๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER 1767 FRENCH GRENADIER SWORD!!! Pepperbox Pistol and our 100th Seated Silver!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I'm absolutely shocked. Evidently I've just dug a 250 year old, 1700's military sword of the type carried by the U.S. Continental infantry troops during the Rev War. There aren't too many things I could dig and be completely shocked. Well this is it. Here's the video:

Went out with Shangalang and my wife, Diggergirl. We hit the cane fields after speaking to the owner of the property and seeing how they were doing and how their Thanksgiving was going. Pretty soon Shang hit a shield nickel, then I got a V. Then Diggergirl came smiling with a broken brass hammer used for working around natural gas and oil (won't spark). But it was a psych out, as she then opened her hand to reveal our 100th Seated coin dug since we started digging in 2012: a taco bent 1851-O Half Dime:

212_1585.JPG IMG_8666.jpeg

After that I eyeballed a nice Shield nickel on top of the ground:

212_1580.JPG

Then surprisingly I eyeballed another--also right on top!

IMG_8668.jpeg

The craziest part is that BOTH of these coins had dates--1869 and 1871! (Although I knew that the second one would be a nice one when I wiped it off in the field) :)

IMG_8671.jpeg IMG_8672.jpeg

We eyeballed a ton of porcelain buttons. Common to find a few. Uncommon to find a handful:

IMG_1951.JPG

Then Shang left after lunch to prepare to roast a whole pig and DG and I kept digging! Soon DG came running up with a find I've never seen made before in person--what I strongly suspected to be a PEPPERBOX PISTOL! Doing some quick googling confirmed it! I'm almost positive that this is an Allen & Thurber six shot pepperbox pistol from c.1837!

IMG_8684.jpeg IMG_8687A.jpg

After light cleaning, I was pleased to be able to open up almost all of the percussion cap nipples with a safety pin, and all but one barrel cleaned out well (the last barrel may actually still be loaded).

IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1955.JPG

Then Digger Girl got a lead toy cannon (early 20th c) and this strange tiny brass arrow that looks like it was braised onto something:

IMG_1958.JPG

I walked up on a nice find, a Civil War Enfield tompion, where it had washed out of the ground:

IMG_8698.jpeg IMG_8699.jpeg

Then I got a nice, 12 inch deep 86 reading. Too low for a silver half. Too high for a silver quarter on my F75. I was thinking that it had to be a piece of brass pipe (we've found some plumbing stuff in this site, as it's a mixed site with old and new, including a lot of aluminum can!). Over a foot down in the top of a row rolled out what I thought was exactly that--a brass piece of pipe. But I picked it up and it was HEAVY. Then I saw the shape and started screaming "SWORD!!! SWORD!!!!"

IMG_8675.jpeg

I just couldn't believe it. It was an entirely intact pommel except for the knucklebow and cross. But then I started searching online and wrote to the international sword forum for an ID and what came back shocked me even more! It's a model 1767 French Marine Grenadier Sabre! I'm just STUNNED to see this 250 year old military relic. SHOCKED! So it's either Colonial French or Rev War in provenance. Take your pick; in South Louisiana it's a toss up!

IMG_8704.jpeg IMG_8711.JPG

EDIT: Closer investigation reveals that it may be more like this style of the M1767, with the scalloped top. Note the ever-so-slightly different shape where the knuckle bow meets the grip:

IMG_8713.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG IMG_1948.JPG

I'm just shocked. Humbled by history.

Wishing all of you the best,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 122

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Hunt!!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the banner buddy! I wish I hadn't left and been there to see you dig it! Theres that lightening striking twice again lol

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner buddy! I wish I hadn't left and been there to see you dig it! Theres that lightening striking twice again lol

Hell yeah it did! Amazing! Iโ€™m so happy we got to all dig together! We gonna have some help to get that silver count up here in a few weeks once the Kentucky reinforcements arrive ��

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah for sure! I've never seen this model of sword posted on Tnet

Sorry to be late to the party Buck. What a fantastic site you've come upon. I posted a similar 1767 Grenadier Hanger sword hilt a few years ago and it remains near and dear to my heart. I was fortunate that TNET member Mangum was able to identify my piece, as I was flabbergasted by the find and had no idea at the time what a had found. You gotta love this community.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...renadiers-sword-grip-american-revolution.html

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Epic. Congratulations!

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your wonderful recoveries and another Banner find. SD

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A super amazing hunt BB, I'd be glad to have 1 Shield Nickle .
Heck I'd take a porcelain button or 2 . lol

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A great post and a great hunt... truly an enjoyable read! :thumbsup:

Congratulations on achieving BANNER #7 on Tnet BB! :notworthy:

Dave

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Crazy good as usual Buck!

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to be late to the party Buck. What a fantastic site you've come upon. I posted a similar 1767 Grenadier Hanger sword hilt a few years ago and it remains near and dear to my heart. I was fortunate that TNET member Mangum was able to identify my piece, as I was flabbergasted by the find and had no idea at the time what a had found. You gotta love this community.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...renadiers-sword-grip-american-revolution.html

right you are!! Now seeing yours without the cross piece Iโ€™m convinced mine is the type with the scalloped knuckle bow. Amazing! Congrats on your great sword find, my French Colonial sword brother!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great post and a great hunt... truly an enjoyable read! :thumbsup:

Congratulations on achieving BANNER #7 on Tnet BB! :notworthy:

Dave

Thanks my friend! Never thought itโ€™d happen!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck what a fantastic piece to add to your giant collection! It always feels nice when something different or unique pops out of the dirt. We can all find early coins but some of these relics are very difficult to recover. I know for me I really cherish some of my better relic finds. Congrats on the BANNER

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck what a fantastic piece to add to your giant collection! It always feels nice when something different or unique pops out of the dirt. We can all find early coins but some of these relics are very difficult to recover. I know for me I really cherish some of my better relic finds. Congrats on the BANNER

Thanks so much my good friend! You put this exactly right. Coins are the easy part of what we do. Unless they are exceedingly rare, thereโ€™s so many other things to find which are much more scarce and precious. Thank you for your kind words.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how I missed this one, sword handle is fantastic buck, but so is the rest of the lot. Huge congrats on the banner

Thanks so much VMI!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread