πŸ₯‡ BANNER 1804 Dollar......No jokin' About This Token!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Hey hey diggers!
It's been a minute since I posted some finds but this one was just too good not to share!
Spent a few good hours on a site Iron Patch and I discovered last week...check his post Old Louis and George Bros. and you'll get the idea.
Our second stab produced equally as good and maybe better results in finds and quality.
In a couple of hunts the early British colonial site gave me my best finds while IPs best were from the Acadian sites only meters away in the very same field.
Best results for my efforts were two early militia buttons from our area St John's Volunteers and Island St Johns Provincials...both desirable buttons! A blowhole artillery and a WWl army insignia were found at later sites in adjacent fields on the same day.
The spinner watch fob wax seal matrix was an awesome find...super condition and a beautiful stone...orangey red...carnelian maybe? I'm showing both sides..
It's that nice !
And....the big one! 1804 dollar..five shillings Bank of England . What a first for me! Big ole silver in really nice shape.
Interesting find...theres a "JP" counterstamp on George's neck and you can make out elements of the Spanish American 8 reales these were overstruck on and the under type is visible in areas...along with a couple of plough kisses she's a beauty!
Hopefully I'll get back out again soon and have some more great finds to share with all of you!
20220425_185740.jpg
20220430_154008.jpg
20220430_154042.jpg
20220430_154116.jpg
20220430_154323.jpg
20220430_154549.jpg

Attachments

• 20220430_154611.jpg
    20220430_154611.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 98

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beautiful coin! Big congratulation! Banner!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hey diggers!
It's been a minute since I posted some finds but this one was just too good not to share!
Spent a few good hours on a site Iron Patch and I discovered last week...check his post Old Louis and George Bros. and you'll get the idea.
Our second stab produced equally as good and maybe better results in finds and quality.
In a couple of hunts the early British colonial site gave me my best finds while IPs best were from the Acadian sites only meters away in the very same field.
Best results for my efforts were two early militia buttons from our area St John's Volunteers and Island St Johns Provincials...both desirable buttons! A blowhole artillery and a WWl army insignia were found at later sites in adjacent fields on the same day.
The spinner watch fob wax seal matrix was an awesome find...super condition and a beautiful stone...orangey red...carnelian maybe? I'm showing both sides..
It's that nice !
And....the big one! 1804 dollar..five shillings Bank of England . What a first for me! Big ole silver in really nice shape.
Interesting find...theres a "JP" counterstamp on George's neck and you can make out elements of the Spanish American 8 reales these were overstruck on and the under type is visible in areas...along with a couple of plough kisses she's a beauty!
Hopefully I'll get back out again soon and have some more great finds to share with all of you! View attachment 2024009 View attachment 2024010 View attachment 2024011 View attachment 2024012 View attachment 2024013 View attachment 2024014
That would make me do a happy dance... congratulations πŸ‘

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"ironhorse", I can't say much more than hasn't already been said. Huge Congratulations on your fantastic find !!! You might be interested in what "Govmint"
has to say about your coin:
"One of the most celebrated coins in numismatics in the U.S. Mint's 1804 Silver Dollar. Only a few of these specially minted coins exist, and when one appears at auction, the hammer price easily exceeds several million dollars. But, few collectors realize there's another Silver Dollar size coin struck in 1804 which in itself is quite scarce and sought after by collectors around the world. This big silver coin was struck by the Bank of England. It shows a classic early 19th century design featuring a portrait of Britain's George III, the king who lost the colonies in our American Revolution. The reverse displays Britannia, seated on a rock at the shore, protecting Great Britain. Each is struck in 90% silver, just like its American cousin and contains 26.41 grams of the precious metal. Because of the history and mystique of these coins, they're seldom available. And, when they do appear, they are snapped up by eager collectors. The date 1804 itself is also of profound significance to collectors: Thomas Jefferson became president, Napoleon Bonaparte was proclaimed Emperor and Lewis and Clark started their trek of discovery in the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase. We've located a superb example of this scarce coin, graded by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC). It grades Mint State-65 (MS65) Hurry to secure this coin, it will be gone fast."
LINK:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there is a great hit... not a common find for sure... and the condition is great.

Well done and then some.

And PS... those buttons aren't too shabby either ... also not common ... great day for sure.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very nice finds - good buttons.
Probably Carnelian Seal.
Then a chunk of silver I'll probably never see.
During this emergency issue, the closest I have come is a counterfeit Dollar (one with a counter-stamped Geo head on the neck) & a 1811 3 Shilling Token. That 1804 had many varieties, so worth getting someone qualified to work out which one it is. Although most varieties hoover around the same price other than those that you can see 8-Reale which command a higher price.

Big Congrats & like you're sort of saying, I would be back in a shot or taking time off work to do it!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Thank you
If anyone would recall seeing one these posted before you might.
Then again it's hard to remember all the great treasure we see posted everyday!
Now there is a great hit... not a common find for sure.. condition is great.

Well done and then some.

And PS... those buttons aren't too shabby either ... also not common ... great day for sure.

Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
All very nice finds - good buttons.
Probably Carnelian Seal.
Then a chunk of silver I'll probably never see.
During this emergency issue, the closest I have come is a counterfeit Dollar (one with a counter-stamped Geo head on the neck) & a 1811 3 Shilling Token. That 1804 had many varieties, so worth getting someone qualified to work out which one it is. Although most varieties hoover around the same price other than those that you can see 8-Reale which command a higher price.

Big Congrats & like you're sort of saying, I would be back in a shot or taking time off work to do it!
It is an uncommon find I'm sure here in North America and in the UK as well no doubt.
I will be looking closer at it in the future to determine if there is a variety attached to this one .
Thank you for your feedback

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an uncommon find I'm sure here in North America and in the UK as well no doubt.
I will be looking closer at it in the future to determine if there is a variety attached to this one .
Thank you for your feedback
DSC08982.JPG

Not sure if these helps, I couldn't work out which, maybe you can. The book Prices are 2020. (so a little out of date)

PS. Uncommon find anywhere in the world.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
my thanks goes out to the rest of the posters who have supported this thread....I'm not forgetting anyone I hope!
Digger RJ, Florida Finder, E Trac Ohio, cannonball, jewelryguy, MD Ghost, lenrac,Aureus, grimgow, coinstar magnet, vpnavy, and Jose the Goon for the write up
Awesome guys !

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible hunt...congrats sir πŸ‘

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow good job!! πŸ‘πŸΌ That signal must have blown your headphones off!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Wow good job!! πŸ‘πŸΌ That signal must have blown your headphones off!
Funny thing about the signal...it started iffy but once I had a shovelful of dirt off the top of it ,it rang in great...a banging signal but I didnt expect the result...that was shocking in a very good way!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny thing about the signal...it started iffy but once I had a shovelful of dirt off the top of it ,it rang in great...a banging signal but I didnt expect the result...that was shocking in a very good way!
I know that feeling I have found three exceptionally great condition 8 Reale and you never forget that feeling it’s just a greatest feeling HUGE SILVER RUSH!!! I remember on one all I could say is I did it, I did it, I did it!!!!!! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread