Upvote 6

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But the reality is a lot of people do use those books which makes them completely relevant when trying to determine what someone might pay, and I think it's pretty common knowledge that anything rare is determined by what someone is willing to pay. People can have such different ideas of what a coin is worth it's good to have a book or reference that indicates what's the most that can probably be expected... because then you just raise the price 20% like I do!

I can't deny a vast majority of people use them, just my opinion on them. It can give you a general sense if a coin is valuable. The reality is if a coin is listed at say $100.00, most dealers will likely not pay more than 60-70% of that. This causes many people to distrust dealers or feel they are being ripped off, but that is what the markup is. It also depends alot on the coin and how fast a dealer might get his money back out of it. Sometimes they will go higher for coins that are key dates or are really nice examples or if they already have a buyer. This is why I said I don't care for them. Just my opinion, they seem to lead to many misconceptions.

I prefer the 'Gray Sheet' it is closer to what you might get selling it, although it too is generally more than most dealers are willing to pay and doesn't cover every coin.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see those everyday, nice recovery!

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Great find! Talk about a piece of history.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you still think this is banner worthy?

Of course it is, and is FAR better than many finds that have been up there over the years, but unfortunately rarity, history, and value isn't enough because there's a VERY STUPID rule that it must look pretty. It's a total insult to metal detecting and why the banner isn't really authentic.

PS: My best copper find also didn't make it, but my common Spanish cob that can be bought every day on ebay did.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sonnyjam

sonnyjam

Jan 18, 2009
Okay, thank you for the explanation, it is greatly appreciated.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hope it does well in the auction.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At $550 I think you'd be doing very well considering the condition and it having dropped to a 5+ rarity. The main reason it's getting that I assume is being a mule.... always seems to add a little more interest to coins.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn that's a killer copper and great id. If that doesn't make the banner I will lose all faith. I don't care about the condition. When you're talking about those very low numbers it's gotta go up top. Great find bud

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Damn that's a killer copper and great id. If that doesn't make the banner I will lose all faith. I don't care about the condition. When you're talking about those very low numbers it's gotta go up top. Great find bud

Highly doubtful since it was found in 2012. Took me a while to notice the initial thread date.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly doubtful since it was found in 2012. Took me a while to notice the initial thread date.

Ohhhh I see. Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I need to pay more attention

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ohhhh I see. Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I need to pay more attention

All things considered Abe it didn't make the banner it back 2012 either which made me wonder. I guess there was a reason that it didn't make it, but there was a sure a lot of votes saying it was banner material. I think I would of voted if I'd caught the first posting of the coin.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All things considered Abe it didn't make the banner it back 2012 either which made me wonder. I guess there was a reason that it didn't make it, but there was a sure a lot of votes saying it was banner material. I think I would of voted if I'd caught the first posting of the coin.
Yeah that's a shame. If I found a coin with less than 30 on earth id be pretty bummed to not see it up top....but if be very happy to have it in my collection

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it does well, will watch this one, my son still has his, found in 1989, we found 3 Vermont's in that field, IP even got the chance to hunt there many moons ago. :)

Attachments

• Ryder1Vt.jpg
    Ryder1Vt.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 101

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

Banner considerations have evolved immensely in past few years from my own observations. Only a few years ago items we see routinely these days were making banners all the time ie Spanish reales and such, of course, significant finds were too; but nowadays it's the cream of the crop making it, as it should be. Extremely rare and obscure finds weren't brought to the forefront as readily. We can now attribute better banners with shared knowledge and better posting guidelines to help identify these finds. But it all boils down to what the general voting public want to see. These days people pull the banner trigger without hesitation, although not all finds are considered, many are still voted for without knowing or showing the background and significance of the find. Even having said that, many great finds just don't get enough recognition in their own respect, a good example might be finding a super military button the day someone else posts say a cache of gold coins, gems get buried and shoved out the spotlight. One might call that one the downsides to being part of a huge detecting community such as this one.
Best way to have/ make banners is to be lucky enough to make the finds and be a good "salesman" for your product(find); it's not going to get easier from what I've been seeing, only a little more difficult, which I feel is good. So, hopefully we can see some more awesome finds up top and hopefully another nice old rare state copper soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread