1841 bell identification?

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
I've been reading here for a while and thought maybe someone here could tell me something about this bell.
It's 8.5" across the bottom, 4.5" across the top, 6.5" high to the shoulder, and about 1/4" thick. I think it may be bronze.
The design on one side is badly worn, so I put some baby powder in it to try to bring out some extra detail.
There is no name, or other marking, on the bell.
It has a wonderful tone that lasts a LONG time.
I've been looking for info for a few years, but these are the first pictures I've been able to get that actually showed any kind of detail. Hope they show up.

Attachments

• bell1.jpg
    bell1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,847
  • bell3.jpg
    bell3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,063
  • bell6.jpg
    bell6.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,760
  • bell4.jpg
    bell4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,893
  • bell5.jpg
    bell5.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2,770

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
;D This looks like a old navy ships bell?? This one in the photo was from 1871 and is selling for $4700.00 . I'd keep that and do some research on it. Idig

Attachments

• ships bell.jpg
    ships bell.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 2,291
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
I was told years back that it was a railroad bell, but after looking around, I don't think I believe it. A ships bell sounds/looks more likely.
I'd be very happy if it was worth anywhere close to that bell pictured in your post. ;D

Upvote 1

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
I also think it might be a ship bell.
The link below is for a what is believed to be a WWII German ship bell.
what I think is interesting and is worth looking into is that
the engraving of what looks like a bird is on this bell
(very similar to your bell)
maybe denoting the bell company or the country???

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/Letters/ShipsbellfromtheGrafSpeeo.html

by the way....nice bell!!!

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
That looks a lot like the bell. The ridges around the bottom, the raised platform under the attachment point on top, and the engraving.

Now I have a better idea of where to look. I always assumed (yeah, I know :)) that it was an American bell.

Thank you.

You guys are good.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
I fear you may be right. I've spent the last little while searching through sites from Google, but I'm not having much luck...yet. I'd guess I'm about to learn more about bells than I ever dreamed of knowing ;D, if the kids and wife will let me at the computer.

Upvote 0

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
What a beautiful bell. It's amazing that if it is the same company that manufactured these as the one on the German ship Graf Spee that it had been in business for a long time 1841 (or earlier) through WWII.

Well you can use this as a dinner bell for the family ;)

Upvote 1

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
;D Old Nob,Just a thought,but most "Bell Makers" stamped a name,or location it was made. You might get some good ole Brasso" and start buffing the Bell!!! Then maybe you'll see some other writing.Its a great piece to keep and put up at your house.Would make a great dinner bell or in my case I can ring it when I'm out of "beer" and the wife can fetch me another one. :o :o Idig

Upvote 1

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
or in my case I can ring it when I'm out of "beer" and the wife can fetch me another one.

Now...That's impressive!! Ican't even intimidate my Grandson into fetching beer.

Lucky fella!

Tony

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Az Old Noob

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
Never needed to use it for a dinner bell, come time to eat, everybody's ready and waiting. I used to use on Christmas morn to wake the house :D. If I tried to use it to get the wife to bring me beer, I would probably get the beer upside the head. ;D

I have given this thing a serious look over for any other markings. If they were there, they ain't no more. And I don't really want to polish it. I don't think it would look as good.

Trusty, I'm inclined to believe you're right about the ship's name on the bell.

Upvote 1

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under that brosamers bells, it looks a lot like a cupola bell, #C287 under "onhand" topic. Monty

Upvote 0

caztraz

Feb 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I have a bell the very same as yours did you find out what it was used for as i have come to a dead end thanks

Upvote 0

henpitts

Dec 17, 2018
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late reply to this thread but another recycle center sent me an image of the same bell and wants info. Just now researching for him. bell.jpg

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Id nice Bell hope you get a chance to get the computer. lol

Upvote 0