldest coins I've found through my 4 years of detecting. Still waiting to break back to the 1600's. Value-wise a coin like this isn't worth much money but I prize every one of them as I feel I've made a connection to my favorite era to study and read about. And a well-worn colonial coin has changed many hands and been a part of many transactions.

Attachments

• tres286.jpg
    tres286.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 25

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today I got out for four hours and scored a 1731 KGII HP. The pic is from right out of the ground nearly 6" deep in the forest floor. I've found several of these in this area, always worn and fortunate to have a date intact. My Nox 800 always sings a steady 23 with them. This one like many I've found are not from nail infested foundation sites but isolates from what once must have been agricultural fields now grown over with woods. Colonial settlement in my area occurred around 1650, but a 1722 Rosa Americana HP and 1723 KGI HP are the oldest coins I've found through my 4 years of detecting. Still waiting to break back to the 1600's. Value-wise a coin like this isn't worth much money but I prize every one of them as I feel I've made a connection to my favorite era to study and read about. And a well-worn colonial coin has changed many hands and been a part of many transactions.
who cares about the monetary value digging a copper is an amazing feeling, very cool find kinda jelly ;). Nice work!

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! If only those coins could talk

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice dig! Lol some day I'll find one of them in kansas.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find !

Metal Detecting for old coins ...
The only hobby that's all about money - but making a profit is not really important :tongue3:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice detail on the obverse illustrated, much better than any I have found. The ones I find are worn almost smooth and some are corroded besides.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great save and post. Glad you cherish the finds not matter the monetary value. Don't take your hunting grounds for granted. I love Kansas City but when I find anything from the 1800s its a big deal. HH

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. It's so tough to find these I'm just surprised how cheaply you can buy one online. Someone offered me a 100 bucks for it and I turned them down. Locals value their own history. I hunt for the thrill of discovery not the money. My town in 1686 had a population of 502 people. In the 1790 first US Census we had 1,496. So I figure the odds of finding a lost coin around the time my town had 1,000 inhabitants are challenging. George Washington lost the Battle for Long Island early on in the Revolution. The island was split between loyalists and Revolutionaries. Coinage was scarce.

Attachments

• 20220711_115620.jpg
    20220711_115620.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 18

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a nice one! Congratulations!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FIND !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread