1804 Bowed Liberty Dollar Real or replica?

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friends, I'm a complete novice with coins, and wanted to ask you for your help. This coin was inherited by a friend of mine, but belonged to his mother. He is offering it for sale to me. I doubt that is an original, but do replicas have any value? Thank you, for your time and help, they are greatly appreciated.

Arslinger IMG_7342.jpg IMG_0066.jpg

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi friends, I'm a complete novice with coins, and wanted to ask you for your help. This coin was inherited by a friend of mine, but belonged to his mother. He is offering it for sale to me. I doubt that is an original, but do replicas have any value? Thank you, for your time and help, they are greatly appreciated.

Arslinger View attachment 1942696 View attachment 1942697

Is there any writing on the rim? Sometimes replicas say so.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were real it would be worth a mint as one of the rarest....but unfortunatly this one is replicated and sold cheap. You can find them on ebay .

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very poor fake, no value at all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, Chineseum coin.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly, this is a modern counterfeit copy, otherwise you would be very rich indeed. It's probably from China where... although they also have a law requiring coin replicas to be marked... the law only applies to Chinese coins which still have legal tender status.

The big giveaway is the uneven spacing of some of the letters. Take a look at the spacing between the 'E' and 'R' of 'LIBERTY' for example. I've pictured your fake at the top with a genuine example below:

Fake Liberty.jpg

There have been a very small number of restrikes, but this isn't one of them. Neither is it a good quality replica. As such, it's not going to have value beyond its metal content, although it might actually be silver. Try a magnet as a first-step check. It it's magnetic, it's essentially worthless.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with LIBERTV (a new cable service:dontknow::laughing9:) ..... my fake 2004 Jefferson nickel made it clear that the UNITED STATES stood for "IN GOD WE IRUST"----:laughing9:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around the edges, you can see the plating flaking and rust coming through which means its a counterfeit and has no real monetary value.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for of your comments and feedback. I really appreciate everyone's knowledge and input. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread