1841 bell identification?

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
I've been reading here for a while and thought maybe someone here could tell me something about this bell.
It's 8.5" across the bottom, 4.5" across the top, 6.5" high to the shoulder, and about 1/4" thick. I think it may be bronze.
The design on one side is badly worn, so I put some baby powder in it to try to bring out some extra detail.
There is no name, or other marking, on the bell.
It has a wonderful tone that lasts a LONG time.
I've been looking for info for a few years, but these are the first pictures I've been able to get that actually showed any kind of detail. Hope they show up.

Attachments

• bell1.jpg
    bell1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,846
  • bell3.jpg
    bell3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,063
  • bell6.jpg
    bell6.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,760
  • bell4.jpg
    bell4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,893
  • bell5.jpg
    bell5.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2,770
OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
A bit late reading the newest replies. I never did find any info on the bell. It was stolen a couple or three years ago. One of my nephews, on my wife's side, stayed with us for a while. After he left, I couldn't find the bell anymore. That bell was in our family for quite a while.
Thanks for the replies and I apologize for bringing this back to the top.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the links below, there are bells with the same ā€˜1841ā€™ date as yours and with the same logo that appears to be some kind of winged animal (mythical, or real?) which I would guess is a trademark for the company that made them rather than just decoration:

Bell.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/large-brass-ships-bell-date-1841-305364394

https://live.adampartridge.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/144/lot/78844?url=/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/144?cat=93

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32459379...&customid=16360629279979368379812031000008005

Two of listings have the sellers saying these are ā€œshipā€™s bellsā€, with the suggestion they are from the 1800s. One of the listings shows the bell with a very un-nautical iron bracket, said to be a later addition.

My guess is that these bells are probably more recent and that 1841 might be the establishment date for the producing company/foundry. I would also question whether they are actually shipā€™s bells, except in the sense of being styled as such and suitable for that use (among many other uses). Thereā€™s a chandlery near me that sells ā€˜ships bellsā€™ but anyone can shop there, and many of the things they sell are bought for domestic and other uses. I think thatā€™s been the case for a long timeā€¦ chandlers sold their wares to all and sundry, not just to boat or ship owners.

I donā€™t know of any bell companies or foundries with an establishment date of 1841, or recognise the logo. I considered the possibility that the year 1841 might alternatively have some significance in the nautical community but all I could come up with is that the SS President, commanded by legendary captain Richard Roberts (and the largest ship in the world when commissioned) was lost with all 136 aboard off the Nantucket Shoals when making a return journey to Liverpool from New York. It was major news for months afterwards.

One curious thing is that the ā€˜1841ā€™ mark on this type of bell seems to have been copied in later times, as per the link below. The more modern bell shown is also said to be a shipā€™s bell and ā€œpart of a huge range of brassware made by a family run company in the hills above Lake Garda in Italyā€.

https://www.broughtons.com/store/product/118300/ships-bell-1841-21cm-polished-brass/

Upvote 1

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
@ pines antiques in Parys, South Africa listed under IMPORTED DECORATIONS / Bells-Hanging
they have a 1824,1834, 2 1841 with same logo winged thing, email and see where they were
imported from, JMO I'm thinking India the country, has made all sorts of brass items for years

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a better view of that mark from another bell which, although it also has the 1841 date, is clearly more recent. Anyone recognise what it's supposed to be? Has me beat. It would be easier to search for if we knew how to properly describe it!

Mystery.jpg

Lots of examples to be found all over the place. One from the Netherlands too.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
When I originally asked about this, I could not find a single pic that was even close. Now y'all are finding them all over the place. I am impressed and I thank you both for the info.

Upvote 1

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i messed with the wing looking thing, still cant figure out what it is
highlighted the high points in img

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 11.26.14 PM - Edited (2).png
    Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 11.26.14 PM - Edited (2).png
    175.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 11.26.14 PM - Edited (1).png
    Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 11.26.14 PM - Edited (1).png
    173.4 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0

JamieD

Feb 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thereā€™s a lot of these about on the internet. Most popular claim for provenance seems to be Dutch and 2nd half of the 20th century but I canā€™t track down a maker.

The most coherent version of the makers mark I can find is here:
I would say itā€™s a long necked, long legged bird standing on a snake (or possibly dragon?) with a letter v next to its neck.

Hopefully that might mean something to someone!

Jamie

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thereā€™s a lot of these about on the internet. Most popular claim for provenance seems to be Dutch and 2nd half of the 20th century but I canā€™t track down a maker.

The most coherent version of the makers mark I can find is here:
I would say itā€™s a long necked, long legged bird standing on a snake (or possibly dragon?) with a letter v next to its neck.

Hopefully that might mean something to someone!

Jamie
Did anyone suggest a "Fire Station" bell?

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liverpool was a seafaring town, the English ruled India, and India had a long established brass industry.

Featured on the Liverpool Coat of Arms and representing that city for over 800 years, the mythical Liver Bird might have been a bell worthy logo possibility ?

Liver Bird.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread