1828 Silver Half Dollar- definitely my find of the day, perhaps year, probably ever!

Lauren of the Rings

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2022
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did a little digging today and I was having fun- found an old plow head, a horse buckle, and a little piece of a heel plate. Nice relics. Then I started following an old stone wall up the hill and I got excited for a minute because I thought I was coming up on a cellar hole. It wasn’t. But, it was an old road. And right the top of the hill, at an opening in the stone wall I dug this 1828 silver half dollar!!!! It wasn’t more than an inch or two down. Crazy, right? It was so exciting! I’m home now and still just floored by this find. The hills of Vermont have little treasures hidden all over.

Attachments

• 5554D91A-AB50-466E-8035-355F8A5DD7F5.jpeg
    5554D91A-AB50-466E-8035-355F8A5DD7F5.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 374
  • 3B0E0D78-055F-4491-9A09-BCF46482C852.jpeg
    3B0E0D78-055F-4491-9A09-BCF46482C852.jpeg
    532 KB · Views: 303
Upvote 56

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a little digging today and I was having fun- found an old plow head, a horse buckle, and a little piece of a heel plate. Nice relics. Then I started following an old stone wall up the hill and I got excited for a minute because I thought I was coming up on a cellar hole. It wasn’t. But, it was an old road. And right the top of the hill, at an opening in the stone wall I dug this 1828 silver half dollar!!!! It wasn’t more than an inch or two down. Crazy, right? It was so exciting! I’m home now and still just floored by this find. The hills of Vermont have little treasures hidden all over.
Beauty!

mangoman

Greenie
Sep 9, 2022
Well done! Enjoy 😊

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hunted today for about 1/2 to 1 hour before i got a call from a friend that wanted my help/ I found like a copper round cutoff . No sharp edges . i thought i could see writing on the edge. No sharp edges what so ever . i also found some type of Medallion or some type of Jewelry I gave everything i found to the property owner
IMG-0243.jpg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This place is no longer there but We did detect some of the land around ikt. I think it wasbuilt arouind 1916 or 1917

Cox-Mansion - 1.jpg

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And right the top of the hill, at an opening in the stone wall I dug this 1828 silver half dollar!!!! It wasn’t more than an inch or two down. Crazy, right? It was so exciting! I’m home now and still just floored by this find. The hills of Vermont have little treasures hidden all over.
wonderful find! Some folks used to place a coin under a large flat stone that was used to enter their house and the coin was normally the year the house was built. I wonder if this is how that coin got there? Ya just never know but why we love this hobby when you can find these kind of things! Great job! HH!

Jtim

Greenie
Sep 22, 2022
Wow! Thats a great find. Congratulations

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i hunted today for about 1/2 to 1 hour before i got a call from a friend that wanted my help/ I found like a copper round cutoff . No sharp edges . i thought i could see writing on the edge. No sharp edges what so ever . i also found some type of Medallion or some type of Jewelry I gave everything i found to the property owner View attachment 2047949
Nice that you got out Gare.
But really you should start your own post and not be piggy backing on other folks.
Just saying-a little respect to the OP and their thread.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that would make anyone one smile digging that beauty.
Congrats on the top self recovery!:occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding Find!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread