🥇 BANNER 1733 colonial sundial and others

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out to my friends property and scored these finds in a swampy low area near the homesite. After a few hours of beating the mud and shallows, I got a screamer of a signal that turned out to be the sundial. I cleaned it to give it some eye appeal and will need to find an expert skilled in restoring a piece like this. Thanks for looking!

sundial perspective.jpg closeupsun.jpg sundial group.jpg sundial rose.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 102

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
If there was a banner for the banner, this would be on it! It is not only worthy of Banner - but a museum IMHO.

Yup, this find is certainly worth of that! I had mine in a small museum for a couple years. When I was researching mine I found 3 other examples in a museums, and millions of exact reproductions made in the 1970's by Colonial Williamsburg. Colonial sundials are extremely rare and sought after items!

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup, this find is certainly worth of that! I had mine in a small museum for a couple years. When I was researching mine I found 3 other examples in a museums, and millions of exact reproductions made in the 1970's by Colonial Williamsburg. Colonial sundials are extremely rare and sought after items!
I saw your banner sundial and it is a very cool and important historical relic! I am on a learning curve about these right now as I search for the right place to have it restored. I saw that you sealed yours to stop edge loss which was smart.
If you have any ideas about restoration on my sundial I would like to hear about them ....just PM me. Thanks Coinman!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that banner. One of the easiest votes I’ve cast on here. And all I find are regular old clock faces. Lol

I hear ya all I get is internals.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put Brasso on it and cleaned it to my taste.

Well you got the invite, but you came out of retirement and went back to work! This senior citizen loves retirement!:laughing7:

It turned out very nicely , I appreciate the reply.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm late to the chain here, and the Banner is awarded already, so I'll just raise my glass and say cheers, mate, very well done! :occasion14:

Misuraco

Dec 2, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX
Detect-Ed red belly shaft
Minelab ProFind 35
All 3 nox coils
Grave Digger tomb stone venom
Grave Digger side kick venom
At pro
Whites Mx5
Garrett ace400
Garrett pro pointer AT
Garrett pro po
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome! Congrats on your great finds

King Canslaw

Nov 30, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to my friends property and scored these finds in a swampy low area near the homesite. After a few hours of beating the mud and shallows, I got a screamer of a signal that turned out to be the sundial. I cleaned it to give it some eye appeal and will need to find an expert skilled in restoring a piece like this. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 1603165 View attachment 1603166 View attachment 1603167 View attachment 1603402

That's a beauty. Congrats to you sir.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My god that thing is stunning! Congrats on one of the more unique and special finds I’ve seen on here

CygnusX1

Jun 19, 2018
Covington, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll, Minelab Equinox 600 - Nokta Pinpointer, Xtreme scoop and handle.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find!

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keith-I haven't been on in quite a while and what a treat to see that incredible find up top. Don't think I have ever seen one in that condition and the craftsmanship is outstanding. I would think any of the top relic restorers could handle that.
I will also reiterate what Glen (Down n' Dirty) said-the other two buckles are amazing as well and the site you are on looks like a good one!
Congrats again my friend.

DetectorMoe

Apr 4, 2013
SouthEast North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox800, ATpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap Keith!! I didn't know you found this back in june, Congrats on making it a banner list..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread