HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea if its worth anything. I think I said that I would not have it melted as scrap. I think its cool but I love everything old and brass in our modern world of plastic. I would hope it has more value than melt down. Put it on eBay and see if it attracts any interest.

This is a artifact that would have too sell too the right buyer (someone who is into earlier industrial artifacts like collectors who collect vintage fire nozzles,etc) a artifact like this in this good condition (thankfully it is been preserved thanks too the river or it would be scrap metal) with a patent date of 19th century would sell too the right buyer. I know I would gamble on this artifact then contact the company and see if they would be interested (you could have amazing luck in contacting the company too see if they are interested) in it or not I could find a buyer for it eventually.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
2 members are interested so if you decide to try eBay, let them know so they can bid. Im sorry for the misunderstanding as I really have no idea of the value. Make sure to ship in a flat rate box. Maybe a search will reveal a sale on Worthpoint.

Upvote 0

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol, i blame no one. But when i said i want it, i didnt expect you to just hand it over. How much does it weigh? And what would the scrap value be worth on it? If it will fit in a flat rate box, then it shouldnt cost much at all to ship, they just charge by the box, not the wieght if its not over 70lbs i believe. I have some stuff ive been collecting, including a full door off one of our old fire trucks, lol. But this would be small enough to actually display....................so with all that said, what do you want for it?
Firelord, I'd give it to you had someone here not said it might be worth something.
You'll have to blame them. :)

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would value it at between $40 and $100 with the company name, patent date (19th c), state listed and excellent condition.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok......now, i have someone to blame! LMAO

From my experience on TreasureNet members who post things rarely sell them too other members on here but try other methods like E-Bay. I have contacted a few members here offering too buy and only have purchased very little!! lot will act like they want too sell it too you but then normally back off when they find probably a better deal because most will go seek other offers pretty quick. So I am just being honest!! If someone brought this too me and wanted too sell it I would offer them $45 or maybe $60 only too gamble too sell it for $185 too a collector in industrial tools or too someone tied in with the company but i would more of less have too wait a few months too get that much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i havent been here long enough to see anything bought or trying to sell. This item kinda appealed to me just because im a FF and like keeping old fire stuff (although my wife thinks i hoard,lol)and theres a good possibility it was meant for a steam pumper. i wasnt going to buy it intending to resell it. There may come a day when that might happen, but i thought it would look cool in the house for some time. i wasnt going to pay alot for it though, so i guess ill see what he might want, if he decides to sell
From my experience on TreasureNet members who post things rarely sell them too other members on here but try other methods like E-Bay. I have contacted a few members here offering too buy and only have purchased very little!! lot will act like they want too sell it too you but then normally back off when they find probably a better deal because most will go seek other offers pretty quick. So I am just being honest!! If someone brought this too me and wanted too sell it I would offer them $45 or maybe $60 only too gamble too sell it for $185-300 too a collector in industrial tools or too someone tied in with the company but i would more of less have too wait a few months too get that much.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i havent been here long enough to see anything bought or trying to sell. This item kinda appealed to me just because im a FF and like keeping old fire stuff (although my wife thinks i hoard,lol)and theres a good possibility it was meant for a steam pumper. i wasnt going to buy it intending to resell it. There may come a day when that might happen, but i thought it would look cool in the house for some time. i wasnt going to pay alot for it though, so i guess ill see what he might want, if he decides to sell

I ran volunteer rescue squad for a few years so i know how you FF guys are when it comes too tools and machinery.. that is the type of crowd that buys these kind of things! I really enjoy the old 19th century patent date and then the (Dayton Ohio U.S.A.) just really enjoy seeing the late 1800s industrial time period with artifacts like this in excellent condition basically.. I do hope this person gives it too you dude because I can honestly see this being a decorative piece in a FFs house...

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Selling antiques and collectables is my only source of income when Im not working in the swamp. When Marc owned the original TN, buying and selling was frowned upon in this forum for obvious reasons. If I was dishonest, I could make a lowball appraisal and then offer to buy it. I have upset many a poster that refused to believe their item was worthless and they blamed me lol. Myself I would never attempt to profit from a lowball appraisal on the WIIT Forum. Of note here is that fireford is not looking to profit but he doesnt want to overpay.

I think we have a classified section to buy and sell but I certainly have sold items from the WIIT Forum usually by Private Messages. For instance someone begged me for my Hitler ashtray that I originally had no intention of selling but I finally sold at a fair price for both of us. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/80925-flick-your-ashes-hitler-s-hearth.html

I also sold some rare racetrac photos and met some nice people. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/16428-old-racing-pictures-found-trash-racetrac-ided-2.html I still get requests for my remaining photographs.

I wish I knew the value. I would give you an honest answer. I could give you my gut feeling but it wouldnt mean much. Its worth what someone is willing to pay. The value may also rest on how many survived and is there any demand for hydrant relief valves? Could it have been used on something more romantic?

Some of my antique Stanley planes have good value only because woodmakers prefer to use them over modern junk. Can the item actually be used today and who would use it? I would imagine it needs rebuilt inside so I would not grade this as excellent condition. That would get you in trouble. We have no idea what is or what isnt inside.

The best way to appraise this item would be the same way a real estate appraiser appraises a home. Look for an actual sale.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, i dont know if its frowned upon or not. But if its junk or scrap to one person, then it very well could be a cool piece or treasure to another. I have no problem with him not selling it to me, but i just dont want to lose an oppurtunity to get if if he decided to let it go for a lil money. I recon a fair way to do it would be for him to post on here that it is going to go on ebay (if he sells stuff on there) and send the link. that way anyone interested can bid up to their amount that each one thinks its worth, giving everyone a shot at it. Either way, i dont want anyone to be sore over a sale on here.
Well it looks like you have created a bidding war.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dont misunderstand me fireford, it is NOT frowned upon anymore and I have sold items myself. I was referring to the OLD TN WIIT Forum when it was owned by Marc Auston. It is no probem whatsover to buy and sell with the new owners on the WIIT Forum as far as I can tell.

The bidding war comment was in reference to HutSiteDiggers comment where he hopes he gives it to you, yet he makes an offer himself driving up the price and creating a "bidding war".

I agree with you that its a beautiful piece and it would be a shame to scrap it but then again it may have no value above melt. I really dont know. Yes putting it on eBay and let you 2 guys bid it out would be a fair way to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Any update on the relief valve? I know fireford really wanted to buy it. Did you sell it or list it on eBay?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread