1806 Heraldic Eagle Draped Bust 25 C

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went in the woods with a friend hunting yesterday. He went one way.. but I had to pee so I went the other way.

I found an 1918 wheat, then another 1918 wheat.. and then a large flat button so I stayed in that area.

I saw a rock- and thought to myself- "I can imagine someone sitting on that"...so I walked over to it scanning.

Right next to the rock is where I found this.

It is my oldest silver, my oldest U.S. coin, my oldest quarter, and probably my rarest coin if I had to guess (no idea on old British coppers, but they are always rotted anyway)

Made my day!! IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1134.JPG

Upvote 76

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
value from a 2010 red book shows150.00 to 400.00
That's tad back, as the values of coinage has seen an upswing in these past few years again.
Little snippet on these quarters-seems that they really weren't that popular.

"Produced in limited numbers and erratically during the earliest years of U.S. Mint operations, the quarter was not a popular denomination with contemporary silver bullion depositors. Such coins were produced at the request of depositors during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, and those dealing in silver bullion much preferred half dollars and silver dollars over quarters. Even so, calendar year 1806 saw the Mint deliver an unusually large number of quarters for the era -- 206,124"

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrulagions on a terrific find. Banner worthy in my opinion. I hope you get enough votes. Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
PowerDubs

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The US mint had only been open a dozen years when they made that. I'd guess most of the founding fathers were still alive. Amazing.

I tried to express to my family and friends just how old that is by saying- it is possible someones fathers, fathers, fathers, fathers, fathers, fathers, fathers father dropped it.

Maybe more even- as that is 25 years for a generation and people may have married and had kids younger back then.

Blows my mind when thought of in that way. I'm going to try to get back to that spot. :)

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went in the woods with a friend hunting yesterday. He went one way.. but I had to pee so I went the other way.

I found an 1918 wheat, then another 1918 wheat.. and then a large flat button so I stayed in that area.

I saw a rock- and thought to myself- "I can imagine someone sitting on that"...so I walked over to it scanning.

It is my oldest silver, my oldest U.S. coin, my oldest quarter, and probably my rarest coin if I had to guess (no idea on old British coppers, but they are always rotted anyway)

Made my day!! View attachment 1988268 View attachment 1988269
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wow, what a great find. Big time gratz!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that coin! My buddy found an 1807 Draped Bust quarter, and I have found two Draped Bust dimes. Any Draped Bust silver is very hard to find. Congratulation. I feel like that is a banner find.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful recovery Voting Banner

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What a beauty! Congratulations!!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Wow great coin big congrats on that one.

Jer

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! That's the first I've seen posted.
Early U.S. silver is high on my list. I just found an 1838 half-dime and that's my earliest to date and that's not early enough. Your coin is great!

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jealous of you guys that live in the North East and have more opportunity for the really old U.S. Silver.

Nice coin!

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

Welcome to the Draped Bust Silver club!!!......what a find and I am just drooling over the greenish gray patina that only a 200+ year old silver coin can bring......enjoy it, stare at it, drool on it ......it may never happen again!

HH all!

Greg

STGHunter

Feb 16, 2020
St. George, UT
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite US coins are 25¢ pieces. I would be getting that one graded, and framed. 🤤🤤😁

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread