1790 House gives up an Old Copper!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Today, I’m working a new permission; a home built in 1790. The 4 acre lot has about 1 ½ acre detector accessible. I’ve covered about ½ acre today over a 5 hour hunt. I found a few relics, lots of junk and a 1806 Draped Bust Large cent. Unfortunately it’s in toasted condition, but still cool. The area hunted today is perpetually wet, hence will wreak havoc with copper coins. I gave everything to the home owner except the coin (they do not know I found it). I cleaned it as best as possible, created/printed a research of the coin and placed in a 2 x 2 coin folder; tomorrow I will present the surprise coin. This coin was minted 16 years after the home was built; I hope they will be pleased. I will be hunting this property for another week or so, since the owners will be placing it on the market and time hunting is very short.

Sorry for the tough photos, some detail can be seen as shown, but much more detail can be seen if held in direct sunlight at an angle.

Thank you for looking,

GL & HH

Doc

1790 House 2 7_15_19.jpg Obverse 1790 House 7_15_19.jpg Reverse

Upvote 20

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a very nice property Doc. You will surely earn some major karma points for presenting the coin and your research to the owner. I'm guessing they will be thrilled. Congrats!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Hope they appreciate the effort! I bet you'll find more there...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job my friend...Thats a great thing your doing tells alot about the kind of person you are. I think they will really appreciate it let us know how it goes. Great post. Tommy

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coin Prof! 1810 is my oldest LC. That would be hard to give up. What’s the arrangement you have with the home owner? I have a couple old homesite permissions where I split the finds, but they are way into the history of their homes. Seems strange that your home owners are selling the property and still want your finds. Your a good man! Congrats

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Prof, great save!! While I do not have access to many, maybe none..18th century sites, I managed an 1804 DB LC in an early 1800's house in town. Can barely make out date and bust and the obverse is roached. I'm sure your homeowners will be super excited about that coin, that's awesome of you. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how the presentation went! Ddf.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on taking the time to make a nice presentation piece for the property owner. I have permission for the oldest settled property in my town (1660s). This family is extremely wealthy and very very private. I have only hunted it a few times and refuse to bother them more than once or twice a year. I have yet to find the site of that super early settler but I have found several 18th Century relics and a few coins there. They told me right up front they did not want anything. I recorded everything I found and put it all together in a nice oak case with a glass front. After a couple years I called them on Christmas Eve and asked if we could get together. They came over to my house and I presented them with the case and a description of every find with a date range. They were so incredibly thankful that I took the time to give them something that helped to define the history of their amazing property. They are beyond wealthy and could have anything that money could buy....but they understood that these dirty old coins and relics had a very different sort of worth to them. It felt really amazing to hand that case to them and have the knowledge that it would forever be on the property where it belonged. Great job Professor

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello pa-dirt_nc-sand,

We arranged a 50/50 split, but most cases I just give the homeowner everything, unless it is something not in my collection. The home owner said I could keep everything, I declined and gave it all to her.

I do a lot of historical work, high end properties and estate hunting with usually a fairly nice stipend ($300 - $400/day plus expenses) for my work; all by work of mouth.

Regards,

Doc

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a very similar permission (mother’s house of Tnet member dirt-eater). It’s about 2.5 acres, has a low wet spot and a ton of debris from a barn pull down. House was built in 1750 and is super tough to hunt, literally carpeted with square nails. I really need to go super low and slow as I can’t pull any silver out of it. The oldest coin found was a 1850 largie and some great relics. The house is vacant so I can return periodically to try my luck.

Great job Doc!!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice permission Doc & really nice DB LC, Great thing your doing on the return, congratulations & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions