1798 Draped Bust Large Cent

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a little play time this weekend so I decided to recon new sites. On the way to the area I got distracted when I saw a clam fragment at a construction site on the side of the highway. I usually stay in the pine barrens because the large cents get destroyed in the fields. I almost forgot what it was like to spend a sunny day in a field. I managed to spot this Indian pestle sitting right on top (look behind the detector in the picture) The large cent came out of a trashed out area using high discrimination and the buckle and rig came from a clean wooded area. Please chime in if you can identify the variety of large cent.
keg 2.jpg
keg1.jpg
keg3.jpg
keg5.jpg

Upvote 27

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a little play time this weekend so I decided to recon new sites. On the way to the area I got distracted when I saw a clam fragment at a construction site on the side of the highway. I usually stay in the pine barrens because the large cents get destroyed in the fields. I almost forgot what it was like to spend a sunny day in a field. I managed to spot this Indian pestle sitting right on top (look behind the detector in the picture) The large cent came out of a trashed out area using high discrimination and the buckle and rig came from a clean wooded area. Please chime in if you can identify the variety of large cent.
View attachment 2073070 View attachment 2073071 View attachment 2073072 View attachment 2073075
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
It's a "Style 1 Hair" 1798 cent. They are harder to find than "Style 2 hair." The "9" in the date is tipped to the left, which possibly points to one of the 1798/7 overdates (S-150, S-151, S-152). Based on the position of the "E" over the hair on the obverse, I'm going to guess 1798/7 S-152. Congrats on a nice find!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds :) Love the large cents. What size coil and program on the II Thanks for sharing with us !!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2073070 View attachment 2073071 View attachment 2073072 View attachment 2073075
Very nice

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great eye on recon'ing the site and great finds!!

OP
OP
cannonball

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a "Style 1 Hair" 1798 cent. They are harder to find than "Style 2 hair." The "9" in the date is tipped to the left, which possibly points to one of the 1798/7 overdates (S-150, S-151, S-152). Based on the position of the "E" over the hair on the obverse, I'm going to guess 1798/7 S-152. Congrats on a nice find!
Thanks for the help with the ID. Nice Job!!

OP
OP
cannonball

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds :) Love the large cents. What size coil and program on the II Thanks for sharing with us !!
11" coil with a custom program the changes based on conditions.

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1798 One Cent is in decent shape. Very nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread