1791 Treaty--New York Cased silver watch. Need information.Humbert & Mairet.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1791 Treaty--New York Cased silver watch. Need information.Humbert & Mairet.

Humbert & Mairet. Movement. I believe this company made watches going back to at least 1730...
Marks inside ..
'DHC,' '3552,' '3362,' 'T15.'

Engraved Alexander M. "unreadable" Now verified as McGillivray.

Present of G. Washington

1791 Treaty-New York
(I do know 1791 was date of treaty with Creek Indian Nation.)

It is key wind, of course...
This watch has been given to be ID..ed
It could end up on national TV.
Any thing you might come up with..Please.
Sorry.these are the only photo's I have at the moment.
Thank You!!
DG

Attachments

• tnetone.jpg
    tnetone.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,233
  • tnettwwo.jpg
    tnettwwo.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,415
  • tetthree.jpg
    tetthree.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 962

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 1791 Treaty--New York Cased silver watch. Need information.Humbert & Mairet.

hi dg39
beautyful old watch i live in N.Y. but know nothing on the watch or that treaty.
I googled treaty ny 1790 and a lot of stuff came up about the Creek indains so you should try that
Gary

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: 1791 Treaty--New York Cased silver watch. Need information.Humbert & Mairet.

Wow dg!! Thats the Creek leader Alexander McGillivray.

I dont want to jinx this post by voting banner because anytime I vote it doesnt make it but

Banner all the way!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:

I dont want to jinx this post by voting banner because anytime I vote it doesnt make it but

Banner all the way!!!!

That is pretty much what I figured. I do know it is the real deal and have examined it closely.
Any one ..any more info. or questions? I need all the help I can get...

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

That would be incredible just to hold that in my hand for a few seconds lol. Absolutely incredible if authentic. Ill bet the Indian Nation would pay big to get this back. Incredible piece of history. I will say no more because I dont want to jinx you. You need to post in Todays Finds and looking forward to seeing it on TV. The WII forum a little slow this week. Wait until everyone sees it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
dg39 said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Banner all the way!!!!

That is pretty much what I figured. I do know it is the real deal and have examined it closely.
Any one ..any more info. or questions? I need all the help I can get...
I thought you said it was unreadable? :icon_scratch: Well I hope the best. :icon_thumright:
dg39 said:
Engraved Alexander M. "unreadable"

Present of G. Washington
I was not sure..My eyes are old...
DG

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

dg39 said:
I was not sure..My eyes are old...
DG
I have old script alphabets on my other computer to compare but I think thats what it says.

I hope its the real deal and one of a kind presented to the chief. This will make good research. :read2:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

"He went to N.Y. with Alex McGillivray; there he was presented by Washington with a medal which was buried with him at Pass Christian" found this but I cant search. Im not on my computer.

Upvote 0

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez

Stunning, and beautiful!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dg39

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do know that it is authentic and also know some of it's history. It is from a fantastic small collection of items.
Would anyone venture to offer a reasonable value in their opinion? I placed the item to see if my thoughts could be backed up.They were. Any extra information would be welcome. It is a fantastic experience to hold something that may have been in the hands of a great Native American leader and given by our nations first president..As a Museum Director, I consider this site one of the best.
Keep the information coming!
.. Thank You to All!!
DG

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amazing....just amazing, As for as a price......How could you put a price on that! It's a one of a kind....Personally I think it should go to the Creek Nation. jmho

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Banner find, for sure !!

"J Alexander McGillivray (c. 1759-1793), a Creek Chief belonging to the Wind Clan of
the Upper Creek Indians, a Loyalist during the Revolution. From 1784 to his death in
1793, McGillivray, courted by merchants, speculators, filibusters, and by the governments
of Georgia, the United States, and Spain, enjoyed a career of international significance.
His chief interests were diplomacy, trade, planting, and drink. At one time he owned three
plantations and about sixty slaves. For a lively account of the state visit of McGillivray
to New York in July, 1790, see Schouler, History of the United States, vol. I, pp. 171-2."
Source: Full text of "New Letters Of Abigail Adams 1788 1801" (page 57)
http://www.archive.org/stream/newlettersofabig002627mbp/newlettersofabig002627mbp_djvu.txt

Don....

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice, what is the story behind it did you find it or just getting an Id for someone else? HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

5woodluther

Dec 4, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

here's more info on McGillivay.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Alexander_McGillivray.aspx

There were other Indian leaders that also attended the summit in New York for the treaty. Possibly the best info would be via the govenment to see if there are any records of purchase for the wtach or watches if they were given to each Indian Leader that signed the treaty.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I think the watch was presented to the chief himself. There should be record of the presentation.

Gunrunner61 said:
Amazing....just amazing, As for as a price......How could you put a price on that! It's a one of a kind....Personally I think it should go to the Creek Nation. jmho
Nowadays Eastern Indians have money. At least the Seminoles here have more than plenty and I think they are Creeks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seminole. There is no need to donate to the rich but I agree the Indians should have an equal opportunity to purchase it, if it goes on sale..

Who knows, they may want to purchase it just to destroy it with all the broken promises/treaties. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Broken knee said:
Nice, what is the story behind it did you find it or just getting an Id for someone else? HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Amazing piece dg39 .. I would also like to hear the story behind how you acquired this watch :o Yard sale/flea market/auction?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread