1800's Dutch Case Gin Bottle

geofrac

Dec 7, 2021
I recently purchased this dark olive green bottle at a local antique store. I found it's a Case Gin Bottle from Holland made in the late 1800's. But the odd thing is: there's a Triangle embossed where the 'S' should be. It should be "W. Haskamp & C". Also, it's in amazing condition.

My question is this: is this a mistake, or on purpose?
Does it increase the value?

Much Thanks,
Greg Stanley
Bakersfield CA

Attachments

• Bottle 1.jpg
    Bottle 1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Bottle 2.jpg
    Bottle 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Bottle 3.jpg
    Bottle 3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Bottle 4.jpg
    Bottle 4.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Bottle 5.jpg
    Bottle 5.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Bottle 6.jpg
    Bottle 6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 11

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased this dark olive green bottle at a local antique store. I found it's a Case Gin Bottle from Holland made in the late 1800's. But the odd thing is: there's a Triangle embossed where the 'S' should be. It should be "W. Haskamp & C". Also, it's in amazing condition.

My question is this: is this a mistake, or on purpose?
Does it increase the value?

Much Thanks,
Greg Stanley
Bakersfield CA
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice purchase indeed.
Was it a value extra tacked onto the sale price or something that you discovered after your purchase?
Thanks for the post up-it's a real beauty and a ?? on the question also. (I'll keep looking at some sites)

I always had a soft spot for the case gins, dug a few back in the days of digging.
This one came from a ghost town that we dug at for years-it was floating in one of the waterways/ditches still.
Either it popped up from the bottom of the ditch or it had survived the 8 decades of just being there.
It was a "Oh Ya"! moment and a memory that has lasted 50 yrs.
20200702_162931.jpg

OP
OP
G

geofrac

Dec 7, 2021
Very nice purchase indeed.
Was it a value extra tacked onto the sale price or something that you discovered after your purchase?
Thanks for the post up-it's a real beauty and a ?? on the question also. (I'll keep looking at some sites)

I always had a soft spot for the case gins, dug a few back in the days of digging.
This one came from a ghost town that we dug at for years-it was floating in one of the waterways/ditches still.
Either it popped up from the bottom of the ditch or it had survived the 8 decades of just being there.
It was a "Oh Ya"! moment and a memory that has lasted 50 yrs. View attachment 1995486
NICE FINE; cleaned up nicely.

I noticed it there and thought it was odd. One of the reasons I bought it. The seller thought it was an "N" and they also thought it was a "Bitters" bottle. Took me some time to determine it was an "S".

I have a few other "Gin" bottles, one early 1800's with a pontil mark.

Again Thanks,

Attachments

• At store.jpg
    At store.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 36

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread