🥇 BANNER 1804 Dollar......No jokin' About This Token!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Hey hey diggers!
It's been a minute since I posted some finds but this one was just too good not to share!
Spent a few good hours on a site Iron Patch and I discovered last week...check his post Old Louis and George Bros. and you'll get the idea.
Our second stab produced equally as good and maybe better results in finds and quality.
In a couple of hunts the early British colonial site gave me my best finds while IPs best were from the Acadian sites only meters away in the very same field.
Best results for my efforts were two early militia buttons from our area St John's Volunteers and Island St Johns Provincials...both desirable buttons! A blowhole artillery and a WWl army insignia were found at later sites in adjacent fields on the same day.
The spinner watch fob wax seal matrix was an awesome find...super condition and a beautiful stone...orangey red...carnelian maybe? I'm showing both sides..
It's that nice !
And....the big one! 1804 dollar..five shillings Bank of England . What a first for me! Big ole silver in really nice shape.
Interesting find...theres a "JP" counterstamp on George's neck and you can make out elements of the Spanish American 8 reales these were overstruck on and the under type is visible in areas...along with a couple of plough kisses she's a beauty!
Hopefully I'll get back out again soon and have some more great finds to share with all of you!
20220425_185740.jpg
20220430_154008.jpg
20220430_154042.jpg
20220430_154116.jpg
20220430_154323.jpg
20220430_154549.jpg

Attachments

• 20220430_154611.jpg
    20220430_154611.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 98

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hey diggers!
It's been a minute since I posted some finds but this one was just too good not to share!
Spent a few good hours on a site Iron Patch and I discovered last week...check his post Old Louis and George Bros. and you'll get the idea.
Our second stab produced equally as good and maybe better results in finds and quality.
In a couple of hunts the early British colonial site gave me my best finds while IPs best were from the Acadian sites only meters away in the very same field.
Best results for my efforts were two early militia buttons from our area St John's Volunteers and Island St Johns Provincials...both desirable buttons! A blowhole artillery and a WWl army insignia were found at later sites in adjacent fields on the same day.
The spinner watch fob wax seal matrix was an awesome find...super condition and a beautiful stone...orangey red...carnelian maybe? I'm showing both sides..
It's that nice !
And....the big one! 1804 dollar..five shillings Bank of England . What a first for me! Big ole silver in really nice shape.
Interesting find...theres a "JP" counterstamp on George's neck and you can make out elements of the Spanish American 8 reales these were overstruck on and the under type is visible in areas...along with a couple of plough kisses she's a beauty!
Hopefully I'll get back out again soon and have some more great finds to share with all of you! View attachment 2024009 View attachment 2024010 View attachment 2024011 View attachment 2024012 View attachment 2024013 View attachment 2024014
Great Bank Token!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
View attachment 2024118
Not sure if these helps, I couldn't work out which, maybe you can. The book Prices are 2020. (so a little out of date)

PS. Uncommon find anywhere in the world.
So I took a closer look just now and it's the more common variety...top leaf left etc...upright k.. which I suspected
Still good to know and I thank you for that little extra info that I didnt know about...I learned something today!
On the other side of the coin so to speak lol...my searches on the c/s have come up dry so it will remain a maverick until more info comes to light.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey hey diggers!
It's that nice !
Hopefully I'll get back out again soon and have some more great finds to share with all of you! View attachment 2024009 View attachment 2024010 View attachment 2024011 View attachment 2024012 View attachment 2024013 View attachment 2024014
wow, such great finds and that big old silver dollar, she is a beauty. well done and thanks for posting

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I know that feeling I have found three exceptionally great condition 8 Reale and you never forget that feeling it’s just a greatest feeling HUGE SILVER RUSH!!! I remember on one all I could say is I did it, I did it, I did it!!!!!! Lol
You said it brother...huge silver rush...its the largest silver coin I've ever dug so yeah the feeling does take a hold of you....thanks for the shivers down my spine!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. I have been away for a bit, but it seems your sites and finds are still quality just like I remember. Congrats.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping this one would make banner, I'm not sure we will see another one as nice & the counterstamp adds interest....

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I was hoping this one would make banner, I'm not sure we will see another one as nice & the counterstamp adds interest....
I considered this a once ina lifetime find....equivalent to finding a Roman gold coin or something impressive like that...you know what I mean.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
The banners have been coming a bit slow of late but I have no doubt one has to be coming for this coin. Happy to add my vote to the pile IH.

Dig

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hey diggers!
It's that nice !
Wow!! What a coin to say the least!!! Congrats!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I took a closer look just now and it's the more common variety...top leaf left etc...upright k.. which I suspected
Still good to know and I thank you for that little extra info that I didnt know about...I learned something today!
On the other side of the coin so to speak lol...my searches on the c/s have come up dry so it will remain a maverick until more info comes to light.
I'm thinking banner...

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
many thanks to the recent posters...some posts read like a little novel so you guys have a little more to read now lol
that coin spent two centuries under dirt waiting for me to come along a pick it up...I like to think I can stick it in there a bit longer ...I'm sure not in a rush

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread