1853 Permission

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I managed to get a nice permission on a home that was built in 1853. The lot is huge, I only managed to get about half of the front yard string lined and detected today. I ran out of steam since I was digging ALL targets. I normally don't do that but this site is old enough to warrant digging it all.

I ended up digging a Buffalo Nickel, a War Nickel, 2 Indian Head Pennies, a V-Nickel, a foreign coin, a 3 Ringer Bullet, a Skeleton Key, a neat lock, a Sterling Silver Barret, a Mercury Dime, a bunch of Wheat Pennies and some other stuff.

After resting my sore muscles, I'm going to hit it hard again tomorrow. I'll probably concentrate on the backyard since it's the part of the HUGE yard that has been subdivided and is going to be developed first. It's no telling what I might find. That home has a very interesting history. 5 or 6 kids grew up in that home and none of the family got the yellow fever. The father was a land developer and started buying up masses amount of land around him as the yellow fever took its toll.

Oh yeah, I took the owners of the home a quart of canned homegrown tomatoes and a quart of bread and butter pickles that I canned since I didn't have any fresh homegrown tomatoes to give them. It pays to be nice!

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    642.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    565 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    775.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    752.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    710.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    744.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 38

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great first trip in. You have some sweet keepers there. You should be tired, you dug lots of targets there. Good luck on your return trips. Awesome day!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Worth every pickle!

Tab, I like the stringing idea to help grid. Are you using it to mark the edge of your sweep or walking over it as the middle? I couldn’t tell from the picture but I suspect it marks the edge (easy to tangle walking over it I imagine). Is it off the ground so the coil could slip under at the end of the sweep or on the ground since the coil can go over easily enough?

Dig

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that`s a nice place to hunt !
Yeah, once they told me the history of the site, it got pumped up. Six kids are going to lose some stuff.

yeah, places like that need all signals dug. good luck on the next hunts there. should be interesting
I'm packed up and ready to head out in the morning. That home is over 50+ years older than the 1915 homes in the neighborhood.

Great job!!! What a beautiful property I have a feeling you’re gonna find some bucket listers. Congratulations on the unbelievable permission.
Thanks! I sure hope that I find some good stuff tomorrow. It being pre-civil war, I had a feeling that I'd a 3 ringer.

Great first trip in. You have some sweet keepers there. You should be tired, you dug lots of targets there. Good luck on your return trips. Awesome day!
I'll popped an Aleve and be good to go. Also being at a great site keeps my energy level up.

Worth every pickle!

Tab, I like the stringing idea to help grid. Are you using it to mark the edge of your sweep or walking over it as the middle? I couldn’t tell from the picture but I suspect it marks the edge (easy to tangle walking over it I imagine). Is it off the ground so the coil could slip under at the end of the sweep or on the ground since the coil can go over easily enough?

Dig
I'm sweeping 3 feet of BOTH sides before moving the string 6 feet. It sure makes things easier when you're detecting such a large area and you want to make sure that you get your search coil over every inch of the site.

tabman

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the kind of property that would warrant a month long treasure hunt!! And, then go back once every so often with a different machine and different grid pattern.
Great hunt, tabman.......and congrats on a wonderful permission!!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great permission Tab! Love the variety of finds, can't wait to see what else you pull out of there.:icon_thumleft:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the awesome permission! There is a very evil pull tab that was made just for detectorists to find at the top center of you trash pic with the words printed on it “Try Again”...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I wish I had a honey hole like that that could be years of detecting and pulling out goodies like those Well done. Tommy

Briggs99

Greenie
Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get a nice permission on a home that was built in 1853. The lot is huge, I only managed to get about half of the front yard string lined and detected today. I ran out of steam since I was digging ALL targets. I normally don't do that but this site is old enough to warrant digging it all.

I ended up digging a Buffalo Nickel, a War Nickel, 2 Indian Head Pennies, a V-Nickel, a foreign coin, a 3 Ringer Bullet, a Skeleton Key, a neat lock, a Sterling Silver Barret, a Mercury Dime, a bunch of Wheat Pennies and some other stuff.

After resting my sore muscles, I'm going to hit it hard again tomorrow. I'll probably concentrate on the backyard since it's the part of the HUGE yard that has been subdivided and is going to be developed first. It's no telling what I might find. That home has a very interesting history. 5 or 6 kids grew up in that home and none of the family got the yellow fever. The father was a land developer and started buying up masses amount of land around him as the yellow fever took its toll.

Oh yeah, I took the owners of the home a quart of canned homegrown tomatoes and a quart of bread and butter pickles that I canned since I didn't have any fresh homegrown tomatoes to give them. It pays to be nice!

tabman

Finding a yellow fever incineration area would be a smart goal. Because the disease was misunderstood, burning much of what a person wore or touched was common especially by the British. I’ve found 4 areas in Bermuda and we’ve found hundreds of thousands of pieces from coins/jewelry to rare bottles/pottery.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tabman

oh my, you are going to find a lot of cool stuff at that site, and you are off to a great start. Love all the finds, especially love that silver! wtg and thanks for the post (you need some help?) :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread