πŸ₯‡ BANNER 1804 Dollar......No jokin' About This Token!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Hey hey diggers!
It's been a minute since I posted some finds but this one was just too good not to share!
Spent a few good hours on a site Iron Patch and I discovered last week...check his post Old Louis and George Bros. and you'll get the idea.
Our second stab produced equally as good and maybe better results in finds and quality.
In a couple of hunts the early British colonial site gave me my best finds while IPs best were from the Acadian sites only meters away in the very same field.
Best results for my efforts were two early militia buttons from our area St John's Volunteers and Island St Johns Provincials...both desirable buttons! A blowhole artillery and a WWl army insignia were found at later sites in adjacent fields on the same day.
The spinner watch fob wax seal matrix was an awesome find...super condition and a beautiful stone...orangey red...carnelian maybe? I'm showing both sides..
It's that nice !
And....the big one! 1804 dollar..five shillings Bank of England . What a first for me! Big ole silver in really nice shape.
Interesting find...theres a "JP" counterstamp on George's neck and you can make out elements of the Spanish American 8 reales these were overstruck on and the under type is visible in areas...along with a couple of plough kisses she's a beauty!
Hopefully I'll get back out again soon and have some more great finds to share with all of you!
20220425_185740.jpg
20220430_154008.jpg
20220430_154042.jpg
20220430_154116.jpg
20220430_154323.jpg
20220430_154549.jpg

Attachments

• 20220430_154611.jpg
    20220430_154611.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 98

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope this post gets a banner next; my vote is already in. I think 18th and early 19th century British silver coins are rare finds here in the states. I occasionally see KGIII coins, but they are coppers. I have seen Spanish 8-reales get a banner, and deservedly so. This coin is equally worthy, or more so, in my opinion. A large and glorious silver piece most will never dig. Good luck!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
I hope this post gets a banner next; my vote is already in. I think 18th and early 19th century British silver coins are rare finds here in the states. I occasionally see KGIII coins, but they are coppers. I have seen Spanish 8-reales get a banner, and deservedly so. This coin is equally worthy, or more so, in my opinion. A large and glorious silver piece most will never dig. Good luck!
I like that..." large and glorious " ..my thoughts exactly!
Thanks lenmac

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That wax seal is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen! 😳
Congrats on the Bank of England 1804 Five Shillings Dollar too.
Dave

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
That wax seal is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen! 😳
Congrats on the Bank of England 1804 Five Shillings Dollar too.
Dave
Of the many fobs I have, this is by far the nicest one I've found.
We only get to see a few every year posted here so we shall cherish the ones we get to see!
Thank you Dave

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Screenshot_20220514-191646_Google.jpg

I was just looking around some other bank tokens from BofE and saw this one...an 1813 1 shilling and 6 pence and the counter mark is the same as my 5 shillings...the "JP" mark must have been used on different denominations of coins in that time period...a step closer in the right direction for an attribution on this this c/s

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2026695
I was just looking around some other bank tokens from BofE and saw this one...an 1813 1 shilling and 6 pence and the counter mark is the same as my 5 shillings...the "JP" mark must have been used on different denominations of coins in that time period...a step closer in the right direction for an attribution on this this c/s
I think it's something to do with a silver smith 'JP' testing and proving that its silver, as its an unusual coin to see in circulation. I know they did the same with blank silver coins so people could still use there weight in silver even when the coin had no identifying features.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
I think it's something to do with a silver smith 'JP' testing and proving that its silver, as its an unusual coin to see in circulation. I know the did the same with blank silver coins so people could still use there weight in silver even when the coin had no identifying features.
well that is interesting....
I think it's something to do with a silver smith 'JP' testing and proving that its silver, as its an unusual coin to see in circulation. I know the did the same with blank silver coins so people could still use there weight in silver even when the coin had no identifying features.
well that is interesting!
I had another find from the site that I discovered days later when I went through my 'scraps'. I initially thought it was a damaged button in the field but found out it was a silver piece! It appeared to have marks punched into it and also a distinctive 'W' mark as well. ( I have another from a different site with the 'W' I found years ago)
It is merely a flake of silver weighing just over a gram. I often wondered if silversmiths were creating money out of necessity for the open market...perhaps they did to a degree.
This would give a plausible explanation to this curious piece I have.
Great info...thanks

Attachments

• 20220515_111403.jpg
    20220515_111403.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220515_110446.jpg
    20220515_110446.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220515_110359.jpg
    20220515_110359.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 59

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey hey diggers!
It's been a minute since I posted some finds but this one was just too good not to share!
Spent a few good hours on a site Iron Patch and I discovered last week...check his post Old Louis and George Bros. and you'll get the idea.
Our second stab produced equally as good and maybe better results in finds and quality.
In a couple of hunts the early British colonial site gave me my best finds while IPs best were from the Acadian sites only meters away in the very same field.
Best results for my efforts were two early militia buttons from our area St John's Volunteers and Island St Johns Provincials...both desirable buttons! A blowhole artillery and a WWl army insignia were found at later sites in adjacent fields on the same day.
The spinner watch fob wax seal matrix was an awesome find...super condition and a beautiful stone...orangey red...carnelian maybe? I'm showing both sides..
It's that nice !
And....the big one! 1804 dollar..five shillings Bank of England . What a first for me! Big ole silver in really nice shape.
Interesting find...theres a "JP" counterstamp on George's neck and you can make out elements of the Spanish American 8 reales these were overstruck on and the under type is visible in areas...along with a couple of plough kisses she's a beauty!
Hopefully I'll get back out again soon and have some more great finds to share with all of you! View attachment 2024009 View attachment 2024010 View attachment 2024011 View attachment 2024012 View attachment 2024013 View attachment 2024014
Holy banner batman!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well that is interesting....

well that is interesting!
I had another find from the site that I discovered days later when I went through my 'scraps'. I initially thought it was a damaged button in the field but found out it was a silver piece! It appeared to have marks punched into it and also a distinctive 'W' mark as well. ( I have another from a different site with the 'W' I found years ago)
It is merely a flake of silver weighing just over a gram. I often wondered if silversmiths were creating money out of necessity for the open market...perhaps they did to a degree.
This would give a plausible explanation to this curious piece I have.
Great info...thanks
Pretty sure you have a blank coin (not sure what denomination or Country it came from, might be British) like mine that are mostly sixpences (at one point);
Note that some have official Silver Smith Makers Marks (in cartouche's) & others less official counterstamps like your JP.
1.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Pretty sure you have a blank coin (not sure what denomination or Country it came from, might be British) like mine that are mostly sixpences (at one point);
Note that some have official Silver Smith Makers Marks (in cartouche's) & others less official counterstamps like your JP. View attachment 2026932
Excellent collection!
I know I'll look at those in a different light when they pop up next time.
Very hard to attribute but interesting just the same.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent collection!
I know I'll look at those in a different light when they pop up next time.
Very hard to attribute but interesting just the same.
Nearly impossible to attribute.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Hey hey diggers!
....my jaw just dropped a minute ago...
I open up ole Tnet and I'm a new 'golden thread'.....promoted from silver to gold ain't bad.
My many thanks to the thread supporters and all the ones who gave a thumbs up!
These opportunities are seldom and the finds have be of a certain calibre to be considered for this honour, and for this I am grateful having had the honour of sharing it with you.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it's time but finally the banner you deserve.:icon_thumright:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find thanks for sharing

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finally getting it up there.
That other counterstamped piece is interesting as well.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a fantastic hunt.....I keep looking through your finds, and one could argue for multiple banners in one hunt....great work ironhorse....congrats !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread