1800s church permission short hunt.Possible pocket watch with eagle and mountains?

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted this area since I was a kid. I have walked the creek for arrowheads and metal detected. There has been a school on the ground from the 1800s(documented atleast) to the 1970s. There is a "community center" that has also been a gathering place for well over 200 years. This spot boasts one of the oldest 4th of July celebrations in the state. Its solid hunting ground. Today I ventured to the 1800s church next door where I asked permission a few weeks ago. They saw my work at the park and welcomed me with open arms. I was only out 20 minutes. Dug 3 holes, 2 modern dimes and a modern penny. As it was just getting too dark I went over by a street light and got a very SOLID 71 signal on my Garret. I figured an older copper penny or maybe a new dime(from my personal experience, but those aren't usually so solid).I pinpointed and could tell it wasn't too deep or too big. I dug about a 4"deep plug and when I flipped it, I could just see the eagle in the streetlight. I crapped my pants. Checked the hole, and area... nothing. Back at the car I calmed down, but I just have a thing for eagles... and mountains, so this piece is just awesome to me. It appears to have a broken latch at the top, a semi circle cut out on the right side and maybe had hinges at the bottom(the bottom is the most damaged and missing part. ) is this a pocket watch cover? Any other ideas? Idea of age? I've seen no marks anywhere and there was nothing else in the immediate area I found this in sadly. Cool find either way, I hope somebody can tell me for sure if its part of a watch or what. I think I'm going to inlay it into my old Marlin model 60 squirrel rifle stock. Very cool scene. Almost appears made for my area with the mountains and the pine trees in the background. I love the eagle, LOVE IT, lol! It was obviously gold plated or something as you can still see around the edges and on some spots. Hope you all enjoy and I'll be back here asap. This spot is 10 mins from my house and these guys love me. Supposedly Virgin ground(as far as is known) as well. Thats always a good thing. I did find a nice silver 1944 quarter in front of the old snackstand at the old ballfield... just under the surface near a modern coin spill. Much more investigating to do! Any info on this piece is appreciated!
20201213_202149.jpg 20201213_202029.jpg 20201213_202127.jpg 20201213_202133.jpg 20201213_202139.jpg 20201213_202033.jpg 20201213_202114.jpg 20201213_202127.jpg 20201213_230830.jpg 20201213_230756.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10
OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be good now, I appreciate you letting me know!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MrMarsHill,

Looks like you had a real nice hunt. The eagle is definitely a very nice find - I am also partial to eagles. Add in the silver quarter and you had a winning day. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems kind of "manly" for a ladies makeup compact... maybe a patriotic one during war times etc? I instantly thought pocket watch or compass or even a snuff box. Ladies compact hadnt crossed my mind. Could very well be, ill have to add that to the list of possibilities. I appreciate the support everybody! The silver quarter was actually found on a previous hunt, but fit in with the virgin ground idea I was conveying because of the silver coin next to an almost $5 modern coin spill. I do NOT think they were dropped at the same time, but shows its doubtful anybody has hunted this spot yet! That's always a dream! Too bad the place is still frequented so modern trash and treasure is much more frequent, lol. I hate these early sundowns... waiting for spring and summer, detecting until 9-930pm+. It was getting dark here, too dark to detect anyway, at about 530pm... I don't get much more than a few minutes here and there. Maybe an hour or 2 on the weekends. Luckily I have sole permission so if I see any other detectors... I can run them off lol. I doubt I would, plenty of space... I'm just always nervous someone will come along and leave a mess and ruin my reputation. Heck, I've dug in historic front yards etc and youd never know... another guy comes along and makes a mess, you know the story. Permissions denied! Rambling again sorry, I literally can't help it ,lol! Do fill your holes though and carry out your TRASH and treasures, its a great service to the land and our hobby... See, my rambling does have a point, sometimes lol!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted this area since I was a kid. I have walked the creek for arrowheads and metal detected. There has been a school on the ground from the 1800s(documented atleast) to the 1970s. There is a "community center" that has also been a gathering place for well over 200 years. This spot boasts one of the oldest 4th of July celebrations in the state. Its solid hunting ground. Today I ventured to the 1800s church next door where I asked permission a few weeks ago. They saw my work at the park and welcomed me with open arms. I was only out 20 minutes. Dug 3 holes, 2 modern dimes and a modern penny. As it was just getting too dark I went over by a street light and got a very SOLID 71 signal on my Garret. I figured an older copper penny or maybe a new dime(from my personal experience, but those aren't usually so solid).I pinpointed and could tell it wasn't too deep or too big. I dug about a 4"deep plug and when I flipped it, I could just see the eagle in the streetlight. I crapped my pants. Checked the hole, and area... nothing. Back at the car I calmed down, but I just have a thing for eagles... and mountains, so this piece is just awesome to me. It appears to have a broken latch at the top, a semi circle cut out on the right side and maybe had hinges at the bottom(the bottom is the most damaged and missing part. ) is this a pocket watch cover? Any other ideas? Idea of age? I've seen no marks anywhere and there was nothing else in the immediate area I found this in sadly. Cool find either way, I hope somebody can tell me for sure if its part of a watch or what. I think I'm going to inlay it into my old Marlin model 60 squirrel rifle stock. Very cool scene. Almost appears made for my area with the mountains and the pine trees in the background. I love the eagle, LOVE IT, lol! It was obviously gold plated or something as you can still see around the edges and on some spots. Hope you all enjoy and I'll be back here asap. This spot is 10 mins from my house and these guys love me. Supposedly Virgin ground(as far as is known) as well. Thats always a good thing. I did find a nice silver 1944 quarter in front of the old snackstand at the old ballfield... just under the surface near a modern coin spill. Much more investigating to do! Any info on this piece is appreciated!
View attachment 1886208 View attachment 1886209 View attachment 1886211 View attachment 1886212 View attachment 1886213 View attachment 1886214 View attachment 1886215 View attachment 1886211 View attachment 1886216 View attachment 1886217
Congratulations on your great recoveries

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..and the Eagle flies! What a beauty! Never seen one like that before.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The case cover looks modern. The background/sky (texture)of the scene is typical of new castings.
Thinking back I had a enclosed fob watch that had a similar cover.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Either way VERY cool finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions