1809 Spanish One Reale - 1st hunt with NOX 800! 213 year old coin found!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I finally got out with my new Minelab Equinox 800 today on a brand new permission. I had two misfires before even starting the hunt. I forgot the new probe that came with the detector and I could not remember how to sync the machine to wireless headphones and my 4 index cards had insufficient info for that one issue. This was the very first time I turned the machine ON, and I made all the settings from my queue cards after watching many setup videos on Youtube. Since I used the Explorer II going back over 10 years - I wanted to prove to myself just how easy this machine was to operate.

Well I was on an 1890 farm with 20 some acres. So I decided to hunt high value targets.
The first hole I dug - I gave up on finding whatever was setting off my machine so nicely and without my probe, I thought that it was best to move on.

The very next target I dug was clear silver signal on NOX and showing 9" deep. So i dug, and I dug, and I dug and my gator digger was all the way in the hole.
And I pulled out some more soil and had to rescan the pile of dirt and then I finally saw the coin. At first I thought oh a barber dime but as I wiped off the dirt, I was blown away to see the two pillars and crown above them! I thought no way! The very first target that I dug and retrieved with the NOX was a 1809 Spanish One Reale! I was beyond happy and just flat out blown away! This is the first Reale that I've dug in a long time!

The very next coin I dug was a 1937 silver Mercury dime. It was at an amazing depth and I thought I better get some pictures of this in the hole. I dug two pieces of trash and left the rest in the ground without digging.

This was pretty good for a two hour hunt. I never used machine at my house, I was minus my probe, and minus the headphones which was no big deal.
Where I was hunting was hunted by family members but these coins were 9" or deeper. So for a break-in hunt with the Minelab Equinox 800 - I was thrilled and amazed at how far they had come since they made my EX II.
If today's hunt was any indication, I may be on to another 1800's honey hole of silver and cooper coins. I am totally psyched about this machine and thankful I can hunt again with a lighter machine from Minelab!

B1883.jpg

Attachments

• B1893.jpg
    B1893.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 115
  • B1892.jpg
    B1892.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 148
  • B1891.jpg
    B1891.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 159
  • B1890.jpg
    B1890.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 166
  • B1888.jpg
    B1888.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 160
  • B1887.jpg
    B1887.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 113
  • B1884.jpg
    B1884.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Upvote 38
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt!! That sure is a nice looking Reale!!!
Thanks! Here is close up of coins before I washed dirt off. I was so blown away by the Reale that did not take photos in hole or on top of the huge pile of dirt. And I had planned to start taking videos with a GoPro but that's still sitting in original box. But you can see the coin as I found it here before cleaning. It's been a rough 1.5 years since my terminal diagnosis but I finally got the right equipment I could use and a stellar place to hunt. I know some will read this and say to themselves 'NFW' but I am as happy as I can be right now, and all that doesn't matter to me where I currently sit. I guess some good karma is coming my way and I feel very blessed! Either I'm one hell of a hunter, one lucky hunter, or have one hell of a psychic sense for finding good coins. Maybe all three. I wrote about that somewhere on this site in a blog long ago. I do believe that gives you a definite edge but in the final analysis all good things come to us from the Big Guy in the Sky. HH!
B1888_2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I make a suggestion go with the pre-set programs first till you get use to the detector.
Nice finds
thanks! Yes, I went with pre-set program Park1 but there were 14 initial setup settings that I needed to look at and fine tune where necessary. So I wrote them on index cards and will carry when I go out detecting. Among them are ones I always do before I start detecting - Noise cancel, ground balance, volume adjust, and I always use audible Threshold which had to be adjusted up. The Frequency was not set to multi-frequency but was changed to that before I started. Target tones was 50 and I set to 5. I really don't want 50 tones to memorize. Everything else was left as is on pre-set program. Given the depth I was getting, I was quite pleased. I will stick with pre-set programs but I needed to document basic usage buttons including factory reset of all modes along with using Black coil button on any single mode to just reset that mode. I like this detector. It's much easier than EX II to learn. Thank you for suggestion!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the really nice looking silvers.
Learning a new machine can be rewarding.
Best of luck working through the pairing up.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking real. I'm glad you are enjoying the nox. I had the same luck as you. My first silver with it was a 44 walker half at 9 inches. Good on you for sticking with it not having a pinpointer. That's not easy. I encourage you to use 50 tones. Once you get used to it you won't rely on the vdi as much. High tones sound so good when they don't all sound the same.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your phones come with a wire so you can run them without wireless or pairing, always carry that wire with you. I had forgotten to turn my phones off and next time out the battery was dead, just plugged them in and back to hunting. Sweet reale!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocean NICE GOING 111 thanks for sharing

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I finally got out with my new Minelab Equinox 800 today on a brand new permission. I had two misfires before even starting the hunt. I forgot the new probe that came with the detector and I could not remember how to sync the machine to wireless headphones and my 4 index cards had insufficient info for that one issue. This was the very first time I turned the machine ON, and I made all the settings from my queue cards after watching many setup videos on Youtube. Since I used the Explorer II going back over 10 years - I wanted to prove to myself just how easy this machine was to operate.

Well I was on an 1890 farm with 20 some acres. So I decided to hunt high value targets.
The first hole I dug - I gave up on finding whatever was setting off my machine so nicely and without my probe, I thought that it was best to move on.

The very next target I dug was clear silver signal on NOX and showing 9" deep. So i dug, and I dug, and I dug and my gator digger was all the way in the hole.
And I pulled out some more soil and had to rescan the pile of dirt and then I finally saw the coin. At first I thought oh a barber dime but as I wiped off the dirt, I was blown away to see the two pillars and crown above them! I thought no way! The very first target that I dug and retrieved with the NOX was a 1809 Spanish One Reale! I was beyond happy and just flat out blown away! This is the first Reale that I've dug in a long time!

The very next coin I dug was a 1937 silver Mercury dime. It was at an amazing depth and I thought I better get some pictures of this in the hole. I dug two pieces of trash and left the rest in the ground without digging.

This was pretty good for a two hour hunt. I never used machine at my house, I was minus my probe, and minus the headphones which was no big deal.
Where I was hunting was hunted by family members but these coins were 9" or deeper. So for a break-in hunt with the Minelab Equinox 800 - I was thrilled and amazed at how far they had come since they made my EX II.
If today's hunt was any indication, I may be on to another 1800's honey hole of silver and cooper coins. I am totally psyched about this machine and thankful I can hunt again with a lighter machine from Minelab!

View attachment 2047955
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I encourage you to use 50 tones. Once you get used to it you won't rely on the vdi as much. High tones sound so good when they don't all sound the same.
thanks! I'll definitely give that a try. Walking half is a great find too!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your phones come with a wire so you can run them without wireless or pairing, always carry that wire with you. I had forgotten to turn my phones off and next time out the battery was dead, just plugged them in and back to hunting. Sweet reale!!
yeah I forgot about that as new to the machine. It appears these are not charging. I get three red lights when connected to charger and then it quickly shows no lights on. I think I was fooled by that on original charge - came back no red lights, assume charged. Either that or I did not turn off headphone button for 4 seconds and they just discharged completely before I got out to use machine. Thanks for the tip - will come in handy I'm sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done on the really nice looking silvers.
Learning a new machine can be rewarding.
Best of luck working through the pairing up.
well it looks like these wireless headphones will not take a charge. The hard-wired option works fine. The charging not so much. The three red charging lights come on when I try to charge and then quickly all go out. But pushing MFB on headphones shows no flashing light. So unless I'm missing something, they have to go back for a replacement. Ah ya can't have everything! L

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting from a historical perspective as Ferdinand VII was already deposed from the throne since May 1808 - at least seven months before this coin was likely minted.

I can only imagine his portrait being on a coin minted in 1809 being a result of the Mexico mint being unaware of the events back in their mother country due to the communication delay of the era. Truth is Napoleon's older brother Joseph was defacto king of Spain since May of 1808. So it should really be Joe Napoleon's portrait on that coin. Here is one produced by the Madrid mint the same year as yours:
s-l500.jpg

I wonder if the Mexico mint (or any other Spanish colonial mint) ever produced Reales featuring Joe Napoleon's portrait. I remember Napoleon Bonaparte had a huge problem with Spain, he called it his "Festering Sore" during nearly the whole Napoleonic wars. Maybe since Spain was so unstable under Napoleon the Spanish Colonial mints never formally recognized the regime, though it's quite unbelievable that no soldiers sent by Napoleon would enforce the new laws on the Spanish colonial empire given all the years they had the opportunity to do so.

Excellent recovery! One of the more interesting coins I have seen posted in a while given the context of the times it was made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread