1848 colonial large cent and etched brass!

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Macro Siplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on another sifting trip and found a few more nice pieces. I was able to find my first large cent, dated 1848. The condition isn’t great, but considering the soil conditions, I feel it’s as good as it’s going to get. The brass piece was a surprise. It was something I’ve passed over multiple times, but my detector hit it at just the right angle to register up consistently. I wasn’t too excited about it when I first dug it, as the lettering was not visible previously, but once I lightly cleaned it, the etching was made visible and appears to possibly be a name. The lettering appears to be added after the item broke, as the name appears to be complete and the lines beneath the letters are completely intact. I Apologize for the photos from my hand, as my family just remodeled our house and I don’t want to get any dirt on the new countertops.🤣🤣

Attachments

• D3DAB4AE-C877-4E47-8203-524AABD612A6.jpeg
    D3DAB4AE-C877-4E47-8203-524AABD612A6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
  • 1587D5CB-4FC3-4D8D-8F30-849BEB5BF4B1.jpeg
    1587D5CB-4FC3-4D8D-8F30-849BEB5BF4B1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 295C162C-6C7B-4000-BE60-4119CD0C8952.jpeg
    295C162C-6C7B-4000-BE60-4119CD0C8952.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 400517E0-8839-46F4-A872-D761C193E55B.jpeg
    400517E0-8839-46F4-A872-D761C193E55B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 88
Upvote 19

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went on another sifting trip and found a few more nice pieces. I was able to find my first large cent, dated 1848. The condition isn’t great, but considering the soil conditions, I feel it’s as good as it’s going to get. The brass piece was a surprise. It was something I’ve passed over multiple times, but my detector hit it at just the right angle to register up consistently. I wasn’t too excited about it when I first dug it, as the lettering was not visible previously, but once I lightly cleaned it, the etching was made visible and appears to possibly be a name. The lettering appears to be added after the item broke, as the name appears to be complete and the lines beneath the letters are completely intact. I Apologize for the photos from my hand, as my family just remodeled our house and I don’t want to get any dirt on the new countertops.🤣🤣
Nice largie! Congratulations

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on getting your first LC

Now it will come up better if you give it a soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide.
Lots of the organic crud will come off leaving better details.
Then some do soak in different solutions.
The Andre pencils will do a good job also.

Then again it's all yours now, and a first is always a great day.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it says Hurris Roberts? ....and dont worry bout the hands, have you not seen the tnet hand models holding their finds with their caloused palms and their manicured nails. Yours are in need of some work:laughing7:

OP
OP
Nathan6309

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for the congrats! It was definitely a surprise, as most coins from that area have dated from the 1880s to the 1890s, but the house site appears on maps all the way back to the 1840s and could potentially be even older. I’ve got some other finds from a previous trip that I forgot to post, including an 1893 Indian head penny, so I’ll be sure to post those when I get the chance. This site has produced a lot of firsts, so I’m gonna keep hammering it hard until I’m certain Ive cleaned it out!

OP
OP
Nathan6309

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting your first LC

Now it will come up better if you give it a soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide.
Lots of the organic crud will come off leaving better details.
Then some do soak in different solutions.
The Andre pencils will do a good job also.

Then again it's all yours now, and a first is always a great day.
Thanks pepperj for the cleaning options! I was considering doing a finer clean, as I feel there is definitely more detail beneath the crud. I’ll look into these methods and see which might be the best plan of attack for my particular coin. Coins this old are definitely a first for me, as the majority of my coins have dated at the oldest the 1880s, so most of those coins aren’t quite as frail as this large cent.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it says Hurris Roberts? ....and dont worry bout the hands, have you not seen the tnet hand models holding their finds with their caloused palms and their manicured nails. Yours are in need of some work:laughing7:
The hand model comment stirs memories of George Castanza and Seinfeld...

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Nathan6309

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to the name, I believe it might read "Hurris Putents." I will try to hit it again with some intense light and magnifiers to see what I can come up with. After a quick search online, I have been able to confirm that both names exist, but I havent been able to find any record of a putents in botetourt.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
brass ashtray.JPG
I can't quite make out the name. It may be a piece of a brass advertisement ashtray. I doubt it is the name of a local person.

brass piece.jpg

OP
OP
Nathan6309

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2030074 I can't quite make out the name. It may be a piece of a brass advertisement ashtray. I doubt it is the name of a local person.

View attachment 2030075
Agreed, DCMatt. I’ve scoured through every census record and map I could find, and there’s no reference to this person, so it definitely could be off of an advertising piece of some sort.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a company called 'Harris Patents Co.' In the early 20th C they made valves and some kind of internal combustion engine. Maybe your bit is from a valve key/knob? Leonard B. Harris was the patent holder.

OP
OP
Nathan6309

Nathan6309

May 15, 2018
Botetourt County, Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a company called 'Harris Patents Co.' In the early 20th C they made valves and some kind of internal combustion engine. Maybe your bit is from a valve key/knob? Leonard B. Harris was the patent holder.
Wow! I believe you hit the nail right on top of the head DCMatt. That is some incredible sleuthing work on your behalf. Thank you so much for the assistance with that piece, as I wasn’t really covering any ground with my research. I’ll look into them more and see what I can find.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great saves, wtg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice you did good !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread