🔎 UNIDENTIFIED 1800s site

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found at 1800s farm. Iron piece has a square hole at big end, unique shaped small end and several small arched star designs and possibly letters that I can't make out. Brass piece has a horizontal hole through middle which has a nail through it and bent around, also has green paint in center with letters over it that I can't make out.

20210924_162229.jpg 20210924_162036.jpg 20210924_163208.jpg 20210924_161958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
SIPridgeDIG

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found at 1800s farm. Iron piece has a square hole at big end, unique shaped small end and several small arched star designs and possibly letters that I can't make out. Brass piece has a horizontal hole through middle which has a nail through it and bent around, also has green paint in center with letters over it that I can't make out. View attachment 1984363 View attachment 1984366 View attachment 1984367 View attachment 1984362
I sure hope somebody can help me

Upvote 1

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass piece looks like the top of an Andiron , the iron piece is a brace to something that moved or vibrated as the holes are wallowed out , maybe farm equipment related?

Upvote 2
OP
OP
SIPridgeDIG

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass piece looks like the top of an Andiron , the iron piece is a brace to something that moved or vibrated as the holes are wallowed out , maybe farm equipment related?
Thanks for the info. The iron piece was found right beside a barn built in 1790

Upvote 1

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The end with the hole looks pounded. Is the small end broken? Can't tell from your pics...

Maybe some kind of masonry tool?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SIPridgeDIG

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The end with the hole looks pounded. Is the small end broken? Can't tell from your pics...

It does appear pounded. My 1st thought was something like a banana wedge to spread flanges but it's not tapered, width is uniform throughout. And the small end does not appear to be broken.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Well that does help a bit, but not much.
With the horizonal hole and the nail through it I would guess that it is a hammer head.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
SIPridgeDIG

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that does help a bit, but not much.
With the horizonal hole and the nail through it I would guess that it is a hammer head.
Do u have a link to one similar? I can't seem to find anything that looks like this

Upvote 0

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that the iron piece is from old farm machinery. It was later used as a tool to break apart something by pounding on one end with the other in the piece being broken. That's a guess from seeing lots of old farm equipment pieces and knowing how pieces laying around get used for tools. The brass piece is pretty ornate for a hammer. The flat sides suggest that it was on something that was turned by hand.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SIPridgeDIG

SIPridgeDIG

Sep 8, 2021
Mississippi USA
Detector(s) used
NM Legend/Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the iron piece is from old farm machinery. It was later used as a tool to break apart something by pounding on one end with the other in the piece being broken. That's a guess from seeing lots of old farm equipment pieces and knowing how pieces laying around get used for tools. The brass piece is pretty ornate for a hammer. The flat sides suggest that it was on something that was turned by hand.
Man that is some awesome thinking. Thank u

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread