1787 Fugio Cent

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On Sunday, we hunted an old, no longer used football field that dates back to the 1950's. The old rusted goalposts and scoreboard still stand as does one set of rusted bleachers. We hunted for about two and a half hours and in that time we dug 75 clads with a face value of $10.23. About a half hour before we left I got a solid hit on my AT Max with a VDI reading of 87 which generally means a clad quarter. The depth reading was at four bars which means somewhere between six and eight inches deep. I dug the plug and at seven inches i could see the coin in the plug and my first thought was a clad half or a token. After rubbing some dirt off the coin I could see that it was a Fugio Cent minted in my home state of Connecticut in 1788 but dated 1787. Unfortunately, it's pretty well toasted but it's my oldest US coin find ever.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    912.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    511.9 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 46

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome find! Proof that you just never can predict when and where gloriously old, beautiful coins are going to show up. Congrats to you!

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome find! Proof that you just never can predict when and where gloriously old, beautiful coins are going to show up. Congrats to you!
Thank you very much.....I thought that I might possibly dig a silver coin at this site but had no thoughts whatsoever about finding a colonial coin.

Cochisz

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Sunday, we hunted an old, no longer used football field that dates back to the 1950's. The old rusted goalposts and scoreboard still stand as does one set of rusted bleachers. We hunted for about two and a half hours and in that time we dug 75 clads with a face value of $10.23. About a half hour before we left I got a solid hit on my AT Max with a VDI reading of 87 which generally means a clad quarter. The depth reading was at four bars which means somewhere between six and eight inches deep. I dug the plug and at seven inches i could see the coin in the plug and my first thought was a clad half or a token. After rubbing some dirt off the coin I could see that it was a Fugio Cent minted in my home state of Connecticut in 1788 but dated 1787. Unfortunately, it's pretty well toasted but it's my oldest US coin find ever.
Great find, Congrats

Cochisz

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread