174 lbs of BAD NEWS!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saw one of those up close this summer--they're huge!

All the best,

Lanny

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
To let you know,if it wants you youre not going to see it or hear it.Mountain lions,cougars,panthers, can jump 30 feet horizontally.Pace off 30 feet and you'll see what i mean.

GoldHunter24k

Nov 9, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! I had no idea they could get that big in California! I'm sure there are bigger ones out there too! I wonder how old it was.

Imagine looking up out of a hole and seeing this thing peering down at you! Yikes! Definitely earns the "lion" title

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where the Red Fern Grows

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GH24K - the caption said 7 - 8 years old.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How does bear spray work on a cougar?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
How does bear spray work on a cougar?

Cougars are ambush predators,if it wants you,as i said,you wont see it or hear it.You wont have time because you wont know what hit you.

Sandflea

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had one jump me in the Colorado Rockies years ago, only thing that saved us was the tree it was in broke as it jumped, scared it as much as me. I got 2 broke ribs and pony got a jab hole in flank from a broken limb, we were lucky, only a 4 hr ride back to the house.

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Sometimes I hate being a cat person whatever that means . I know they are probably the most dangerous thing out there for us here in northern ca . And I don't want any people hurt or even loss of lively hood . But I hate seeing them dead, such beautiful creatures .

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
See the way to solve this problem is to adopt a baby Cougar (Legally) and raise it as your own. :)
That will help, and scare off claim jumpers! :D

A Cougar is also on my list of biggets fears, also Big Cats worry me too. (See what I did there? LOL!)

I do want a prospecting buddy with me though in the future, I have been thinking about a German Shepherd or Lab Mix like my old long gone friends were.
I can count a few times when having a 4 legged friend alarmed me and my father about bear long before we ever saw them and scare them off for us too.

I have also always wanted to adopt a Cougar, ever since I was a kid and Maveric (A Cougar) came to our Middle School here in Redding with his handler who also adopting him and went around schools for programs that taught kids and made us aware.

My high school was Foothill High School (Class of 2000), our mascot is a Cougar and we had an adult Cougar stuff in our main office, huge huge huge Cat.

Just be careful when you are out, extra eyes and ears and ALWAYS looking around and wearing an extra set of sunglasses backwards on Cougar land is a very good way not to be dinner.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a Bear comes through the yard my dog want's out to go get it.......every once in a wile she barks...and then whines for her Dad to make her feel safe.....thats when a cat is coming through

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree, Its always safest to prospect with a friend who you know has your back. My bro goes by the name Sturm Ruger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread