1822 Matron, Decorative Copper, 3 Buckles, 3 Horseshoes, 2 Hatchet Heads, and 4 Endangered Box Turtles (plus more)

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a mix and to be expected from former farm homesteads that probably operated for over 200 years. I rebury all of my big iron stuff after photographing it. I do grab some of the longest hand-forged narrow iron spikes, rose heads can be works of art. Someday I plan to catalog all of my horseshoe, ox shoe, and mule shoe finds which have to be closing in on 50 total. Hopefully, finding them is good luck!

With the weather changing into cooler nights the turtles and snakes are on the move. As my area undergoes development, both of these species have taken a huge hit. So as someone who looks closely at woods which people do not ordinarily venture into (remoteness and tick phobias), I appraise nature enthusiasts of what I am seeing and when. Plus I register my migratory waterfowl bands. I am the eyes and ears to watch out for lumber theft, dumping, and illegal hunting.

Out of interest I included shots of a dead buck which has decomposed over the past year. Interesting to see the one green plant may have been transported by seeds in the deer gut. I see quite a few dead deer every year. I usually scan them to find either the bullet or arrow which fell them. Sometimes they are wounded car hits. This one was hit in the spine by an arrow. It's sad they were not bagged but they do support the local food chain of scavengers.

It reminds me that next month I have to start wearing my orange clothing.

Attachments

• tres297.jpg
    tres297.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 98
  • tres298.jpg
    tres298.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 46
  • tres299.jpg
    tres299.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 48
  • tres300.jpg
    tres300.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 42
  • tres301.jpg
    tres301.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • tres302.jpg
    tres302.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • tres303.jpg
    tres303.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • tres304.jpg
    tres304.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • tres305.jpg
    tres305.jpg
    947.9 KB · Views: 44
  • tres306.jpg
    tres306.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 39
  • tres307.jpg
    tres307.jpg
    876.5 KB · Views: 39
  • tres308.jpg
    tres308.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 45
  • tres309.jpg
    tres309.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 50
  • dead deer2.jpg
    dead deer2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • dead deer1.jpg
    dead deer1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
Upvote 13

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite a mix and to be expected from former farm homesteads that probably operated for over 200 years. I rebury all of my big iron stuff after photographing it. I do grab some of the longest hand-forged narrow iron spikes, rose heads can be works of art. Someday I plan to catalog all of my horseshoe, ox shoe, and mule shoe finds which have to be closing in on 50 total. Hopefully, finding them is good luck!

With the weather changing into cooler nights the turtles and snakes are on the move. As my area undergoes development, both of these species have taken a huge hit. So as someone who looks closely at woods which people do not ordinarily venture into (remoteness and tick phobias), I appraise nature enthusiasts of what I am seeing and when. Plus I register my migratory waterfowl bands. I am the eyes and ears to watch out for lumber theft, dumping, and illegal hunting.

Out of interest I included shots of a dead buck which has decomposed over the past year. Interesting to see the one green plant may have been transported by seeds in the deer gut. I see quite a few dead deer every year. I usually scan them to find either the bullet or arrow which fell them. Sometimes they are wounded car hits. This one was hit in the spine by an arrow. It's sad they were not bagged but they do support the local food chain of scavengers.

THREE thumbs-up for the lot...!
Wanna trade

Fine stuff, there...!
Wanna trade that mis-shapen penny for an ANCIENT Lincoln Memorial Cent...?! :laughing7:
(actually, I give most anything for a Large Cent - we see so few emerge for our western sites...!)
You seem to have all the History! Lucky!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Your 'decorative copper' piece with the rivet at the head is that horsetack of some sort? I dug something similar in Virginia at an 1850s site and did not know what it was..mine has grapes and vines on it. Nice finds btw!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep the deer for yourself. Fell free. Nice assortment of stuff and I like turtles. All the deer here are getting rotten spoiled. They hang out 10 feet from my cars, and stop traffic so the folks can admire them.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a neat photo of the deer skeleton with the vine growing through it. Ya gotta be carefull about posting dead deer photos, I did a few years ago and got yelled at by a member on this site. Also great finds on the box turtles. I've only seen one in all my years out in the woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread