1809 Spanish One Reale - 1st hunt with NOX 800! 213 year old coin found!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I finally got out with my new Minelab Equinox 800 today on a brand new permission. I had two misfires before even starting the hunt. I forgot the new probe that came with the detector and I could not remember how to sync the machine to wireless headphones and my 4 index cards had insufficient info for that one issue. This was the very first time I turned the machine ON, and I made all the settings from my queue cards after watching many setup videos on Youtube. Since I used the Explorer II going back over 10 years - I wanted to prove to myself just how easy this machine was to operate.

Well I was on an 1890 farm with 20 some acres. So I decided to hunt high value targets.
The first hole I dug - I gave up on finding whatever was setting off my machine so nicely and without my probe, I thought that it was best to move on.

The very next target I dug was clear silver signal on NOX and showing 9" deep. So i dug, and I dug, and I dug and my gator digger was all the way in the hole.
And I pulled out some more soil and had to rescan the pile of dirt and then I finally saw the coin. At first I thought oh a barber dime but as I wiped off the dirt, I was blown away to see the two pillars and crown above them! I thought no way! The very first target that I dug and retrieved with the NOX was a 1809 Spanish One Reale! I was beyond happy and just flat out blown away! This is the first Reale that I've dug in a long time!

The very next coin I dug was a 1937 silver Mercury dime. It was at an amazing depth and I thought I better get some pictures of this in the hole. I dug two pieces of trash and left the rest in the ground without digging.

This was pretty good for a two hour hunt. I never used machine at my house, I was minus my probe, and minus the headphones which was no big deal.
Where I was hunting was hunted by family members but these coins were 9" or deeper. So for a break-in hunt with the Minelab Equinox 800 - I was thrilled and amazed at how far they had come since they made my EX II.
If today's hunt was any indication, I may be on to another 1800's honey hole of silver and cooper coins. I am totally psyched about this machine and thankful I can hunt again with a lighter machine from Minelab!

B1883.jpg

Attachments

• B1884.jpg
    B1884.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 119
  • B1887.jpg
    B1887.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 113
  • B1888.jpg
    B1888.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 160
  • B1890.jpg
    B1890.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 166
  • B1891.jpg
    B1891.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 159
  • B1892.jpg
    B1892.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 148
  • B1893.jpg
    B1893.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 38
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting from a historical perspective as Ferdinand VII was already deposed from the throne since May 1808 - at least seven months before this coin was likely minted.
Excellent recovery! One of the more interesting coins I have seen posted in a while given the context of the times it was made.
thanks for the very interesting background history on this coin. I'm still flying high as a kite given the whole scenario of this find!. I noticed the date on coin was a little weak from Mexico Mint but rest of coin was pretty picture perfect. Thanks again! HH!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Headphones update: well Minelab is replacing my wireless headphones. Mike and John at Detector Center in Pa gave me
excellent service (Minelab's detector repair and replacement
center for my region of country).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread